This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Thought Hurrrrah Until This Morning...

rgarton

rgarton Contributor

Since last friday i started feeling like myself again, it was wonderful, I wasn't as anxious, i had energy back and started doing what i used to do again, plus no funny tummy! I was slightly constipated but had been that way for years so i was happy it was that way instead of the big D! I did have some mucus still from last week, but it wasn't hugely bothersome. Anyway i wake up monday morning, have a almost (for us!) normal BM, then an hour later i had some lower cramping and had to go again, which is very unusual for me, then i had HUGE amounts (TMI) of loose stool, it wasn't diarreah, and i dont feel anything else, i feel fine other than the cramping! It didnt hurt or anything, and it wasnt hard to flush or anything just really soft! Yesterday i ate lots of fruit and salad, and on saturday i started taking pro-biotics, on your guys advice :) Is it possible, i was slightly backed up and today is the day its deciding to venture out? I hate this because im scared of being ill, and it makes me slightly shakey afterwards and not wanting to eat anything, which makes me feel worse! I've called my doctor so i can have a chat but man thye really dont seem to get how distruptive and emotionally draining it is for one person! Does anyone else get this way from being constipated or just anything like this at all?! When the hell is it going to regulate and calm down? I'm tired and sick of this! It makes me house bound and at 21 that IS NOT GOOD! Sorry for the rant, but any feedback will be much appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Medusa Newbie

It took ages for my insides to go back to normal after I quit gluten - not unreasonable, after a lifetime of damage! In fact, for a couple of weeks after an initial honeymoon period, I actually felt worse before getting better again. But I did get better! Hang in there! :)

Depending upon how sensitive you are, cross contamination could be an issue, even from cooking utensils, etc. My daughter got quite sick from gluten-free bread made in a very well-washed teflon lined bread making machine. We are going to have to bin it and get another one... She has also had problems with the "gluten free" school meals cooked with the same utensils and equipment as the ordinary meals. Sometimes washing stuff thoroughly just isn't enough. If you are sharing cooking facilities with non-gluten-free cooks it is worth having your own pots and pans, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

YoloGx Rookie

It took ages for my insides to go back to normal after I quit gluten - not unreasonable, after a lifetime of damage! In fact, for a couple of weeks after an initial honeymoon period, I actually felt worse before getting better again. But I did get better! Hang in there! :)

Depending upon how sensitive you are, cross contamination could be an issue, even from cooking utensils, etc. My daughter got quite sick from gluten-free bread made in a very well-washed teflon lined bread making machine. We are going to have to bin it and get another one... She has also had problems with the "gluten free" school meals cooked with the same utensils and equipment as the ordinary meals. Sometimes washing stuff thoroughly just isn't enough. If you are sharing cooking facilities with non-gluten-free cooks it is worth having your own pots and pans, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

What Medusa said is totally right. Suspect cross contamination (CC). I didn't get well until I changed my shampoo and makeup, cleaning products and even hand lotion. You also would need to put your oven in a self cleaning cycle--or if that isn't possible get one of those small portable electric ovens. If it is self cleaning, you can put your iron pots and pans in there too. Otherwise you need to toss them and get new ones. Don't trust fine sieves and collanders either--they are hard to clean out all the gluten from things like pasta etc.

Further, eating a lot of fruit can cause loose stools all by themselves. Some folks too are allergic to various fruits--or even to fructose (like me).

Plus the pro-biotics take some getting used to if you haven't been using them before. Start with a small dose first.

You may also need to eat cooked vegetables at first. As your system normalizes, you then should be able to handle salads again.

I regularly use magnesium citrate (which I take with calcium and zinc and liquid sea minerals) to help counteract my tendency to be constipated. Again start with a minimal dose and work yourself up to bowel tolerance, and then back down a little. If you take too much you will get D big time... Magnesium has a host of other benefits, amongst which are enzymatic actions that are essential for healthy nerves and bones.

In addition, if you have a boyfriend or a small child, make sure they wash their hands and face and brush their teeth (and rinse!) before kissing them. After shaking someone's hand, be sure to wash yours afterwards before putting your hands to your face...

Its also very possible that at first you need to avoid all milk products (except maybe plain yogurt). You may also benefit from taking pancreatic enzymes, or bromelain/papain (or eat pineapple and/or papaya).

Good luck--and do let us know how you are doing.

Bea

Archived