19 replies to this topic

#16 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

Thanks, Poppi. I just bought a couple dozen from a small farm. They are free range, and they eat well. AND, they taste SO much better than the store bought eggs.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

*cough* Actually, there is a potential cc issue for gluten-fed poultry. But it's NOT that it somehow stays in the tissues without being broken down or anything. It has to do with the undigested grains in the poultry when it is slaughtered, and the defeathering process.

Most poultry is defeathered in a drum-like machine that rolls them over and over, with protrusions that the carcass runs up against as it rolls and these take off the feathers. Some of the contents of the bowels typically leak out at this time and will get on the skin of the bird. Some farmers will do more to ensure more of the bowels are eliminated before defeathers, and some don't.

It is sterilized after the carcass is defeathered, but it can't usually get rid of all the gluten on the skin at that point.

So this can be an issue for someone who is really sensitive.

Re: eggs. I've now met one person with celiac disease, and two with wheat allergies, who get very sick eating eggs from chickens fed wheat. With chickens that were pasture fed with corn supplementation, they don't have an issue.

And I know one gal who is allergic to corn, and she has to make sure her eggs are only fed wheat, rye, barley. She's a celiac, but has no problem with the eggs from wheat fed chickens. My kids get similar eggs, both are gluten-free, and neither seem to have trouble with those eggs either.

Seems like you'd have to be REALLY sensitive for this to be an issue, ya know?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#18 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

I don't think I'm, going to add the defeathering of chickens to my list of gluten worries. And you do know that chickens are then washed and should be washed by the consumer as well?

richard

#19 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

And you do know that chickens are then washed and should be washed by the consumer as well?

Yes, I'm aware. Doesn't really get all the nooks and crannies, though, rather like trying to wash gluten out of a collander...only slimier, heh.

The poultry seems just fine for most of the celiacs in the family, but a couple of us got a gluten reaction the majority of the time we tried chicken, so we stay away from it for the moment.

Perhaps someday I'll find some poultry that's plucked by hand, or not fed gluten grains, and check out how we do on it, but it's lower on my priority list for the moment.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#20 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

Dogtorj has an article about consuming meat from gluten-fed animals on his website. http://dogtorj.com/w...-glutenization/

If the link doesn't work, the article is "Secondary Glutenization".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: