This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Was Doing Well, Now Feeling Bad Again

cgd

cgd Newbie

I started the gluten-free diet a week and a half ago and did really well for a week. Now, my stomach is bloated after every meal, I have gas from hell, and I had a headache again today. What gives? I've been strict with the diet. Is it possible this isn't my problem? The first week went so well, but then things went downhill. Help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

You will be lucky to see any improvement so fast. It takes time to heal. It took me 8 months to get to normal. I was getting alot better by the 3rd month though.

Just stick to it, it will be worth it but don't expect such a quick change. Everyone varies with times of when their symptoms go away. It depends on damage done, age, etc

lgranott Rookie

When I first started, there were so many times that I thought I was strictly gluten-free and I found out that I wasn't, over and over again. Things that I never would have thought of, like shampoo... Or ingredients that I didn't realize were gluten. There is also cross-contamination. Products that have no gluten listed, or dishes ordered in restaurants that appear to be gluten-free are sometimes contaminated without you even realizing it.

Aside from contamination, it does take a while to feel better. Often months until you are really doing well most of the time. There are setbacks and foods that are hard to digest, like raw veggies can still be hard for your unhealed body.

Do you know if you are sensitive to dairy? that is often the case.

Hmm... what else? You might want to keep a food log for a while to see what exactly you are eating, and log any reactions you may have. One of the problems is that a reaction might not be immediate, so you can't just look at what you just finished eating.

I am certainly no expert, as this is all fairly new to me too, but you came to the right place. There are so many wonderful helpful people in this comunity with a wealth of knowledge. Take some time to read some of the threads. A lot of questions will get answered.

Good luck!

Liatt

cgd Newbie

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I've tried to be strict, but you're right, the restaurant-ordered dishes might be cross-contaminated. And the raw veggies and such might be hard to digest. Time, as Kaiti pointed out, is also something to consider, and I shouldn't expect improvement so fast. It was just weird to be doing so well, then have this happen, not to mention disappointing.

I do have a hiatal hernia, and that might be rearing its head with the diet change, or maybe it would have decided to act up anyhow. Maybe I need to consider some digestive enzymes or something.

This place is great, and I've been reading a lot of the threads. So much great information!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics are great. L-Glutamine is great for intestinal healing too. All of these are not for everyone but they worked great for me.

You just can't expect to feel better so soon..just keep doing what you are doing and it will come.

Also, looking at shampoos/cosmetics and all that stuff is a good idea to do because you may be getting glutened that way

cgd Newbie

Thanks for giving me some perspective. I did change my lotion (St. Ives) because it contains wheat germ oil. I think the face makeup is OK (Clinique), but who knows. I don't use much lipstick, mainly just Carmex. I'll have to pick up some enzymes and L-glutamine.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Alot of Clinique is not gluten free. I had to throw my stuff out. I use Bare Escentuals because that whole line of makeup is gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cgd Newbie
Alot of Clinique is not gluten free. I had to throw my stuff out. I use Bare Escentuals because that whole line of makeup is gluten free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops, I'd better change makeup brands then.

cgilsing Enthusiast

When I went gluten-free I felt better right afterwards too...but then relapsed off and on for a long time. They're right....it took me a long time to really get a strict gluten-free diet too. I remember going out to eat a week or so after I started trying to be gluten-free.. I thought it would be ok to eat the filling out of an egg roll as long as I didn't eat the outside breading.....I was sadly mistaken....sick within hours.... You will get there though! I just searched all over the house looking for this book that I have that lists all the hidden glutens on lables so I could recomend it......I can't find it but if I do I'll post it later....in the mean time beware of products listed with natural flavors, or spices on the lables. Sometimes they hide gluten under those names. If you call the company though they can usually clear it up for you! Oh and Kraft food will always lable their products with wheat, rye, barley....etc. So I eat a lot of Kraft stuff! Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!

Archived