This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Sick And Tired Of It!

BeHappy

BeHappy Apprentice

Im sick and tired of all these food companies that write GLUTEN FREE on their labels, just to find out there's enough gluten in it to set an uproar in a celiac's indsides.

Im sick and tired of all these candy companies that you would never even think would have gluten in it, has a teeny tiny drop of gluten listed in its ingredients.

I'm sick and tired of all the people out there who judge my daughter as if she's an immature baby when I know it's all because she ate gluten a week before.

I'm sick and tired of people commenting "MY! She's so SHORT!"

I'm sick and tired of ignorant people who no matter how much you TRY and educate them on celiac disease still manage to comment "SOMEONE HAD AN ACCIDENT!!!! IT STINKS!!"

I'm sick and tired of spending a buttload of money every week for simple things like noodles and a tiny loaf of bread.

I'm sick and tired of preparing double the amount of meals, just to find out that my celiac doesn't have an appetite because she's still recovering from that stupid minute amount of gluten that was hiding in her food a week ago.

I'm sick and tired of people telling me I should leave my daughter back with the younger grades because she seems so "shy and anxious" at times. She MUST be immature and dumb. No matter how much you try and explain to people how gluten also affects the behavior of a celiac, they just think they know better.

I'm SICK AND TIRED of a TEENY TINY little drop of gluten will set my celiac off track for 2 full weeks!! 2 FULL WEEKS!!!!

and I'm SICK AND TIRED of people just NOT GETTING IT.

Feel free to add.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I Totally understand where you're coming from!! The only thing I can add is I'M SICK and TIRED of being SICK and TIRED!

shadowicewolf Proficient

In one ear, out the other i say.

T.H. Community Regular

Ditto and Ditto again! :angry:

And to add:

I'm sick and tired of adults who think they always know better than a child. The ones who get angry at my child and her 'stubbornness' and 'disrespect' because she says "I'm sorry, I can't eat that. It's not safe for me."

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I wanted to strangle the little boy on my son's baseball team who thought it was funny to shove gluten in my son's face and say "here! eat it!" after DS said it would make him sick.

And some (insert curse word) who told me I was a picky eater! I managed to correct her in a long winded boring lecture about diarrhea for days and vomiting while she ate her breakfast.

Mummyto3 Contributor

I'm sure I will be able to add as time goes on. Already I'm freaking out about how much more money it's going to cost to feed my coeliac daughter (and poss me too). Why can't gluten free be the same price as everything else??? It feels like they're playing people who have to buy these products. The bread is the worst on price and size. I'm sick and tired of my daughters behaviour which I'm absolutely sure is down to gluten but I'm not allowed to take her off it until her biopsy is done :( I know its not her fault but it's still very difficult for us. I worry constantly they're going to find something else inside her thats causing her constipation (family illnesses). I pray her soiling will come to an end soon and she can feel like a normal child again.

Hawthorn Rookie

I'm sick and tired of it being an issue for everyone else that I have to be gluten free. Why does it concern THEM so much....not forcing them to do it ;)

Also of people telling me that if I just exercised, thought positive, changed my hairstyle, changed my make up, bought new clothes etc I would feel better. They wouldn't say all that if I had a broken leg but gluten is just as debilitating. Only they can't see it. Because they can't see it, it's all in my head.

So in short, I guess I'm sick of other people thinking they know what's best for me when they know nothing and should look after their own lives first, because they are far from perfect too :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mummyto3 Contributor

I'm sick and tired of it being an issue for everyone else that I have to be gluten free. Why does it concern THEM so much....not forcing them to do it ;)

Also of people telling me that if I just exercised, thought positive, changed my hairstyle, changed my make up, bought new clothes etc I would feel better. They wouldn't say all that if I had a broken leg but gluten is just as debilitating. Only they can't see it. Because they can't see it, it's all in my head.

So in short, I guess I'm sick of other people thinking they know what's best for me when they know nothing and should look after their own lives first, because they are far from perfect too :P

I went to a dr yesterday about my extreme fatigue and back pain and all she could say was, 'I don't know what's wrong' and 'try exercising'. Being extremely fatigued and in pain, exercising is the last thing I want to do!!!

akate Newbie

I'm sick and tired of not being able to go out to dinner or lunch. I'm sick and tired of feeling depressed. I'm sick of the food prices and variety. Most of it tastes disgusting!

Roda Rising Star

I can relate. My 6 year old and I just got back from vacation to my parents house. We were so careful during my nephew's graduation party and had our own food. We both got glutened and to top it off a virus to go with it. My 10 year old and hubby got the virus several days later, but my youngest and I are still feeling the effects of the gluten. Until the other two got sick I wasn't sure if we had gotten glutened or if we were sick with something else. It is so hard to tell sometimes. But safe to say we had BOTH and it wasn't fun.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm sick and tired of people commenting about how "healthy" my lunch looks when I take my own salad with cooked chicken strips, dried cranberries and almonds and some fruit for my dessert.

I'm sick and tired of people assuming I'm on some sort of weight loss diet or just a health nut because I don't buy a lot of processed foods.

I'm sick and tired of the cost of MEAT going up because of high gas prices--just in the past three months 2 lbs of bison has increased from 9.99 to 14.99 at BJ's.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I went to a dr yesterday about my extreme fatigue and back pain and all she could say was, 'I don't know what's wrong' and 'try exercising'. Being extremely fatigued and in pain, exercising is the last thing I want to do!!!

Have you tried taking iron supplements? My thryoid levels were normal but my fatigue was horrid. Then I took iron pills and I was a new person. I don't take them all the time. I take breaks and then go back on.

shayre Enthusiast

Oh, you guys...I'm having a positive day today, but I'm all too happy to join in!

I am SICK of not being able to go out to eat. I am sick of not being able to let my kids join in other kid's gluten fun without getting glutened myself. I am sick of my son asking me if we can stop for a burger or have regular pizza, and having to crush him. I'm tired of telling them that you have to...basically...eat food you don't like...or it will kill mommy! Not in those exact words of course. I'm sick of being too afraid of going on vacation, or staying at someones house. Most of all...I'M SICK OF ALWAYS STARVING! My husband is sick of paying hundreds of dollars per week on grocery bills, and I'm sick of seeing a lot of it going in the trash cause my kids won't eat. I'm sick of having to ask my husband what he ate for the day, before I kiss him...or being afraid of even being touched by hubby or the kids until I know that they are safe. I'm sick of meeting family for dinner or a gathering and being too afraid for anyone to touch me. Also another most of all...I am sick of finding out that safe foods have gluten contamination in them, and not knowing that's what is affecting me.

Ahhh...I feel better.

melikamaui Explorer

Hear hear to all! I am sick of people (who don't have to deal with allergies or celiac disease) telling me how wonderful it all is now. How much gluten-free food there is in their local grocery store, etc. Never mind the fact that my son can't eat those "gluten-free" foods because they don't have proper labeling precautions here in the states, and as a super sensitive celiac he can't eat anything unless it's 100% pure. Never mind the fact that this supposedly wonderful gluten-free food is 3 times the amount of money they are spending for the same stuff. And never mind the fact that it tastes like garbage! I feel like I may scream the next time someone tells me how wonderful their local grocery store's gluten-free section is.

BeHappy Apprentice

Oh, you guys...I'm having a positive day today, but I'm all too happy to join in!

I am SICK of not being able to go out to eat. I am sick of not being able to let my kids join in other kid's gluten fun without getting glutened myself. I am sick of my son asking me if we can stop for a burger or have regular pizza, and having to crush him. I'm tired of telling them that you have to...basically...eat food you don't like...or it will kill mommy! Not in those exact words of course. I'm sick of being too afraid of going on vacation, or staying at someones house. Most of all...I'M SICK OF ALWAYS STARVING! My husband is sick of paying hundreds of dollars per week on grocery bills, and I'm sick of seeing a lot of it going in the trash cause my kids won't eat. I'm sick of having to ask my husband what he ate for the day, before I kiss him...or being afraid of even being touched by hubby or the kids until I know that they are safe. I'm sick of meeting family for dinner or a gathering and being too afraid for anyone to touch me. Also another most of all...I am sick of finding out that safe foods have gluten contamination in them, and not knowing that's what is affecting me.

Ahhh...I feel better.

YES!!!! Or how about when people say "Ok, at least you know what it is...coulda been worse..." Easy for you to say as you bite into your fried high gluten donut and sip your milkshake!!!!

come dance with me Enthusiast

Apparently if I feed her 'normal' food (and let her be a child) instead of reading labels all the time her other problems will solve themselves. Her other problems being that she has Autism, a hole in her heart and a faulty kidney when in actual fact she was born that way and with the new diet she has now gained weight and her other problems that we associate with Coeliacs are easing off!

(BTW she now weighs what the average 5yo weighs even though she's the height of the average 8yo but 5 months ago she weighed what the average 4yo weighed so she's still below healthy for an almost 8yo but getting there!)

Lucky those people are not people we have to listen to!

Brenna'sMom Newbie

I'm sick of the Wal-Mart greeter pushing stickers at my dd, and saying, "Now don't forget to go to the bakery, and get your free cookie." Then looking at me like I'm the meanest, nastiest mother who ever lived when I say she can't have the cookie. Not to mention being sick of the being the mean, nasty mommy who won't let my 4 year old get that cookie. :angry:

I'm sick of my dh, who agreed the whole family should go gluten-free (I, too, am celiac as it turns out), unless his oldest dd and her family come over, then it's a gluten free for all. He wonders why I'm upset, and B and I are both sick. I wish he would get a clue about contamination!

I'm sick of trying to educate the school nurse about celiac and B's reactions, when her response to me is "Now, don't you worry, dear. We're going to take care of your sweet girl, and if she should accidently get some gluten, I'll have her epi-pen right there waiting." ARRGGGGGHHHHHH!

srall Contributor

ON top of ever one already mentioned, I am sick and tired of the fact that every time we take a trip or go to a party I spend the day in the kitchen preparing food instead of getting ready. We're leaving town tonight for a trip and I'm in the kitchen making bread and beans and rice...not to mention all the clothes I have to leave behind so I have room in our suitcases for food. And...I really don't have time to be online :) But I totally sympathize with everybody.

mikyraso Rookie

Hear hear to all! I am sick of people (who don't have to deal with allergies or celiac disease) telling me how wonderful it all is now. How much gluten-free food there is in their local grocery store, etc. Never mind the fact that my son can't eat those "gluten-free" foods because they don't have proper labeling precautions here in the states, and as a super sensitive celiac he can't eat anything unless it's 100% pure. Never mind the fact that this supposedly wonderful gluten-free food is 3 times the amount of money they are spending for the same stuff. And never mind the fact that it tastes like garbage! I feel like I may scream the next time someone tells me how wonderful their local grocery store's gluten-free section is.

I hear you. I am sick and tired of all these wonderful gluten-free foods not only being 3x's the price but half the size, UGH !!!!.I am also SICK and oh so TIRED of keeping a food journal and trying to figure out which of the supposed Gluten-free foods my beautiful DD .has consumed is making her belly sound like she has fireworks exploding and snarling monster inside her ready to attack. I am also SICK and TIRED of feeling like I am LOOSING my MIND because every night my DD is complaining her TUMMY hurts REALLY bad AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO HELP HER PAIN GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has a suggestion for easing tummy troubles PLEASE SHARE.I NEED HELP!!!!! We went away to Hershey this past Saturday. They said they had gluten free: hot dogs , chips, Popsicle, and pickles, and drinks. Then we went to our friends house over night and had breakfast. She made scram eggs, Oscar Myer bacon, fresh fruit, and OJ. Oh we went to WEndy's 2x's and had the Chili and Choc. Frosty. Breakfast I thought we were careful but when we cam home Sunday night she said her tummy hurt and then again tonight. I just don't know if this was from this trip. Her tummy pain is happening so often anymore I am just loosing my mind tryin to figure out when or what was the culprit. One good thing Ithat has come out of this I don't have as much time to think about my own digestive trouble when my DD is having her own.

mom2m2j Newbie

Oh my, if I wasn't worried and freaking out enough about my DD being recenty diagnosed I am now. At least I have a heads up about more things to expect and watch out for.

Archived