9 replies to this topic

#1 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

I was wondering why Planters nuts are said to be safe and are not produced in a gluten containing facility, yet when I look at their trail mixes, it says that those were processed in a gluten containing facility. Is it possible that their nuts and their trail mixes are produced in 2 separate facilities, the latter one containing gluten? I heard their nuts were safe but seeing this cross contamination issue with their trail mixes is making me think twice with their nuts...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

Good question.

http://planters.cust...WQvOVlUKmNDeGs=

How do I obtain allergen information for your products?
A:
Our Consumer Representatives available at 1-877-535-5666 will be happy to help you with any questions you have regarding allergens and our products.

If you would like more information about food allergies in general, check out the The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network website.

They seem to be a Kraft product and they are good about labeling. You might give them a call tomorrow & see what they say.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

thanks for your info, kareng.

#4 RPM

RPM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

most likely it's two different facilities, plenty of companies have the same set up going on...i don't think i've seen anybody get sick from a kraft product and i've had their nuts plenty of times with no issues...if they were made in a facility with gluten, it would say it, just like how the trail nuts do

#5 BurningItOff

BurningItOff

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Good question.

http://planters.cust...WQvOVlUKmNDeGs=

How do I obtain allergen information for your products?
A:
Our Consumer Representatives available at 1-877-535-5666 will be happy to help you with any questions you have regarding allergens and our products.

If you would like more information about food allergies in general, check out the The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network website.

They seem to be a Kraft product and they are good about labeling. You might give them a call tomorrow & see what they say.

Ah ha!! Thanks kareng!

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Planters is indeed a Kraft brand, and Kraft will clearly list any source of gluten in the ingredients, no matter how small the amount.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

we buy Planters and have had no problems. Can't believe how many brands of nuts have wheat in them. What's with that! :angry:

#8 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

i don't think i've seen anybody get sick from a kraft product

*cough* uh...actually, lemme raise my hand on that one. ;) I have trouble with Kraft brands, usually. I'm more sensitive than most, however. My father and brother are less sensitive and seem to eat them without trouble.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#9 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

see, my problem is that I don't have any reaction when I'm glutened. Which is great, but also a problem because I don't know if I continue to accidentally consume gluten which is preventing me from healing. I will get my blood rechecked in October in Chicago, but 3 months ago, my antibodies were still very elevated, despite being on the gluten free diet for a year.

#10 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

and, yes, I hate it that nuts are all processed in facilities with wheat! Very annoying. I can't seem to find any nuts in my town that are safe besides Planters (which only have limited types of nuts, mostly salted). I just make an order from nutsonline.com but they were SO expensive. Urghh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: