8 replies to this topic

#1 Coinkey

Coinkey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows of an alternative to butter that does not contain - gluten, soy or dairy? If it's a lost cause, can you give me ideas on:
How to flavor my veggies so they are a little more enticing
How to replace butter in recipes appropriately/ get over not being able to eat buttery things

Any tips appreciated, even if it is "Suck it up, Buttercup!"
Self diagnosed as gluten free as all tests were negative and the doctor was completely useless.

Gluten Free since June 2010
Suspecting soy and milk as of June 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

Coconut oil works well in bakery that's not too finicky or in recipes written for it.

I used olive or peanut oil on the stovetop. Sesame oil can also add a little elan, as does walnut oil if you just want a little fat on them. If you've got specific foods/recipes, we'll have better ideas.

i.e. grean beans = great with sesame oil, spinach = wonderful with olive oil and garlic, etc

-->if you don't want to bother with herbs/spices, you can make yourself a couple little bottles of infused oils or vinegars to use on your regular veg.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows of an alternative to butter that does not contain - gluten, soy or dairy? If it's a lost cause, can you give me ideas on:
How to flavor my veggies so they are a little more enticing
How to replace butter in recipes appropriately/ get over not being able to eat buttery things

Any tips appreciated, even if it is "Suck it up, Buttercup!"

Check out Earth Balance, Buttercup! ;) :D

http://www.earthbala...fits/allergies/
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

I thought I answered this topic already, what happened to my response?

ETA: Oh, never mind, it was a similar thread yesterday: http://www.celiac.co...ter-substitute/

Hope those answers help you some. :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

I thought I answered this topic already, what happened to my response?

ETA: Oh, never mind, it was a similar thread yesterday: http://www.celiac.co...ter-substitute/

Hope those answers help you some. :)

That's what I get for being a little lazy today. I briefly thought about searching for a similar post but couldn't be bothered... and my veg had already been tossed in the pot. Yes, those answered did help. I am wondering now if the Earth Farm? (bad memory....) soy free replacement is available in Canada, the website seemed to be for the US.

I used Almond Milk to help stick the herbs to my cauliflower and broccoli- it was actually quite nice.
Self diagnosed as gluten free as all tests were negative and the doctor was completely useless.

#6 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

ahem... Earth Balance.... hehehe.

So, it seems like I will be going on a hunt for flavorful oils, herbs, spices and Earth Balance soy free spread.

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

That's what I get for being a little lazy today. I briefly thought about searching for a similar post but couldn't be bothered... and my veg had already been tossed in the pot. Yes, those answered did help. I am wondering now if the Earth Farm? (bad memory....) soy free replacement is available in Canada, the website seemed to be for the US.

I used Almond Milk to help stick the herbs to my cauliflower and broccoli- it was actually quite nice.

No worries! I was just really confused because I thoguht I had answered and my answer was not in the thread. That will teach me to read who is asking the question! :lol:
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

ahem... Earth Balance.... hehehe.

So, it seems like I will be going on a hunt for flavorful oils, herbs, spices and Earth Balance soy free spread.

MAKE sure you get the SOY FREE Earth Balance -it is the RED tub. :) Hubby does the shopping (what a doll, I know) and made a boo-boo with the wrong EB and had to bring it back :(

BTW...you gave one of my favorite answers to a question about CC and people who do not believe it's possible--you said to pick your nose and wipe the boogers and then put your finger in the dip--that was you, right? That was AWESOME!!! :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Ten thumbs up for Earth Balance...soy,dairy,gluten free, in the red and yellow container. It costs about $4.49 for a 15 oz. container. I use it all the time for baking and on vegetables. Before this product became available, I used coconut oil on veggies, and still do from time to time, especially on corn on the cob. I don't miss margarine at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: