42 replies to this topic

#16 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:44 AM

I was given my produce in a washed out Subway bag at the farmer's market once. That didn't make me too happy. Who knows how carefully it was washed out?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

I was given my produce in a washed out Subway bag at the farmer's market once. That didn't make me too happy. Who knows how carefully it was washed out?

They actually washed the bag? Never seen that. :blink:

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#18 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

Thanks, Shauna; that's pretty interesting re: sweet potatoes- "sigh" is right, eh?!

Take care,
lisa

#19 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

OMG. This all makes one want to quit eating! IS anything safe? How about some wine anyone? :P

#20 padma

padma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

The one farmer I spoke to the most on this didn't sell the rye but rather dug it back into the soil. It's one of those things where I don't actually know what the risk level is, you know?

I imagine that some of the grain is likely broken up when it is dug back in, and I don't know how long it takes for the outer coating of the grain to break down in the soil, and how concentrated it is in the soil, and how that might translate into contact with the sweet potatoes, or whether there is enough grain on the top of the soil left that it could contaminate the sweet potatoes as they're being dug up.

To my mind, it's more an issue of proximity with a grain that is problematic, so it's a slightly higher risk than sweet potatoes that do not use rye as a cover crop - not all do, by the way! Sorry if I gave that impression. It's just something that is used by some farmers with their sweet potatoes. Kind of like some farmers gas their sweet potatoes to keep them from sprouting, and some put a wax coating on them (organic and conventional, both).

Really a pain in the butt to find out which farmers do what, though, unless you can talk to the actual farmer, sigh.

I was raised on a sweet potato farm and none of the farmers, including my family, used any cover crops. Cover crops are expensive and in many places will not grow in the winter. Yams are planted in CA in April and May, if the rainy season is past. No time for a cover crop.

Someone made a comment about wine. Not seeing it on this thread. I found out wine has a high % gluten.

#21 padma

padma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

OMG. This all makes one want to quit eating! IS anything safe? How about some wine anyone? :P

Sorry, I couldn't find your little post.
I came across an article about wine and gluten. Wine in oak barrels has gluten in the "paste" used to seal the staves. In Europe, they have a standard that wine can not have more than 200 ppm! Wine in most stainless tanks has hydrolyzed wheat protein to clarify the wine. I quit drinking all wines after I read that. There are a few wineries that are gluten free. Haven't researched it though. I tend to get fat when I drink wine. Might be the gluten... never thought of it that way.

#22 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

Someone made a comment about wine. Not seeing it on this thread. I found out wine has a high % gluten.

So you're back to the great wine myth! This has been hashed over many times on this forum.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#23 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:36 AM

So you're back to the great wine myth! This has been hashed over many times on this forum.

I think it is a myth when you are talking about typical celiacs who can eat processed gluten free foods. When it comes to the tiny amounts that some of us super sensitives react to, I don't think that it is a myth. I think that I have been glutened by wine. Some is certainly better than others. There are references out there.

#24 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:38 AM

Come on, the wine thing has been destroyed over and over.

And cap6, for the average person, all of this is complete overkill. I can assure you that 99.9999 percent of people with celiac do not and do not have to call farmers to find out how they plant or harvest anything and the vast majority don't soak their produce for 10 minutes or apply a baking soda paste. For those who feel they need to do this, that's fine, but most of us don't.

richard

#25 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

And cap6, for the average person, all of this is complete overkill. I can assure you that 99.9999 percent of people with celiac do not and do not have to call farmers to find out how they plant or harvest anything and the vast majority don't soak their produce for 10 minutes or apply a baking soda paste. For those who feel they need to do this, that's fine, but most of us don't.

richard

So sorry - I was just being funny which sort of laid an egg!
As for the wine - I have never felt it necessary to call a vineyard about gluten in wine. The vintner I spoke to about this was was attending and hosting the same wine tasting weekend at a resort as I was. Since we were casually chatting I took the opportunity to ask about the wheat paste/gluten in wine myth. This is where I got my info and why i sought it.

As for washing food..... sorry but I agree with the baking soda theory. Not because of produce being grown in fields of rye but because of pesticides used and who knows who touched what before they touched the food I buy. I wash my apple for the same reason as I wash my clothes. I guess we are all different. :)

#26 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

I know this thread is not about wine but!

I know we are all different but, I am so ridiculously sensitive (recently got glutened by breathing flour in the air again and, yes, I'm sure..)so I just have to say, I drink wine every day (true confessions from a girl of French and Greek heritage) and I KNOW wine is okay- for ME... I tend to look to more insidious things myself when glutened. This is after YEARS of thinking EVERYTHING is a problem...

Everyone needs to just do what they think is best for them but, boy, has the wine thing been assessed and reassessed on this board. If you are computer savvy and if it is possible, I suggest looking back into the archives on this one!

Good health to all!
lisa

#27 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

I know this thread is not about wine but!

I know we are all different but, I am so ridiculously sensitive (recently got glutened by breathing flour in the air again and, yes, I'm sure..)so I just have to say, I drink wine every day (true confessions from a girl of French and Greek heritage) and I KNOW wine is okay- for ME... I tend to look to more insidious things myself when glutened. This is after YEARS of thinking EVERYTHING is a problem...

Everyone needs to just do what they think is best for them but, boy, has the wine thing been assessed and reassessed on this board. If you are computer savvy and if it is possible, I suggest looking back into the archives on this one!

Good health to all!
lisa

I love true confessions..... and I confess to a glass of wine (or 2....) every night as well. Here's to your health! :D

#28 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

I can assure you that 99.9999 percent of people with celiac do not and do not have to call farmers to find out how they plant or harvest anything and the vast majority don't soak their produce for 10 minutes or apply a baking soda paste. For those who feel they need to do this, that's fine, but most of us don't.

richard

I thought that this super sensitive section was for those of us who are not in that 99.9999 percent?

#29 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

I would respectfully disagree. I have seen a lot of 'this could never happen' and 'I don't react to this' and 'this would be too small an amount to react to.' I have never seen anyone systematically test a large sample size of wines in a controlled study. If you know of any, I would very much like to take a look at it. Really. I've been looking, because I was curious, and I'd love to see one and see how it was done.

However, I know that people with sensitive home tests have tested a few wines and found them negative for gluten. I also know people have tested other wines and found a couple that tested positive. That test that had a 10ppm detection level.

And yeah, that likely means that the gluten level is below 20ppm. Two is not enough wines by far to make a generalization. But it's also enough that I think the generalization of 'wine is perfectly safe' isn't completely warranted, either.

And whether it's safe for 99% of celiacs isn't really the point, is it? I thought this was the place for people who are in the minority category. Maybe not all of us are the same level of sensitivity here, but those of us who are extremely sensitive, like myself, try to make it clear that we view ourselves on the extreme end, so that what bothers us may not bother other people.

Personally, I'd rather know of a small risk like cover crops and wines and asses it myself than to assume everything is safe for me because it's safe for everyone else. Because the latter is what I did at first, and all it did was make me sick as a dog.

Honestly, I think it's good to have multiple perspectives on a forum, because then we can have a great debate on issues like this. But when we're discussing it, coming in to say "all of this is complete overkill" feels rather combative in a forum where we're more sensitive than normal and trying to find our way around issues that DON'T bother other celiacs. We've been told often enough that other celiacs think we're over the top or crazy or paranoid.

That's fine. Everybody's entitled to their opinion. But we're in the forum section designed for dealing with problems just like ours, with people who DO deal with these issues. Anyone who doesn't have issues with this? Who this IS overkill for?

They're not here in the super-sensitive section. Or I couldn't imagine why they would be, as the discussions here wouldn't be much use for them, I would imagine. So overkill for others or not, I would think this is the area to discuss it.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#30 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Sorry I was a bit lazy about looking up references above. Here is a reference about wine (being safe for typical celiacs) with a reference to super sensitive celiacs (sometimes not being safe).

http://celiacdisease...Gluten-Free.htm

I don't go to crazy extremes because I'm wacko. I do it because otherwise I get uncontrollable D (as well as all sorts of other symptoms) and I can't even make it from the living room to the bathroom without going in my pants.

I hope that reading about things I do might help someone else who is in the shoes I was. I wish that had been available while I was trying to figure all this out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: