This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Sensitive Or Celiac?

momna

momna Newbie

HI, I have been tested for gluten sensitivity via blood test and it came positive. So immediately after the Doctor said I should avoid gluten I removed it from my diet. Then my Doctor scheduled me for an endoscopy two weeks after that. Tests came negative for celiac as she only check my right side ( where I was complaining a twinging pain to right side every after meal). Does this mean I have gluten sensitivity only and not celiac disease? thanks for your insights.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mari Explorer

It would be helpful if you posted your test results, just get a copy from your Dr.

A positive test shows that you have elevated autoimmune antibodies so you are sensitive to gluten. Since the small intestine is 28 ft. long it's very likely the biopsy missed the area that was damaged. Even the multiple biopsies will miss damaged areas. If you are still uncertain you could order the DNA test from one of the online labs or have your Dr order the molecular serology test. You do not have to eat gluten foods for these tests.

Skylark Collaborator

HI, I have been tested for gluten sensitivity via blood test and it came positive. So immediately after the Doctor said I should avoid gluten I removed it from my diet. Then my Doctor scheduled me for an endoscopy two weeks after that. Tests came negative for celiac as she only check my right side ( where I was complaining a twinging pain to right side every after meal). Does this mean I have gluten sensitivity only and not celiac disease? thanks for your insights.

Gluten sensitivity and celiac are a disease spectrum, not separate diseases. You are somewhere in the middle, past gluten sensitivity but not full blown celiac. If I were you, I would continue with a strict gluten-free diet as people with positive blood tests can move on to develop villous atrophy.

momna Newbie

HI thanks for the replies...

here are my test results:

Nuclear AB,ser,ql NEGATIVE

Component Your result Standard range Units

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgG 0.98 <0.90 -

Tissue transglutaminase IgA 0.30 <0.90 -

thanks again!

Skylark Collaborator

So you have positive TTG. If you feel better gluten-free you are almost certainly celiac. TTG is an autoimmune antibody; simple gluten sensitivity won't cause it to appear. It's hard to get positive on both blood and biopsy. Damage can be patchy and they have to take a lot of biopsies to find the damage reliably.

momna Newbie

So you have positive TTG. If you feel better gluten-free you are almost certainly celiac. TTG is an autoimmune antibody; simple gluten sensitivity won't cause it to appear. It's hard to get positive on both blood and biopsy. Damage can be patchy and they have to take a lot of biopsies to find the damage reliably.

Thank you so much for the information. I guess I really have to be in the gluten free diet more than ever. I wanted to give it a try for three months since I got an inconclusive diagnosis. But after reading so many things about it ( and your reply) I am convinced. I have been off gluten for more than a month ( except for some occasional slip ups )and I felt good, no more twinging tummy ache after I eat, no more feeling sleepy after every meal and I feel energized and wanting more exercise. Plus My husband and I have been trying for baby 2 for two years of infertility treatments which included injectibles and IUI but nothing happened. I've no problem with egg production and all but I just couldnt get pregnant and the hubby's stat is fine so it's just me. I read somewhere that Celiac disease can cause infertility as well..

the more I think of what has happened to me it all adds up to Celiac. I;ve got Vitamin D/B1-6-12 deficiency, anemia. Again, thanks for the insight.

Mummyto3 Contributor

When my daughters blood was pos we were told to keep her on gluten until the biopsy. Perhaps thats why you biopsy was neg because you were already gluten free and also your dr only took samples from one area, so damaged areas were missed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

There's a lot of women on the board who have conceived after going gluten-free. Good luck!!!

momna Newbie

When my daughters blood was pos we were told to keep her on gluten until the biopsy. Perhaps thats why you biopsy was neg because you were already gluten free and also your dr only took samples from one area, so damaged areas were missed.

I am thinking the same thing that's why it was negative.. Since I have to do a repeat biopsy every year now, I'll probably go on the gluten diet months before the biopsy. If I can take it!

momna Newbie

There's a lot of women on the board who have conceived after going gluten-free. Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot! I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

Archived