26 replies to this topic

#1 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Alexia brand frozen potato and sweet potato products (except for potato bites) had gluten free on the label and were made in a gluten-free facility up until now. Due to expansion, they are going to be made in a facility that also processes wheat (possibly also shared equipment. Their printed statement to their employees is somewhat vague on this, so the lovely gal I spoke to was having difficulty finding out information about the equipment line). They now say that they can no longer guarantee there won't be trace amounts of gluten cc.

New potato products made in this shared facility will no longer carry the gluten free label, however, so you can spot them that way. Per the Alexia rep, if a product still has 'gluten free' printed on it, it was made in the gluten free facility.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

Alexia brand frozen potato and sweet potato products (except for potato bites) had gluten free on the label and were made in a gluten-free facility up until now. Due to expansion, they are going to be made in a facility that also processes wheat (possibly also shared equipment. Their printed statement to their employees is somewhat vague on this, so the lovely gal I spoke to was having difficulty finding out information about the equipment line). They now say that they can no longer guarantee there won't be trace amounts of gluten cc.

New potato products made in this shared facility will no longer carry the gluten free label, however, so you can spot them that way. Per the Alexia rep, if a product still has 'gluten free' printed on it, it was made in the gluten free facility.

Isn't that a shame?

How did you find out? Just curious! The rest of us might have just gone along assuming they were still OK.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

I love those potatoes. :( Especially the sweet potato fries! What a letdown. You'd think more companies would be moving towards gluten-free instead of away from.

#4 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

I contacted them a few weeks ago and they told me the same thing - they were now gluten free, but moving to a cross contamination facility. I told them, on behalf of celiacs everywhere, to please rethink that, but, well, I guess they didn't listen. Stock the freezer before it's too late!
Daughter diagnosed with celiac via endoscopy, April, 2011.
Mom, Dad and daughter all go gluten free.
We live in the Twin Cities, MN.

#5 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

Hmmmm. I haven't seen gluten-free on their bags in a long while. I regularly purchase the SP fries at Costco and just reevaluate the ingredients every time. I'll have to pay attention so see if the CYA statement shows up on the bag soon...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#6 shayre

shayre

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

Bummer. I didn't know that they were gluten-free safe this whole time...too late.

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love those fries. But thank you so much for posting. I had a mystery glutening (which I wasn't sure if it was glutening or somethign else) a few weeks ago. I checked my open bag of fries from BJ's and they no longer say gluten-free. They were the only pre-made ones I had found that were gluten-free and without soybean oil. So sad. I guess I will just make my own from now on. :(
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

How did you find out?

My daughter has been having some trouble getting completely healthy. We've tracked down some allergies on our own, and some with testing, and that she's more sensitive to gluten than normal, but since it hasn't been enough, now I'm going through all the products she or my son can eat and calling them to make sure they are still safe. And finding stuff like this.

total bummer - they really liked these! :(

T.H.

#9 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Ore-Ida has sweet potato fries that are labeled gluten free. I just discovered them recently at Sam's Club. I just finished off the bag tonight and haven't reacted to them.

#10 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

Ore-Ida has sweet potato fries that are labeled gluten free. I just discovered them recently at Sam's Club. I just finished off the bag tonight and haven't reacted to them.

this is the ingredient list for ore-ida sweet potato fries from their web site

Ingredients List

SWEET POTATOES, CANOLA OIL MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, RICE FLOUR, TAPIOCA DEXTRIN, SEA SALT, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE), XANTHAN GUM, ANNATTO (COLOR), DISODIUM SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE.

maybe it has the canola oil I reacted to but something got me , just like I had been glutened

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#11 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

this is the ingredient list for ore-ida sweet potato fries from their web site

Ingredients List

SWEET POTATOES, CANOLA OIL MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, RICE FLOUR, TAPIOCA DEXTRIN, SEA SALT, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE), XANTHAN GUM, ANNATTO (COLOR), DISODIUM SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE.

maybe it has the canola oil I reacted to but something got me , just like I had been glutened

I guess the question would be:
-Does Ore-Ida have a gluten free line for their fries?
- Does Ore-Ida tests their products for gluten? If so, is it every batch, or routine testing?

If they don't test every batch, then it's always possible that you got a bad batch. And if they don't have a gluten free line, that increases the risk factors a little, as well.

If your reaction was gut related, you might want to look into the annatto or xanthan gum as a possibility, if you don't think it was gluten. Both of those have also been known to cause a lot of digestive distress in some people.

T.H.

#12 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

I eat Ore-Ida all the time and Alexia and have never had a gluten reaction to them. Some people on here have issues with potatoes and also too much xanathan gum can cause a gluten reaction (in non gluten people too!) maybe something else got you?

#13 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

I eat Ore-Ida all the time and Alexia and have never had a gluten reaction to them. Some people on here have issues with potatoes and also too much xanathan gum can cause a gluten reaction (in non gluten people too!) maybe something else got you?

I think you hit the nail on the head! People are too focused on gluten and xanthan gum can cause horrific reactions which mimic a gluten reaction 100%. It happened to me and was one of the worst reactions I ever had. You can't have a gluten reaction if there is little to no gluten in a product. Most of the time gums are present in gluten-free products and they can wreak havoc.

#14 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head! People are too focused on gluten and xanthan gum can cause horrific reactions which mimic a gluten reaction 100%. It happened to me and was one of the worst reactions I ever had. You can't have a gluten reaction if there is little to no gluten in a product. Most of the time gums are present in gluten-free products and they can wreak havoc.

Just because YOU don't react to a "little gluten" please don't accuse people that do react to very small amounts of making things up. I have eaten these fries regualrly (about once every two weeks) for months with no trouble. Then all of the sudden I felt glutened and couldn't trace the source. I DID eat those fries that week. No ingredients have changed but the processing HAS changed. That was enough for me to conclude I got sick from these fries and I won't be eatign them again. I know it wasn't in my head. I eat other thigns with xanthan gum (like Udi's) and canola oil and pretty much all the other ingredients (potatoes, seasonings, etc) in those fries and I don't have a reaction. Again, please don't discount cc just because YOU don't have reactions to tiny amounts.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#15 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

Just because YOU don't react to a "little gluten" please don't accuse people that do react to very small amounts of making things up. I have eaten these fries regualrly (about once every two weeks) for months with no trouble. Then all of the sudden I felt glutened and couldn't trace the source. I DID eat those fries that week. No ingredients have changed but the processing HAS changed. That was enough for me to conclude I got sick from these fries and I won't be eatign them again. I know it wasn't in my head. I eat other thigns with xanthan gum (like Udi's) and canola oil and pretty much all the other ingredients (potatoes, seasonings, etc) in those fries and I don't have a reaction. Again, please don't discount cc just because YOU don't have reactions to tiny amounts.

Thus far I have not been able to determine any links between eating any foods to GI troubles (aside from neuro things such as fog, etc. that does not seem to happen after any specific food - usually when I am very tired - my fibro also contributes to that). When I went on my gluten challenge for four months I did not feel sick at all (although I am more than aware of what goes on internally). Anyway, the reason for this explanation is that I cannot afford even a smidgen of CC because I do not feel sick from gluten (yet, anyway). So, I have no clue whether I have been glutened or not which is scary. My dietitian said I must be OTT diligent. I feel that one may not REACT to tiny amounts of gluten but just imagine what is going on inside and the problems it could cause later in life! As I am well armed with information I just could not knowingly do that to my body. I really want to live a long productive life! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: