Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need Advice From People Who Have Experience With Enterolab.

4 posts in this topic

everybody,

I'm looking for help from those of you with experience with Enterolab. Never thought I'd be looking at possibly using their services, since I am covered for just about anything that could possibly come up. But my son isn't so fortunate with his insurance. I have been tested positive with HLA-DQ2.5 genetic marker, and I have come to realize that I just will not be worry free until my son has been tested, to know whether or not he needs to monitor things in the future. So, I'm considering paying for Enterolab to do the genetic test on him. I just wanted to know if any of you have had experience with them, and if those experiences were good or bad.

I guess I would love to hear from someone who tested more than one person in the family and had some positive and some negative test results. Silly as it sounds, I just want to hear from someone that they don't just tell everyone they have tons of allergies/intolerances and genes etc. Call me paranoid, but there's so much incompetence out there... I just need to hear from people who have used Enterolab, so that I know its an okay place to do this. I understand that they send the sample to Red Cross for processing, so I guess it should be valid. Thanks in advance for your responses. It will ease my mind. I'm considering calling them Tuesday morning to order his kit.

Have a wonderful Independence Day everybody! Enjoy your gluten free BBQs! :)

Ads by Google:

Here are my thoughts on Enterolab. I wrote this in another thread and to make it easier to find since I keep repeating myself I stuck it in my forum blog. In brief, yes they do tell too many people that they are positive for gluten intolerance.

Also, as far as I know, Enterolab only tests HLA-DQB1 so you will only see the DQB1 *0201 from DQ2.5. If you want the alpha chain result to be sure you would have to get him tested elsewhere. Enterolab does tell you all your B1 results rather than yes/no for DQ2 and DQ8 which some people really like.

I would recommend you get genetic test pricing from Kimball and Prometheus. They do not report all of the B subunits like Enterolab, but they test for A1 *0505, which you need.

http://www.kimballgenetics.com/tests-celiacdisease.html

https://myceliacid.com/

[fonft=Comic Sans MS]

Here are my thoughts on Enterolab. I wrote this in another thread and to make it easier to find since I keep repeating myself I stuck it in my forum blog. In brief, yes they do tell too many people that they are positive for gluten intolerance.

Also, as far as I know, Enterolab only tests HLA-DQB1 so you will only see the DQB1 *0201 from DQ2.5. If you want the alpha chain result to be sure you would have to get him tested elsewhere. Enterolab does tell you all your B1 results rather than yes/no for DQ2 and DQ8 which some people really like.

I would recommend you get genetic test pricing from Kimball and Prometheus. They do not report all of the B subunits like Enterolab, but they test for A1 *0505, which you need.

http://www.kimballgenetics.com/tests-celiacdisease.html

https://myceliacid.com/

Thanks for your comments, Skylark. I'm really not so concerned about the genetic testing from Enterolab, since they get it done through the Red Cross, and even though they only test the DQB chain... in our case that doesn't matter since I'm DQ2.5 positive and the alpha and beta chains are always connected. If he has the DQB positive, the A will also be positive in his case. I was more concerned with their "other" tests... for food intolerances, etc. I don't want to pay for them to test if they just tell everybody they're intolerant to what ever they request a test for. ;) I will check with the other two labs that you suggested though... and see how the pricing is for the genetic test. Thanks again for taking the time to respond... I really appreciate it, Skylark. :) Happy Independence Day!

That makes sense. If you just want to know yes or no for DQB1 *0201 from you, Enterolab may be the cheapest option. :)

Happy Independence Day!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Gluten withdrawal. It's real. I agree with what cstark said but I call it gluten withdrawal. Your body really does get "addicted" to gluten and when you go gluten-free, then the body has to cope with the withdrawal of a substance it was used to getting on a regular basis even though that substance was killing you. It isn't much different than drug addiction & the withdrawal process from that.  It sucks, I know but I promise it will get better. Rest as much as you can, drink tons of water, eat well cooked foods to ease the strain on your villi. Bone broth - home made - is a great healer of the gut & very gentle on it as well as being extremely nourishing. Just google how to make it. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    • Push for the endoscopy.  My GI said at the initial consult that he didn't think I had celiac but wanted to do the scope to "rule it out"  When he saw me immediately after the endo, while I was still in recovery, he saw enough damage to change his position and sure enough the biopsy came back positive.
    • Your body has been used to ingesting and has been coping with the gluten in its systems.  DON'T PANIC because your body is doing it for you.   Seriously now, the medical field has a technological term defining when a system is used to working a certain way/routine.  When that is either disrupted or changed, it could take a while for the body adjust to a different way of doing things.  Another factor in the increase in symptoms could possibly be that your body is starting to "clean house".  It's trying to get rid of the amounts of gluten hiding out in all its nooks and crannies.  It is going to be a long term process.  It's like cleaning out a vacuum hose or other household item that is just caked with gunk.  The first cleaning gets rid of a large portion of the gunk and ick.  The subsequent cleanings gets rid of more and more ick but in lesser amounts. I thought I was going to go crazy those first few months, but things are a lot better now. (I am about 10 months gluten free).  I still have moments of brain fog and even episodes, but my body is getting closer (and more used to)  to having a cleaner "household item".  I know it's tough at first with the increased onslaught of symptoms, but hang in there.   You may want to keep a journal of all that you ingest or come into contact with for a time to track anything that could exacerbate symptoms.  (For me, my episodes are chemically triggered as well.)  If for some reason a few months down the road, you still have large amounts of symptoms it would be a good idea to visit your GP again just in case there something else that is going on.  
    • I would love some help! After 20ish years of being misdiagnosed with IBS, I was diagnosed with celiac disease (positive blood test for tTG IgA and positive duodenal biopsy) ~ 6 weeks ago. Of course I've gone completely gluten free, and I've been crazy paranoid careful not to ingest any gluten. I've also completely avoided all oats (even certified gluten free) and cut out lactose (due to transient lactose intolerance... because I don't have villi) . But now I feel WAY WORSE. I've had abdominal pain every single day, which ranges from mild aching to severe 10/10 laying on the floor crying and vomiting pain. I understand that it takes a long time to get better, but why would I get so much worse? My best guess is SIBO, but I can't imagine that it could cause such extreme symptoms, can it?  So my question to you fine folks is: did this happen to anyone else? Have you gotten sicker after you changed your diet? Is this normal?  For arguments sake, lets assume that I did not ingest any gluten to cause these symptoms... Thank you for your help!
    • Thanks very much Cyclinglady. Yes, it is Kaiser. I doctor said the GI think it is unlikely to be celiac deisease (he did not say how he came to this conclusion), but he would be happy to do an upper endoscopy for me. I did some look up online, this procedure should be low risk. Still feel a little hesitate while reading the potential risks :(.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jessie.Cait