Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Need Advice On How In The World To Test For Soy Intolerance?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 MsCurious

MsCurious

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hi again everybody!

Should have included this with the last post, but forgot. ;) I have figured out how to zero in on fructose intolerance, and I've been lactose intolerant for many decades, but I'm a bit lost and confused how to isolate soy intolerance. Maybe its because I can't think of any "soy" by itself that I eat. It's usually some component of other foods, at least that are familiar to me. I know there is tofu... I think that's soy, but honestly, its not something I have ever bought, nor would I know what to do with it if I did. Anyway, any of you have a good suggestion or two, of how to test for soy intolerance... I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks so much... and have a great July 4th!
~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

tTg IgA IgG borderline 1/25/11 Posted Image
HLA DQ2.5 Positive 2/11/11
Biopsy 4/11/11
100% Lactose/Dairy Free 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11
Life is SO MUCH better gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Edamame is whole soybeans in the shell. You can usually buy a microwavable freezer bag of them. You steam them and then remove the tough pod and eat the bean part.

Another thing to try would be getting some soy flour and adding a little to a recipe you know you are fine with everything else.

Or you could try 100% vegetable oil made with soybeans.

Soy sauce made without wheat may not have much else in it.

You may want to try all these forms because people can have different reactions to different forms of soy. I know I have different reactions depending on the form of soy. Some people don't have any trouble with soybean oil (it gives me an instant migraine). Some people can tolerate soy letchin but not soy protein isolate or soy flour.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

For starters, you eliminate all soy-containing processed foods from your diet for at least two weeks, maybe even a month, and see if it helps. Soy is a declared allergen so it's not too hard to find it on labels. If you think it's helping, then challenge by adding soy back in.

#4 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thanks so much you to for the quick and helpful answers! So nice of you to take the time to share what you know...it really helps me out a bunch! Now I feel like I can proceed with confidence... and figure this out. You're both great! Gotta love these forums for help from great people! Have a great weekend!

~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

tTg IgA IgG borderline 1/25/11 Posted Image
HLA DQ2.5 Positive 2/11/11
Biopsy 4/11/11
100% Lactose/Dairy Free 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11
Life is SO MUCH better gluten-free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: