Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pork & Gluten ?

20 posts in this topic

The last couple times I have eaten pork, I feel the same as if I have eaten gluten. Gut-wrenching pain in stomach, pain in joints, etc. I never noticed that I had issues eating pork before going gluten-free (besides the pain I was always in from eating in general :( ) Is it possible that what they feed the animals can effect me?

Ads by Google:

Unless something is terribly wrong at the processing facility, you are eating the muscular flesh of the pig, not the contents of its digestive tract. Pork, beef, veal, lamb, chicken, turkey, and other meats are gluten-free.

It is not uncommon to discover a "new" sensitivity after going gluten-free. When we are eating gluten on a regular basis, the effects of the gluten are intense and can mask other food sensitivities. These then become visible once on the gluten-free diet.

I can't eat pork. My stomach hurts until I throw it back up. If I don't throw it up I have days of agony. The last couple times I ate it my throat felt like it was closing too so I stopped eating all pork (dr said it could be the start of a more serious allergy instea dof just intolerance). That said, you could have eaten something with gluten if it was pork sausage with fillers. It's not common but also not unheard off for there to be wheat fillers in pork sausage. You could also be sensitive to the nitrates or nitrites or other additives added to a lot of pork products (bacon, sausage, hot dogs, pepperoni etc.) But if you ate plain pork chops without any added fillers and you know your cooking practices were safe then you probably have a problem with pork.

It was ribs and I make my own seasoning blends to avoid cross contamination of gluten, so sad...another food gone off of my list...

It was ribs and I make my own seasoning blends to avoid cross contamination of gluten, so sad...another food gone off of my list...

Have you used this seasoning blend on other foods without any symptoms? Also were the ribs cooked on a grill formerly used for gluten foods?

There's a few other things it could be aside from the pork, too, actually.

Antibiotic residue that remains in the meat is one that can do you in - I had this problem crop up after going gluten free, when I started trying to eat meats. I don't know if pigs get different antibiotics than other animals to make them the only one you'd react to, but it might be worth checking.

If the antibiotics are similar for most animals, however, then farmed fish would tend to give a worse reaction, as they have the highest antibiotic residue levels (they're really overdosed on antibiotics because they are raised too closely together and so disease spreads very quickly). Beef would give a reaction too. Chicken isn't fed antibiotics, as I recall, and neither is lamb, I think. Bison often has no antibiotics fed to it, either.

And if you really, really hunt it down, sometimes you can find organic pork that has no antibiotics given to it. Just if you wanted to check this one out. But I've never found this in any store, only a few places on-line or at some select farmer's markets.

Also, the ribs you bought - where did you get them? Were they cut up at the butchers and packaged there? Or were they cut up at the slaughterhouse and packaged there (they'd be vacuum sealed, in that case)? If it's at the butchers counter, it could be gluten cc just from all the other meats they cut up and add a coating to. They might always be cut in the same area, or at the same time, in a way that gets them contaminated. If you wanna check on that one, might be worth seeing if they have a cut that hasn't been touched by the butcher - usually they'll have bigger cuts that haven't been opened yet that you can buy, if you ask for it. :-)

It may be time to go get poked by the allergist (hoping you have insurance).

I used to lay in bed thinking, will it get better? I'd wonder if I should give up all meat because all animals eat grain.

I'd already given up gin because the triple distillation process didn't seem to work for me.

Turned out I was allergic to turkey (never liked it anyway) and egg yolks and pecans.

So I was eating pecans in safe Lara bars, egg yolks in many things, and I finally started to feel better after eliminating those weird things that I'd eaten all my life without any repercussion.

Good luck...hope you feel better soon. :)

It could be the pork, or it could be the crap they cover it with in order to sanitize it. The FDA requires that USDA meat is processed with citric acid, which is mostly derived from corn these days. In Oregon, local meat producers can choose to use ODA standards instead, and use cider vinegar instead of citric acid.

It could also be that your butcher has cross contaminated it with gluten. If they use knives and slicers on processed meats, or prepare deli foods involving flour in the same area that could be the problem.

Just saw a segment on tv with a nutritionist (CTV Ottawa Morning Live), she said that the saline solution they inject into pork (seasoning!) contains gluten! Explains a lot! You can purchase non-seasoned pork, I get mine from the local butcher who uses local products.

I've never seen saline injected into pork, and I'm not sure why it would contain gluten.

Just saw a segment on tv with a nutritionist (CTV Ottawa Morning Live), she said that the saline solution they inject into pork (seasoning!) contains gluten! Explains a lot! You can purchase non-seasoned pork, I get mine from the local butcher who uses local products.

Not in the U.S.

ricahrd

Anybody who has a butcher who cuts the meat and then adds seasonings or blends to it on the same counter should consider looking for another store. Quite unsanitary and not the way it's done at my regular store.

richard

It was about big box store pre-packaged meat. Places like Walmart (that sells groceries), Super Stores, Loblaws, Food Basics, etc. They don't call it saline solution of course, it's called seasoned. Same thing happens to chicken, have u ever wondered where all that water came from when cooking it and why it shrinks so much? I know it happens in Canada, not sure about the US.

Something frozen? And I'm pretty sure any gluten from wheat would have to be on the label.

I have a feeling it's a saline solution (water and salt) that's much like a brine to make meat more tender and juicy. And needless to say, it adds to the weight and is a lot cheaper than the meat itself.

The last couple times I have eaten pork, I feel the same as if I have eaten gluten. Gut-wrenching pain in stomach, pain in joints, etc. I never noticed that I had issues eating pork before going gluten-free (besides the pain I was always in from eating in general :( ) Is it possible that what they feed the animals can effect me?

I had this same thing happen to me last night (pork ribs). I've never been so violently sick and today I feel like I was hit by a truck. A few weeks ago I cooked a pork tenderloin and had a similar reaction-I wrote it off to the marinade or undercooking it. Now I'm not so sure...especially after so meticulously selecting my ingredients and reading your post.

I had this same thing happen to me last night (pork ribs). I've never been so violently sick and today I feel like I was hit by a truck. A few weeks ago I cooked a pork tenderloin and had a similar reaction-I wrote it off to the marinade or undercooking it. Now I'm not so sure...especially after so meticulously selecting my ingredients and reading your post.

Meat that has not had any marinades or seasonings added to it is not a gluten concern at all.

If you are new to the diet things will be up and down for a while. Go with whole unprocessed simple foods as much as you can.

I found your post by googling Gluten Allergies and Pork Allergies. I have been sick with intestinal issues for 13 months.  I have had issues since I was 11.  When my doctor did the blood test, I tested positive for one of the gluten allergens.  I have been gluten free for 8 months with little relief from my symptoms. I just went to an allergist and found that I am allergic to pork.  Looking back, I found that when I eat pork (a variety, no connection with spices), I get sick.  Did you ever find a connection of gluten problems and pork problems? I do not have Celiac (at least I do not think I do, I don't have the gene for it).

Thanks!!

I found your post by googling Gluten Allergies and Pork Allergies. I have been sick with intestinal issues for 13 months.  I have had issues since I was 11.  When my doctor did the blood test, I tested positive for one of the gluten allergens.  I have been gluten free for 8 months with little relief from my symptoms. I just went to an allergist and found that I am allergic to pork.  Looking back, I found that when I eat pork (a variety, no connection with spices), I get sick.  Did you ever find a connection of gluten problems and pork problems? I do not have Celiac (at least I do not think I do, I don't have the gene for it).

Thanks!!

Welcome!

The thread you posted in is older...yet there are some active members.  

I do hope you'll have some response...if not send me a message and I'll try to direct you to folks that can answer.

Hang in there :)

Thanks!!

I have lots of allergies and food intolerances besides having celiac disease. I am the only one diagnosed with celiac disease, but my whole family has allergies and various food intolerances. Best thing to do is to keep a food journal. Do some research on it. If you know that pork bothers you then do not eat it. Maybe in a year or so, you might be able to introduce it back into your diet. My dog can not tolerate poultry, so I do not feed it to her. Easy fix.