19 replies to this topic

#1 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

The last couple times I have eaten pork, I feel the same as if I have eaten gluten. Gut-wrenching pain in stomach, pain in joints, etc. I never noticed that I had issues eating pork before going gluten-free (besides the pain I was always in from eating in general :( ) Is it possible that what they feed the animals can effect me?
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.
Trying hard to make this my lifestyle! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Unless something is terribly wrong at the processing facility, you are eating the muscular flesh of the pig, not the contents of its digestive tract. Pork, beef, veal, lamb, chicken, turkey, and other meats are gluten-free.

It is not uncommon to discover a "new" sensitivity after going gluten-free. When we are eating gluten on a regular basis, the effects of the gluten are intense and can mask other food sensitivities. These then become visible once on the gluten-free diet.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

I can't eat pork. My stomach hurts until I throw it back up. If I don't throw it up I have days of agony. The last couple times I ate it my throat felt like it was closing too so I stopped eating all pork (dr said it could be the start of a more serious allergy instea dof just intolerance). That said, you could have eaten something with gluten if it was pork sausage with fillers. It's not common but also not unheard off for there to be wheat fillers in pork sausage. You could also be sensitive to the nitrates or nitrites or other additives added to a lot of pork products (bacon, sausage, hot dogs, pepperoni etc.) But if you ate plain pork chops without any added fillers and you know your cooking practices were safe then you probably have a problem with pork.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#4 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

It was ribs and I make my own seasoning blends to avoid cross contamination of gluten, so sad...another food gone off of my list...
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.
Trying hard to make this my lifestyle! :D

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

It was ribs and I make my own seasoning blends to avoid cross contamination of gluten, so sad...another food gone off of my list...

Have you used this seasoning blend on other foods without any symptoms? Also were the ribs cooked on a grill formerly used for gluten foods?
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

There's a few other things it could be aside from the pork, too, actually.

Antibiotic residue that remains in the meat is one that can do you in - I had this problem crop up after going gluten free, when I started trying to eat meats. I don't know if pigs get different antibiotics than other animals to make them the only one you'd react to, but it might be worth checking.

If the antibiotics are similar for most animals, however, then farmed fish would tend to give a worse reaction, as they have the highest antibiotic residue levels (they're really overdosed on antibiotics because they are raised too closely together and so disease spreads very quickly). Beef would give a reaction too. Chicken isn't fed antibiotics, as I recall, and neither is lamb, I think. Bison often has no antibiotics fed to it, either.

And if you really, really hunt it down, sometimes you can find organic pork that has no antibiotics given to it. Just if you wanted to check this one out. But I've never found this in any store, only a few places on-line or at some select farmer's markets.

Also, the ribs you bought - where did you get them? Were they cut up at the butchers and packaged there? Or were they cut up at the slaughterhouse and packaged there (they'd be vacuum sealed, in that case)? If it's at the butchers counter, it could be gluten cc just from all the other meats they cut up and add a coating to. They might always be cut in the same area, or at the same time, in a way that gets them contaminated. If you wanna check on that one, might be worth seeing if they have a cut that hasn't been touched by the butcher - usually they'll have bigger cuts that haven't been opened yet that you can buy, if you ask for it. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#7 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

It may be time to go get poked by the allergist (hoping you have insurance).

I used to lay in bed thinking, will it get better? I'd wonder if I should give up all meat because all animals eat grain.

I'd already given up gin because the triple distillation process didn't seem to work for me.

Turned out I was allergic to turkey (never liked it anyway) and egg yolks and pecans.

So I was eating pecans in safe Lara bars, egg yolks in many things, and I finally started to feel better after eliminating those weird things that I'd eaten all my life without any repercussion.

Good luck...hope you feel better soon. :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#8 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

It could be the pork, or it could be the crap they cover it with in order to sanitize it. The FDA requires that USDA meat is processed with citric acid, which is mostly derived from corn these days. In Oregon, local meat producers can choose to use ODA standards instead, and use cider vinegar instead of citric acid.

It could also be that your butcher has cross contaminated it with gluten. If they use knives and slicers on processed meats, or prepare deli foods involving flour in the same area that could be the problem.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#9 SurfingDi

SurfingDi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Just saw a segment on tv with a nutritionist (CTV Ottawa Morning Live), she said that the saline solution they inject into pork (seasoning!) contains gluten! Explains a lot! You can purchase non-seasoned pork, I get mine from the local butcher who uses local products.

#10 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

I've never seen saline injected into pork, and I'm not sure why it would contain gluten.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#11 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

Just saw a segment on tv with a nutritionist (CTV Ottawa Morning Live), she said that the saline solution they inject into pork (seasoning!) contains gluten! Explains a lot! You can purchase non-seasoned pork, I get mine from the local butcher who uses local products.

Not in the U.S.

ricahrd

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

Anybody who has a butcher who cuts the meat and then adds seasonings or blends to it on the same counter should consider looking for another store. Quite unsanitary and not the way it's done at my regular store.

richard

#13 SurfingDi

SurfingDi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:46 AM

It was about big box store pre-packaged meat. Places like Walmart (that sells groceries), Super Stores, Loblaws, Food Basics, etc. They don't call it saline solution of course, it's called seasoned. Same thing happens to chicken, have u ever wondered where all that water came from when cooking it and why it shrinks so much? I know it happens in Canada, not sure about the US.

#14 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

Something frozen? And I'm pretty sure any gluten from wheat would have to be on the label.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#15 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

I have a feeling it's a saline solution (water and salt) that's much like a brine to make meat more tender and juicy. And needless to say, it adds to the weight and is a lot cheaper than the meat itself.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: