This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Short Kids

Austin Guy

Austin Guy Contributor

I have 2 nieces and neither is over 5' 1" tall. The younger one has size 8 feet, which is huge for a short girl. She goes through carbs in the form of pasta, crackers, etc. like mad. She is very active, doesn't have any body fat and I think puberty was delayed. She is 14 and just began to get girlish hips.

Her 17 year old sister is at least 60 lbs overweight and eats like there is no tomorrow. She also has lots of mental.emotional problems.

Could these be signs of Celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kimis Collaborator

yes

domesticactivist Collaborator

They could be, or they could just be "constitutionally" delayed. I don't have celiac but was 4'7" when I turned 13 and 5'2 three months later. I was also a super "late bloomer" as far as puberty was concerned.

My daughter is very, very small for her age at 12, and we've tested her for celiac, turners, deficiencies, etc - all negative. Her bone age scan showed her bone age 9.4, which means she "has time" to grow. Late puberty combined with short stature is good news. Puberty + short stature means there is not much time to grow.

I think testing is a good idea, especially if there is celiac in the family.

Mummyto3 Contributor

Do they have any other problems relating to coeliacs? My daughter has it but she's very tall and although of normal weight, she's very skinny. She looks underweight in her legs and arms. They're like sticks!

Austin Guy Contributor

I'm not seeing any other signs in the kids, but can't do gluten and I am pretty sure my mom was sensitive. We just knew nothing about gluten intolerance, but mom was a very picky eater and she may have been avoiding gluten without really knowing it.

• 6 months later...
naserian Rookie

I have 2 nieces and neither is over 5' 1" tall. The younger one has size 8 feet, which is huge for a short girl. She goes through carbs in the form of pasta, crackers, etc. like mad. She is very active, doesn't have any body fat and I think puberty was delayed. She is 14 and just began to get girlish hips.

Her 17 year old sister is at least 60 lbs overweight and eats like there is no tomorrow. She also has lots of mental.emotional problems.

Could these be signs of Celiac?

Its very possible. i am Gluten intolerant/sensitive . I was very short and oveweight untill my 18s(1,48cm and 55 kg).I never had any periods and i had lots of emotional problems(you can read my post << Gluten and Violence>> I explane everything there)After two weeks in Gluten free diet all my anger had gone, in almost a year i lost 9 kg..and believe the unbelievable i am 1,52 now....Seriously i got from 1,48 to 1.52 i also started having periods for the first time in my life , i am now 49 kg my metabolism is faster and my cellulide is gone ,its amazing what gluten can do to the human body and mind...

xjrosie Apprentice

Well, at age 11, my oldest daughter was wearing shoe size ten and just over four feet tall. She has hypothyroidism which went undiagnosed for two years (until I forced my ex to give custody back to me, long story).

She is now 5 foot 7 inches

I am the exact same height, with size 9.5 feet.

My second daughter, who has no autoimmune disorders (yet, she is currently testing for Celiac) just turned 12 and is about 4.5 feet tall with size 9.5 feet.

I do know for sure that "feet grow first." This means that the feet of a child still in growing stages will grow a lot. When it seems as if the feet have slowed down on growth, there will be a height-growth spurt.

I have over ten years selling shoes and have tried to educate myself on children's feet so as to help people at my job out more. All my returning customers who I shared this information with have said it was true.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived