1 reply to this topic

#1 gf5

gf5

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

Freezing meals can be helpful for anyone to prepare for busy weekend nights. It is very important while on the gluten free diet to have a plan so fast food doesn't become your back-up.

Freezing is a great option for planning ahead. Sometimes freezing can cause freezer burn which destroys food and has to be thrown out. The two most important bits of advice are to make sure you wrap the foods very well, and that you keep careful track of what is in your freezer. Here are some more tips on proper freezing.

Temperature - Freezing is best done when food is fresh and makes for a better tasting product. Store all foods at 0 degrees fahrenheit or lower, this helps maintain the flavor and texture. Freeze in small and thin portions so the food cools faster and thaws faster for best quality. Be sure to wait for food to cool before freezing.

Packaging - Packaging with as little air as possible helps prevent freezer burn. This is why I highly recommend vacuum sealers, but they are not necessary if you are going to eat the food sooner than later, just try and remove as much air as possible.

Defrosting - They are a lot of ways to defrost food but the best tasting way is to defrost in the fridge. It takes much longer to do it this way but I think it's worth it, plan on a day or two. If you need it faster soak it in a bowl with cool water, changing the water every 30 minutes.

Foods that freeze well

Meat, poultry and fish - Raw meat is preferable for long storage because it doesn't dry out or get freezer burn as fast as it's cooked counterpart. I'm sure you have heard you shouldn't refreeze meat because doing so can cause it to become tough and lose moisture. To remedy this you can put it in a marinade or sauce.
Butter, margarine, and cheese - Cream cheese can dry out if not in a dish.
Beans and Rice - freeze surprisingly well
Vegetables - such as carrots, peas, corn, zucchini, and onion. Don't freeze fresh potatoes they turn black.

Foods that don't freeze well

Cornstarch - looses it's thickening power rice flour works better for freezing.
Mayonnaise and sour cream - tends to separate as well.
Vegetables - such as lettuces, celery, radishes, cabbage get limp and water-logged,quickly
Custards and cream puddings - they separate easily and get lumpy.
Melons - get very soft mushy.
Milk sauces - may curdle or separate.
Egg white - get soft, tough, rubbery, and spongy.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

I also like to freeze things in ice cube trays such as tomato paste, pesto, bouillon, etc. then you just pop out and add to the recipe. Some herbs freeze well (i.e. chop basil, place in ice cube trays and add water).

For those of you who cannot have dairy coconut milk freezes just fine, too. The texture can become a little grainy but that disappears.

When I bake cakes I wrap in Saran wrap then aluminum foil - they keep nicely. More information on freezing and safety...
http://life.familyed...fety/36570.html
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: