#16 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

I haven't been to one! :)

Cool! We should start up a "I-haven't-ever-been-to-Starbucks Club"!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 RL2011

RL2011

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

My thoughts about getting poor service:

Speak with the owner, the manager or the corporate office anytime you go to a store, restaurant, or coffee shop after getting bad service or being frustrated by improper or lack of labeling or unknown ingredients. To affect positive changes going forward we all have to voice what happens for a number of reasons beyond the obvious of getting a refund. Proper use of complaints will in the long run (hopefully) improve our lives as we interact with non-celiacs.

If all of us just boycott every place we get poor service from without being the voice for improvement by properly complaining to the right individual(s) we will end up having no places left to go to. So, state your mind and complain to the right person to affect positive change. Try to always lodge your complaint first with the onsite manager in a logical manner then afterwards to the owner of privately owned shops and the corporate office for chains.

In the event you are told by the owner or coporate office after you complain to stay out of their shop or don't buy their product then let us know who they are. Complaints should not be limited to just bad service but also to improper or lack of labeling or unknown ingredients.

Your voice is needed...

Enough ranting from a grumpy guy.
Richard

#18 RacerX35

RacerX35

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Seizures are one of the symptoms I suffered from as well. As far as the oatmeal goes--you may "get away with it" now and then as in your body has no symptoms but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep eating it. It's like playing Russian roulette with your health--you just never know when you will get a heavily contaminated batch. Also for some people there is a culmulative effect of when they have had lots of little amounts of cc it adds up and all of a sudden their symptoms start full force and they cannot track down the source becaus ethey were fine the first X number of times they ate the cc food. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't taking the gluten-free diet seriously. I just wanted to let you know in case you were unaware that oatmeal and rice Krispie treats at restaurants are not usually safe unless specially gluten-free.

I agree with you on that. As I said, I only have these things once in a while. The oatmeal is for the kids mostly. Usually I eat after I have taken the kids to school and get a Jamba Juice (of wich I read the ingredients of in the available book) or some eggs and bacon. I stay away from sausage. Carolinakip & love2travel, you have to go to Starbucks if you are a coffee drinker. They know me by name at a couple of the local stores in my town :D . I even went to Starbucks when my family (Wife, kids, mother and niece) traveled to France and England. The Cafe Creme was much better than Starbucks over there though.

Later,

Ray

#19 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

I agree with you on that. As I said, I only have these things once in a while. The oatmeal is for the kids mostly. Usually I eat after I have taken the kids to school and get a Jamba Juice (of wich I read the ingredients of in the available book) or some eggs and bacon. I stay away from sausage. Carolinakip & love2travel, you have to go to Starbucks if you are a coffee drinker. They know me by name at a couple of the local stores in my town :D . I even went to Starbucks when my family (Wife, kids, mother and niece) traveled to France and England. The Cafe Creme was much better than Starbucks over there though.

Later,

Ray

Not a coffee drinker (although I love the aroma of brewing coffee!) so that is the main reason I have not been to a Starbucks. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#20 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:02 AM

Later,

Ray

I love coffe Ray, but even after a year, too afraid to go try them. Starbucks was a 30 minute drive for me until about a year ago, then I got one in my town. I was DX by then and learning how to be gluten-free.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#21 smsm

smsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

I am a Starbucks addict and drink Starbucks all over the country (I travel a great deal). They have gluten free granola bars and sometimes other snacks. I don't do the blended drinks - always get lattes - but I have never had a problem.

#22 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

As an aside, am I the only one here who has never even been to a Starbucks? :lol:

You are not alone... Never been there either.

#23 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

You are not alone... Never been there either.

YAY! Another one of "us". Anyone else out there who has not been to McDonalds in at least a decade? :D

#24 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

I haven't been to one! :)

Me either! :D Well, not to drink coffee. I have accompanied my husband on a few occasions, though, since he seems to have some kind of Starbucks spidey sense and can find one within minutes, any city in the USA, I swear. :lol:

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#25 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

I would send an email to Starbuck's customer service and make them aware of the issue. My local Starbucks never has a problem showing me labels and such. So far I've never gotten sick at Starbucks and I go at least once a week with a friend. I don't do fraps though. They made me terribly sick before I went gluten free so I won't chance it now! Cold coffee in general doesn't agree with me (I have a slight coffee allergy) so I usually get a soy misto.

#26 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

As an aside, am I the only one here who has never even been to a Starbucks? :lol:

i never have been :) my youngest daughter is a coffee nut - spend 6 bucks on a whaaaat? cup of coffee???? nah.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Count me in. I drink iced espresso every afternoon and when I want something special, I make a Cuban coffee in my Bialetti.

I had fully planned to give Starbucks a try when they came out with the gluten-free orange cake but before I decided to go, they discontinued it. So pox on them . . wouldn't go there now anyway. Posted Image
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#28 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

i never have been :) my youngest daughter is a coffee nut - spend 6 bucks on a whaaaat? cup of coffee???? nah.

I have not had any coffee since my university days. Blech! I'd rather buy an interesting ingredient such as black fermented garlic or vanilla beans for the same price.

#29 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Does Starbucks offer any milk alternative besides soy?

#30 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

bah, why risk it? Can't you just learn to make them at home? XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: