66 replies to this topic

#61 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

Certain flavors of Tazo brand tea contain gluten and are not safe. I gave up on Starbucks when I was handed the wrong flavor of tea and carried the cup out to the car.... Fortunately I have a fairly good sense of smell and the "plain" tea was wafting an herbal odor, so I took the lid off for another good sniff before tasting it, and it was definitely flavored. The little tag on the string attached to the teabag did not say what flavor the idiot cashier had stuck me with. Previously I had tried several of their mixed chai type drinks and had always reacted with a very bad headache, so I wasn't touching this.

If I want a coffee drink now, I just make it myself. It's ridiculous, the amount of cc.

There used to be a coffee shop along the I- 80 corridor between Sac and San F that was safe for me, I was really sad to see it turn over in management and then subsequently got glutened off of it the first time I tried the new place. (and it was so comically full of "fail" in that the new management also got rid of the decent food snacks for sale, plus "redecorated" with bad furniture, and had a combination of all this bizarre no loitering signs, blah, blah, and then religious sayings all over the place, while the old coffee shop version was always well patronized because it was used by students to study because it was near a college. Then they turned into a Starbucks. Poetic justice. )

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

I drink their peppermint mocha and peppermint hot chocolate pretty regularly and I've never had a bad reaction. My location is pretty good about ingrediants and cleaning things for me, I wonder if that plays a role for you!

#63 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Certain flavors of Tazo brand tea contain gluten and are not safe. I gave up on Starbucks when I was handed the wrong flavor of tea and carried the cup out to the car.... Fortunately I have a fairly good sense of smell and the "plain" tea was wafting an herbal odor, so I took the lid off for another good sniff before tasting it, and it was definitely flavored. The little tag on the string attached to the teabag did not say what flavor the idiot cashier had stuck me with. Previously I had tried several of their mixed chai type drinks and had always reacted with a very bad headache, so I wasn't touching this.

If I want a coffee drink now, I just make it myself. It's ridiculous, the amount of cc.

There used to be a coffee shop along the I- 80 corridor between Sac and San F that was safe for me, I was really sad to see it turn over in management and then subsequently got glutened off of it the first time I tried the new place. (and it was so comically full of "fail" in that the new management also got rid of the decent food snacks for sale, plus "redecorated" with bad furniture, and had a combination of all this bizarre no loitering signs, blah, blah, and then religious sayings all over the place, while the old coffee shop version was always well patronized because it was used by students to study because it was near a college. Then they turned into a Starbucks. Poetic justice. )

Starbuck's Chai teas are gluten free. I drink them all the time and have the Chai Latte's too....with zero issues. Starbuck's or any other coffee shop
are all highly dependent on their staff so if they don't care or are uneducated on food allergies, then you'll have a problem. Otherwise, Starbuck's has drink offerings which are gluten free and perfectly safe. Some of the Tazo herbal tea's are not gluten free but many are. One bad experience does not mean that you cannot go there or their products are not gluten free....it just means you got the person who is clueless waiting on you.

#64 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Multiple bad experiences, specifically with the chai and regular teas, or otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it. Drinking something bad that can give me a migraine when I am far from home and towing a trailer or driving in challenging winter weather conditions can incapacitate me so I cannot drive. Drinking mixed beverages at Starbucks is playing roulette with reactions. Most people do not realize the Tazo brands of teas can contain gluten.

#65 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

They have to show you the ingredients! I asked about their hot chocolate recently and the woman handed me the huge bag and said she didn't know but I was free to look.

I think you ran into an A$$.

Well, was it gluten-free????

#66 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Multiple bad experiences, specifically with the chai and regular teas, or otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it. Drinking something bad that can give me a migraine when I am far from home and towing a trailer or driving in challenging winter weather conditions can incapacitate me so I cannot drive. Drinking mixed beverages at Starbucks is playing roulette with reactions. Most people do not realize the Tazo brands of teas can contain gluten.

I am not doubting that you had a problem with a Starbucks drink but their stores are only as good as their employee's. The ones in my state and in other countries I have been to all did a great job with regards to cc issues....never been glutened by a Chai drink and I have them at least 3 times per week.

Migraines can be brought on by many other things besides gluten...which you most likely are an expert on as you suffer from them. I do not consider drinking a Chai a roulette experience as I am way too careful with what I consume to do that. I am never careless when it comes to gluten. As far as not realizing that some of the Tazo tea's are not gluten-free, Tazo is not the only brand that has non-gluten-free tea's and any Celiac needs to read the label before consuming anything....that's a given. Mistakes will be made but not checking a drink after being gluten-free for awhile is careless. You have less control over cc but that can also be minimized.

I hate to see people trash a good company that can provide a safe drink for many. Starbucks has gluten-free drinks and with some instructions, can make one free from cc.

#67 Austin Guy

Austin Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

I got sick after having a Starbucks coffee. I think the girl putting the lid on my cup contaminated it after having handled pastries.
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant May 10, 2011 after going gluten free May 8.
Allergic to cat dander, salmon, nuts, lots of airborne pollens and mold.
Soy intolerance August 2011
Corn and rice intolerance October 2011
Dairy and egg intolerance November 2011
Lactose Malabsorption January 2012
Coffee or caffeine intolerance January 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: