Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Meniere's Disease, Gluten, Viruses, Oh My!

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Brrrandy

Brrrandy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

In high school I got some strange virus, and around the same time I got dizzy for the first time.

In college I got what they called "Mono," and it was the summer after that I had my first major vertigo attack and was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, which has calmed down (but I still get tinnitus and some fluctuating hearing loss if I drink too much).

Then, skip forward, I had many of the usual tell-tale signs of celiac (brain fog, muscle aches, some anxiety, migraines), went off gluten, and felt frickin' amazing.

I also consistently have had problems with my neck (lots of cracking, aching, pain near ear).

Migraines were fine but have returned after starting birth control.

Are any of these connected? Specifically the Meniere's/Virus/Gluten connection? How? Is there some weird superbug that causes autoimmune disorders? Is there a genetic component? Or am I trying to draw intersections between things that are actually just running parallel? I still feel pretty susceptible to viruses of all kinds. Any advice for how to beef up against these? I'd especially like to read some research or articles if anyone's got anything, but anecdotal evidence is more than welcome, for sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

All sorts of viruses can trigger celiac. For me it was flu.

As far as general immunity, mine is better off gluten and on nutritional supplements.

#3 Kim69

Kim69

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:51 AM

About 1 yr before I was dx Coeliac I had vestibular neuritis - very dizzy, vomiting, room spinning! A bit like your virus. I was in hospital ER for two nights while they worked out what was wrong with me.
May 2010 Diagnosed coeliac via biopsy - on gluten-free diet, now not anaemic
March 2010 Still Anaemic and very fatigued, abdominal pain still (Drs had thought it was related to abdom operation)
May 2009 Anaemic - had abdominal surgery; hysterectomy to remove large fibroid
March 2009 Vestibular neuritus (not sure if related but who knows!)
November 2008 Depression (still on meds - working well)

#4 Brrrandy

Brrrandy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Interesting. Has anyone else familiar with the idea that viruses can trigger Celiac, or why?

Thanks guys!

#5 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Interesting. Has anyone else familiar with the idea that viruses can trigger Celiac, or why?

Thanks guys!

I'm not an expert but it's generally accepted that not everyone has celiac from birth. When someone develops it later in life, the cause can possibly be a virus, an operation, pregnancy, stress.

In layman's terms, the virus-trigger theory is that because a virus sets off an immune system response, it causes the immune system to mount a response against the protein in gluten, and thus triggers the body to attack itself. But I'm not sure that this is a medically-proven theory.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#6 Kim69

Kim69

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:11 AM

In high school I got some strange virus, and around the same time I got dizzy for the first time.

In college I got what they called "Mono," and it was the summer after that I had my first major vertigo attack and was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, which has calmed down (but I still get tinnitus and some fluctuating hearing
loss if I drink too much).

Then, skip forward, I had many of the usual tell-tale signs of celiac (brain fog, muscle aches, some anxiety,
migraines), went off gluten, and felt frickin' amazing.

I also consistently have had problems with my neck (lots of cracking, aching, pain near ear).

Migraines were fine but have returned after starting birth
control.

Are any of these connected? Specifically the Meniere's/Virus/Gluten connection? How? Is there some
weird superbug that causes autoimmune disorders? Is there a genetic component? Or am I trying to draw intersections between things that are actually just running parallel? I still feel pretty susceptible to viruses of all kinds.
Any advice for how to beef up against these? I'd especially like to read some research or articles if anyone's got anything, but anecdotal evidence is more than welcome, for
sure.

Hi brandy. I just noticed you said you had a pain behind the ear? I get an extremely horrible nerve pain in my ear. It is triggered by wind - not every time but most of the time it happens. I changed to cymbalta (an antidepressant) from another AD and have been pleased to note that the pain while still occurring is only faint now.

What is your ear pain like? Or is it related to menieres?
May 2010 Diagnosed coeliac via biopsy - on gluten-free diet, now not anaemic
March 2010 Still Anaemic and very fatigued, abdominal pain still (Drs had thought it was related to abdom operation)
May 2009 Anaemic - had abdominal surgery; hysterectomy to remove large fibroid
March 2009 Vestibular neuritus (not sure if related but who knows!)
November 2008 Depression (still on meds - working well)

#7 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

Thanks guys!

There is some thinking that viruses can trigger many autoimmune conditions, that somehow the body responds to the virus, and when the virus is gone the body turns on itself because the anti-virus thing doesn't turn off The body can't distinguish "self" from "invader" (that's very simplistic but hopefully helpful). That is where it is interesting to have genetic information, because it can add to the information as to how likely it is that someone might get a certain condition...the least likely to get celiac, for example, are those with neither the DQ2 nor DQ8 (not 100%, just least likely).

Certain genes are associated with conditions like MS, lupus, Hashimoto's/Graves diseases, Diabetes Mellitus Type 1. You can look at this chart about the HLA-DQ associations, you'll have to scroll down the page a bit to find it. There are links for each type, and if you click through those DQ types you will see with which diseases each is associated.

beachbirdie
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members