2 replies to this topic

#1 0010xoxotee

0010xoxotee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:44 AM

Hi , I am 20 years old and I have been gluten free for a year. I was tested for celiacs and the result was negative, but my doctor said it could be wrong. I have many symptoms of it and going gluten-free is the only thing that has helped. As a child I would get hospitalized often because of stomach aches and because I would stop eating. I was too young to say that I was constipated so the doctors didnít figure that out until I was 9. From age 9-12 I would have a 8 fiber bars and 2 cups of medimussel every day. When I reached 13 that no longer worked so I was put on mirlax 3 times a day and lots of prunes, it helped a little but not much. When this completely stopped working I had to take go lightly (the stuff you drink for a colonoscopy) once a month. At this time I was 16, I was able to get away with drinking it once a month for 4 months and then it had to be every week. When that stopped working I was told to drink half of it every 2 days. It got to the point where I always felt sick and tired, my stomach was so sore, and whenever I would eat I would feel sick and sometimes vomit. I am now left with (and according to doctors it will never change) a digestive track that has been so expanded that my body doesnít know when it has to go to the bathroom. I still have to take a small laxative and I just try to go to the bathroom after every meal, but I never get the feeling like I have to go. After 19 years of pain and all the doctors just saying it is only constipation, I went to a nutritionist who said to try cutting out gluten. It changed everything! I could go to the bathroom some days without anything; if my stomach starts to hurt because I canít go to the bathroom I take a small natural laxative. I sleep so much better, I can eat and not feel sick and in so much pain I am almost crying, and I donít have joint pain like I did before. I have lost a lot of weight, one of my problems before was I weighted way more then I should have for what I ate. I have always been a really healthy eater, I would only eat wheat everything, veggies, fruit, and a dessert. Even though I eat really healthy now protein, veggies, fruit, a gluten-free cookie sometimes, I still cannot lose what my Mom calls a tire around my stomach. It sticks out so much compared the the rest of my body. Can anyone tell me does this sound like celiacs and do you know of anything I can do to get rid of my larger stomach?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

This sounds so much like celiac. My daughter has it and she never had the classic symptoms so the doctors didn't catch it. She was constipated, took the MiraLax, ate more fiber, ended up in the ER, etc. It was only 2.5 months ago that we got the diagnosis and we started connecting the dots. The distended stomach is one of her issues as well. I don't know if it just takes time and healing but will be interested in other replies to that one. Good for you for finally getting it figured out and feeling better!
Daughter diagnosed with celiac via endoscopy, April, 2011.
Mom, Dad and daughter all go gluten free.
We live in the Twin Cities, MN.

#3 0010xoxotee

0010xoxotee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

This sounds so much like celiac. My daughter has it and she never had the classic symptoms so the doctors didn't catch it. She was constipated, took the MiraLax, ate more fiber, ended up in the ER, etc. It was only 2.5 months ago that we got the diagnosis and we started connecting the dots. The distended stomach is one of her issues as well. I don't know if it just takes time and healing but will be interested in other replies to that one. Good for you for finally getting it figured out and feeling better!

Thank you for replying, I hope your daughter is feeling better as well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: