8 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

I am a little confussed can you have the gene for celiac but not test positive for it? And if you have the gene does that mean you should stay away from gluten as you will get it in the future?
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

About 30% of people carry the most common genes. But only about 1% of people develop celiac. The gene only asseses your RISK of developing celiac disease. If you have the genes you are at greater risk than if you don't have them. But you can carry the gene and never develop it and you can also NOT have the most common genes but still have celiac disease.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

Yes, you can most definitely have the gene (or genes) and not test positive for a number of reasons. For one thing, celiac may not have been triggered. You generally must have one of the genes and then a triggering event (illness, surgery, birth, traumatic event, etc.) to develop celiac, although I think that one day a more definitive reason for why some people develop celiac and others don't will be discovered. Anyway, even though you don't really need to avoid gluten, unless you have a sensitivity, you should get tested regularly to make sure that you don't develop celiac in the future.

Also, it's possible that your test results presented a false-negative and that you actually DO have celiac....or you don't have enough damage yet to test positive. Bottom line: if gluten makes you feel ill, avoid it.

#4 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Ok another question then can h pylori cause the same symptoms...
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Yes, you can most definitely have the gene (or genes) and not test positive for a number of reasons.

Also, it's possible that your test results presented a false-negative and that you actually DO have celiac....or you don't have enough damage yet to test positive. Bottom line: if gluten makes you feel ill, avoid it.

true

or you could be someone that damage is done in a way that the current testing can not pick up.
For some of us damage is done to the villi ,some of us it is the skin (DH) ,some of us it is the brain(gluten ataxia)or the "wonderful" combo of all three <_< Bottom line: if gluten makes you feel ill, avoid it.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 Mummyto3

Mummyto3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Well, either myself or my husband must carry the gene as my daughter has celiac disease. My two boys were tested today, so won't know for another 2 weeks with them. Both my hubby and I tested neg.
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance like no one is watching.

#7 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Well, either myself or my husband must carry the gene as my daughter has celiac disease. My two boys were tested today, so won't know for another 2 weeks with them. Both my hubby and I tested neg.

I've been wondering about this. My hubbie and I have not been tested yet. Does one of us HAVE to carry the gene because our son has celiac disease? Or could it come from somewhere else in the family, ie a grandmother or other relative?

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

It was said before, but I will underline the point. Thirty per cent of the population in North America carry a gene associated with celiac disease. Only about one per cent will develop celiac disease during their lifetime. The genes are predictive as to risk, but a trigger is required to activate celiac disease.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

I've been wondering about this. My hubbie and I have not been tested yet. Does one of us HAVE to carry the gene because our son has celiac disease? Or could it come from somewhere else in the family, ie a grandmother or other relative?

your son received a gene from ea of you....if he is positive for celiac it is likely that he has one of the major genes, and whatever genes he has he got from his parents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: