5 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

My GP Wants to run a celiac panel on my son as he has been popping up with what GP thinks is DH we have thought we where gluten-free for a good 6 months now even though DH keeps appearing.....will our test show a false negative? I asked GP and he thought no as he has had active dh recently ,but I have read here that if you have been gluten-free the teat will be inaccurate.....I am now so confussed.....
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

I doubt he would have positive blood work on a gluten-free diet. My patch of what I'm guessing is DH flares from just traces of gluten. Why isn't your GP referring to a dermatologist for a DH skin biopsy?

#3 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

I doubt he would have positive blood work on a gluten-free diet. My patch of what I'm guessing is DH flares from just traces of gluten. Why isn't your GP referring to a dermatologist for a DH skin biopsy?

Cause with all the other symptoms on top of the DH he feels it is for sure celiac..but I pushed for it so he is oking it....should we not bother?
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

His bloodwork will most likely be negative on a gluten-free diet. Unless you have been feeding him something that you think is gluten-free but really has large amounts of gluten in it. Perhaps you dr thinks that you have not really kept him gluten-free. My own dr thought I was probably not really strict (she implied I probably cheat every now and then!) since I have not been diagnosed via blood tests and she wanted to test me even thoguh I have not eaten gluten on purpose for 18 months. So I know that's how some drs think. As skylark said very little cc can cause a flare of DH. Also I have heard DH can take several months to go away even on a gluten-free diet. I would push to get him to a derm for a skin biopsy instead of doing the blood test. IF he has DH then he has celiac by definition. You dr should diagnose based on that and positive reaction to diet.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

Cause with all the other symptoms on top of the DH he feels it is for sure celiac..but I pushed for it so he is oking it....should we not bother?

I didn't bother with testing after being gluten-free for about four months. My Dr. said it wouldn't be positive. I was never tested as it wasn't worth making myself sick again. I had a life to get on with!

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

People who have DH have celiac disease. They go together like peas in a pod. Not all celiacs have DH, but all people with DH have celiac. So test hi for DH first, and if that is positive there is no doubt he has celiac. Lots of info on DH in the dermatitis herpertiformis section here.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: