Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Celiac Panel But gluten-free

6 posts in this topic

My GP Wants to run a celiac panel on my son as he has been popping up with what GP thinks is DH we have thought we where gluten-free for a good 6 months now even though DH keeps appearing.....will our test show a false negative? I asked GP and he thought no as he has had active dh recently ,but I have read here that if you have been gluten-free the teat will be inaccurate.....I am now so confussed.....

I doubt he would have positive blood work on a gluten-free diet. My patch of what I'm guessing is DH flares from just traces of gluten. Why isn't your GP referring to a dermatologist for a DH skin biopsy?

I doubt he would have positive blood work on a gluten-free diet. My patch of what I'm guessing is DH flares from just traces of gluten. Why isn't your GP referring to a dermatologist for a DH skin biopsy?

Cause with all the other symptoms on top of the DH he feels it is for sure celiac..but I pushed for it so he is oking it....should we not bother?

His bloodwork will most likely be negative on a gluten-free diet. Unless you have been feeding him something that you think is gluten-free but really has large amounts of gluten in it. Perhaps you dr thinks that you have not really kept him gluten-free. My own dr thought I was probably not really strict (she implied I probably cheat every now and then!) since I have not been diagnosed via blood tests and she wanted to test me even thoguh I have not eaten gluten on purpose for 18 months. So I know that's how some drs think. As skylark said very little cc can cause a flare of DH. Also I have heard DH can take several months to go away even on a gluten-free diet. I would push to get him to a derm for a skin biopsy instead of doing the blood test. IF he has DH then he has celiac by definition. You dr should diagnose based on that and positive reaction to diet.

Cause with all the other symptoms on top of the DH he feels it is for sure celiac..but I pushed for it so he is oking it....should we not bother?

I didn't bother with testing after being gluten-free for about four months. My Dr. said it wouldn't be positive. I was never tested as it wasn't worth making myself sick again. I had a life to get on with!

People who have DH have celiac disease. They go together like peas in a pod. Not all celiacs have DH, but all people with DH have celiac. So test hi for DH first, and if that is positive there is no doubt he has celiac. Lots of info on DH in the dermatitis herpertiformis section here.