2 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

My GP wants to test my kiddies and I for h pylori sincere are not feeling any better....he suggested stool over blood any opinions?
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 heathen

heathen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:30 AM

I don't think I've ever heard of a stool test for H.pylori... especially since it lives in the stomach. Hmm. Well, with the help of google, there is a stool antigen test--basically seeing if your body is fighting the infection. The blood test works on the same principal, whether or not you have Ab to the bacteria. I would think that the blood test is easier, but it might be more expensive than the stool study. I would ask your GP why he or she favors one over the other.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

#3 QuinnT

QuinnT

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

The stool test is somewhat more sensitive than the serology test. However, if your kids are on any kid of drugs for gastric issues (PPIs, bismuth, etc) it can interfere.

Generally, the best test for H. pylori is the urea breath test, and also super quick and easy. The stool antigen test would be the next best thing.

If your kids have been taking drugs to treat gastric issues (or antibiotics) then the blood test would preferable, unless you are comforting waiting several weeks before testing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: