39 replies to this topic

#1 Harpgirl

Harpgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

I went to the mall with the boys today and stopped into Godiva to get my free monthly truffle. Wouldn't ya know it? Nothing in there is gluten-free! :angry: I'm extremely picky about chocolate. I never touch M&Ms or a Butterfinger. I'll go for Dove if I'm really jonesing, but I don't particularly care for it. Ghirardelli is out too. Basically, when I crave chocolate, I wish I lived in Europe. If there is a safe chocolate, can anyone recommend one for me?
Gluten free 6/10/11
Negative blood test for celiac 7/7/11
History, genetics, and response to diet point to celiac anyway.

Syan rest wear
feasceaft funden, he s frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,
ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning! -Excerpt from the prologue of Beowulf. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

Enjoy Life chocolate chips are allergen free at least (gluten, dairy, and soy). Not sure about the bars.

Sunspire products tend to be gluten free.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

There is some safe chocolate, although I can't provide good information. As a diabetic, I don't eat much chocolate. The gluten source to be concerned about in chocolate is sweetening from malted barley. It may be labeled as "malt extract," or "malt flavor." Unless the source of malt is explicitly declared as something else, malt means barley which means gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Was just reading online that Enjoy Life brand does make allergen free chocolate bars and the Endangered Species line of chocolate bars is all gluten free.

#5 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, the Godiva news was a hard blow for me, too. I stick with Dove (which I loved before going gluten-free anyway), but I do miss the white chocolate/strawberry truffles. :(

PS Milka chocolate is a no, as well. A lot of times their ingredients are written in other languages, but I found one in English. I can't quite remember but it either contained wheat or was made in a facility that also produces wheat.

What is wheat doing in chocolate anyway?!?!?! :angry:

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#6 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Can you buy Cadbury's Dairy Milk? That one is fine (though I could be tormenting you further if it's not available in the US)

#7 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

Endangered Species is very good.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Do you have a local place that makes chocolate? In KC we are lucky to have several. If you don't mind paying, you can talk to the person who made it. I have found some chocolate bars that do not list barley malt or " made with wheat....". They don't say gluten-free specifically. Usually, it is the pricier stuff but I like the Dove dark chocolate when I need a bit.

You could make a batch of truffles & keep them in the freezer. My son makes yummy PB choco ones!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

You don't like Ghirardelli? I'm in love with their 72% cacao dark squares.

If you like filled chocolates, how about See's? Most of their chocolate is gluten-free and they have an allergy list that includes gluten so you know what's safe. I usually get the Nuts and Chews assortment. http://www.sees.com/...ents/Nuts_Chews

Here is their allergen & gluten information.
http://www.sees.com/...Info_063011.pdf

#10 annegirl

annegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

If you are picky about your chocolate I would recommend not wasting your money on the Enjoy Life bars. They're ok in a horrible pinch (and really close to the only chocolate I can have) but it's waxy and not as good. I do love their mini chocolate chips though. They make great cookies and are perfect for chocolate dipped strawberries!
Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Corn, Coffee, Caffeine, Pork Freeeeeee

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

#11 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hi Skylark,

I got some kind of computer bug from the Sees download. Just thought I'd let you know. I am using a Mac so it was unusual. Had to trash the download umpteen times. Wouldn't let me do anything else but open it, which kept repeating. I closed down the computer and restarted it and emptied the trash yet again. Hate to think what it would do to a PC.

When I get a hankering for chocolate I make chocolate chip cookies with the Enjoy LIfe chocolate chips. Its nice that they are not only gluten free but also dairy and soy free too. i make a big recipe when I do--with about half the amount of chips per cookie than what is recommended on the package since I am a little sensitive to chocolate.

Alternatively I make a hot carob drink or carob brownies. Just as good without the caffeine of chocolate that makes it even harder for me to get to sleep. I just have to make sure the carob isn't cross contaminated by nuts...
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#12 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hi Skylark,

I got some kind of computer bug from the Sees download. Just thought I'd let you know. I am using a Mac so it was unusual. Had to trash the download umpteen times. Wouldn't let me do anything else but open it, which kept repeating. I closed down the computer and restarted it and emptied the trash yet again. Hate to think what it would do to a PC.

I am very upset that you would accuse me of linking to a virus! :angry:

Those links are to commercial website for a well-known company with a McAffee Secure seal on the home page that guarantees that the whole website is scanned daily for viruses and malware. It works fine on my PC and I can't imagine McAffee would have missed anything. The second link is to an Adobe .pdf file. Perhaps your .pdf reader is configured incorrectly?

#13 Sammyj

Sammyj

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:44 AM

No chocolate will make this a hard diet (life style)!

#14 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:13 AM

Have you tried Scharffen Berger?
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#15 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:58 AM

Can you have soy? We buy sweet williams chocolate. Lindt dark chocolate is also gluten free and vegan :)
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: