This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Okay, So Is There A Safe Chocolate?

Harpgirl

Harpgirl Explorer

I went to the mall with the boys today and stopped into Godiva to get my free monthly truffle. Wouldn't ya know it? Nothing in there is gluten-free! :angry: I'm extremely picky about chocolate. I never touch M&Ms or a Butterfinger. I'll go for Dove if I'm really jonesing, but I don't particularly care for it. Ghirardelli is out too. Basically, when I crave chocolate, I wish I lived in Europe. If there is a safe chocolate, can anyone recommend one for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

organicmama Contributor

Enjoy Life chocolate chips are allergen free at least (gluten, dairy, and soy). Not sure about the bars.

Sunspire products tend to be gluten free.

psawyer Proficient

There is some safe chocolate, although I can't provide good information. As a diabetic, I don't eat much chocolate. The gluten source to be concerned about in chocolate is sweetening from malted barley. It may be labeled as "malt extract," or "malt flavor." Unless the source of malt is explicitly declared as something else, malt means barley which means gluten.

organicmama Contributor

Was just reading online that Enjoy Life brand does make allergen free chocolate bars and the Endangered Species line of chocolate bars is all gluten free.

WinterSong Community Regular

Yeah, the Godiva news was a hard blow for me, too. I stick with Dove (which I loved before going gluten-free anyway), but I do miss the white chocolate/strawberry truffles. :(

PS Milka chocolate is a no, as well. A lot of times their ingredients are written in other languages, but I found one in English. I can't quite remember but it either contained wheat or was made in a facility that also produces wheat.

What is wheat doing in chocolate anyway?!?!?! :angry:

anabananakins Explorer

Can you buy Cadbury's Dairy Milk? That one is fine (though I could be tormenting you further if it's not available in the US)

jenngolightly Contributor

Endangered Species is very good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Do you have a local place that makes chocolate? In KC we are lucky to have several. If you don't mind paying, you can talk to the person who made it. I have found some chocolate bars that do not list barley malt or " made with wheat....". They don't say gluten-free specifically. Usually, it is the pricier stuff but I like the Dove dark chocolate when I need a bit.

You could make a batch of truffles & keep them in the freezer. My son makes yummy PB choco ones!

Skylark Collaborator

You don't like Ghirardelli? I'm in love with their 72% cacao dark squares.

If you like filled chocolates, how about See's? Most of their chocolate is gluten-free and they have an allergy list that includes gluten so you know what's safe. I usually get the Nuts and Chews assortment. Open Original Shared Link

Here is their allergen & gluten information.

Open Original Shared Link

annegirl Explorer

If you are picky about your chocolate I would recommend not wasting your money on the Enjoy Life bars. They're ok in a horrible pinch (and really close to the only chocolate I can have) but it's waxy and not as good. I do love their mini chocolate chips though. They make great cookies and are perfect for chocolate dipped strawberries!

YoloGx Rookie

Hi Skylark,

I got some kind of computer bug from the Sees download. Just thought I'd let you know. I am using a Mac so it was unusual. Had to trash the download umpteen times. Wouldn't let me do anything else but open it, which kept repeating. I closed down the computer and restarted it and emptied the trash yet again. Hate to think what it would do to a PC.

When I get a hankering for chocolate I make chocolate chip cookies with the Enjoy LIfe chocolate chips. Its nice that they are not only gluten free but also dairy and soy free too. i make a big recipe when I do--with about half the amount of chips per cookie than what is recommended on the package since I am a little sensitive to chocolate.

Alternatively I make a hot carob drink or carob brownies. Just as good without the caffeine of chocolate that makes it even harder for me to get to sleep. I just have to make sure the carob isn't cross contaminated by nuts...

Skylark Collaborator

Hi Skylark,

I got some kind of computer bug from the Sees download. Just thought I'd let you know. I am using a Mac so it was unusual. Had to trash the download umpteen times. Wouldn't let me do anything else but open it, which kept repeating. I closed down the computer and restarted it and emptied the trash yet again. Hate to think what it would do to a PC.

I am very upset that you would accuse me of linking to a virus! :angry:

Those links are to commercial website for a well-known company with a Open Original Shared Link seal on the home page that guarantees that the whole website is scanned daily for viruses and malware. It works fine on my PC and I can't imagine McAffee would have missed anything. The second link is to an Adobe .pdf file. Perhaps your .pdf reader is configured incorrectly?

Sammyj Apprentice

No chocolate will make this a hard diet (life style)!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Have you tried Scharffen Berger?

come dance with me Enthusiast

Can you have soy? We buy sweet williams chocolate. Lindt dark chocolate is also gluten free and vegan :)

lynnelise Apprentice

I am very upset that you would accuse me of linking to a virus! :angry:

Those links are to commercial website for a well-known company with a Open Original Shared Link seal on the home page that guarantees that the whole website is scanned daily for viruses and malware. It works fine on my PC and I can't imagine McAffee would have missed anything. The second link is to an Adobe .pdf file. Perhaps your .pdf reader is configured incorrectly?

Both links opened without issue on my work PC. All sorts of innocent sites trigger warnings with our scanning software but these opened perfect, no warnings.

I now really want those See's chocolates though! Like for breakfast! :)

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm with you on wanting *good* chocolate. There are a number that I like - Dolfin, Castelain, Cluizel. Where you can get them depends on where you are, but you can order them online as well. (I go through chocosphere.com, based in portland.) You'll want to check through - I haven't verified the shared facility status, but no good (unflavored) chocolate has barley malt in it, and there are a couple that are good enough to not use soy either (like the Cluizel).

Happy chocolate!

Poppi Enthusiast

I buy Cocoa Camino bars. Organic, Fair Trade, not ridiculously expensive and so far I haven't come across a flavour with gluten. I like Orange the best.

Harpgirl Explorer

Wow, I've never heard of most of these! :huh: I guess I have a lot of taste testing to do :P I forgot that there is a small chocolate maker in town that I like, not quite Godiva but better than Dove. I'll call them to find out if its safe. All these others, are they usually found in the health food stores then?

melikamaui Explorer

Enjoy Life chocolate chips are allergen free at least (gluten, dairy, and soy). Not sure about the bars.

Sunspire products tend to be gluten free.

It was my understanding that NO Sunspire products are gluten free. I called the company and they said they cannot guarantee that any of their products are safe for anyone on a gluten free diet. I was really bummed because we loved Sundrops! :angry:

organicmama Contributor

I will have to go look at our chocolate chips. Pretty sure they were Sunspire and Gluten-free Casein-free. So sad to here that the company said that.

YoloGx Rookie

Both links opened without issue on my work PC. All sorts of innocent sites trigger warnings with our scanning software but these opened perfect, no warnings.

I now really want those See's chocolates though! Like for breakfast! :)

I am glad to hear no one else had a problem. Maybe it is something else??

Anyway, Skylark, I wasn't accusing, just noting my experience. I would hope we can note such things here.

sb2178 Enthusiast

I went to the mall with the boys today and stopped into Godiva to get my free monthly truffle. Wouldn't ya know it? Nothing in there is gluten-free! :angry: I'm extremely picky about chocolate. I never touch M&Ms or a Butterfinger. I'll go for Dove if I'm really jonesing, but I don't particularly care for it. Ghirardelli is out too. Basically, when I crave chocolate, I wish I lived in Europe. If there is a safe chocolate, can anyone recommend one for me?

Taza is good, and no gluten around. I've bought the Schaffen-berger baking bars with no problems, but I don't remember if there was a shared facility statement on it.

AmyE Newbie

I eat bag after bag of rolos

catsmeow Contributor

Skylark, thanks for posting that link to See's allergen info. I was on their website the other day and could not find it anywhere!!!

Archived