This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heading To Uk

srall

srall Contributor

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked a lot on this forum, but I'm stressing because we are leaving tomorrow and I have a ton to do so I don't want to do a search (sorry). My daughter and I are gluten/dairy/corn free. I'm trusting that once we're in England I'll be able to shop for food and order meat and a vegetable in a restaurant, but I'm wondering what food I can bring into the country? Can I bring sealed food, such as mrs. May's and Lara bars?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Contact the airline you will travling on AND the airport you will flying out of and ask them. Seriously. I had always thought that sealed dry food was okay to take through security, but recently (last month) my hubby was flying and told he could not bring a sealed canister of Lays Stax through. They said he either had to toss them or eat them before going through security. This was just an in-country flight too! I was floored! They were sealed and went through the x-ray machine just fine. Security pulled it out and said he couldn't bring them through.

ETA: I last flew overseas in 2004 and back then it was fine to bring dry foods on board--I had no food restriction back then but took lots of snacks. So I'm sure the policies have cahanged since then. Don't go by anyone's experiences. See if you can get it from the TSA or airline. Make a note of who you speak to as well so that if you have a problem you can name drop at the airport.

love2travel Mentor

We fly to Europe frequently but only our past trip in May was gluten-free. I had absolutely no problems taking sealed things such as gluten-free nuts, pretzels, Udi's bread, little packets of Nutella, falafel chips. Oh, and homemade toffee and some Skittles. I did not know how much would be available so actually took too much along (ended up frequenting markets instead - very little need for processed snacks except at airports and on flights as the gluten-free meals were...um...yucky). I don't normally do processed food so brought most of it back!

Lara bars should be fine I would think but I agree with Glutenfreemanna - you must contact the airlines first. Don't forget to request gluten-free meals! Airlines must be given 24-48 hours' notice.

sreese68 Enthusiast

TSA's guidelines on food: Open Original Shared Link According to their guidelines, wrapped food is OK to bring on board. There's a link to the left for medical conditions that says you can bring frozen items on board as long as they're not slushy. You may want to call to confirm that food is included in this rule.

I have yet to fly gluten-free, but we're going to London in September, and I HAVE to bring food on board. I have too many food restrictions to be able to rely on an airline gluten-free-food menu. I haven't researched what can be brought into the country, so that's something I need to do, too.

Oh, website with gluten-free restaurants in the UK: Open Original Shared Link (I think they're having troubles with their server right now because it was going in and out on me, so maybe try it this evening?)

srall Contributor

I called the airline (Delta) and was told I could bring any food from home, just no liquids. So, that was my biggest worry. I am not going to request a meal on the flight just because I agree that it probably is going to be gross, and it's just safer to feed myself and my 8 year old. Her especially because her behavior breaks down when she eats something bad. So...hopefully we can at least get there, and then worry about finding a market when we arrive. Luckily our scheduled arrival is noon, so we should have time. Thanks.

Gemini Experienced

I called the airline (Delta) and was told I could bring any food from home, just no liquids. So, that was my biggest worry. I am not going to request a meal on the flight just because I agree that it probably is going to be gross, and it's just safer to feed myself and my 8 year old. Her especially because her behavior breaks down when she eats something bad. So...hopefully we can at least get there, and then worry about finding a market when we arrive. Luckily our scheduled arrival is noon, so we should have time. Thanks.

I've been to London many, many times and you will have no problems with obtaining gluten-free food there. There is a HUGE Whole Foods on Kensington High Street, near to Kensington Palace, and they are chocked with foods for the food challenged. Try the Genius bread, which is gluten-free, and is absolutely delicious.

One of the chain restaurants we like is Cafe Rouge. There are more than one in London and they have a great gluten-free menu. If you go to the Tower of London, they have one at St. Katherine's Dock...almost next door to the Tower. There is also a restaurant in Leicester Square called Mermaids and you can get really good gluten-free fish and chips.

As long as what you bring isn't any liquid over 3 oz., you can bring most anything to eat on board. I have brought bagels, bread, snacks..you name it and it's never been confiscated by the food nazi's. They don't allow fruits, meats or cheeses to be brought into Britain BUT if you make a sandwich and eat it on board the plane, it shouldn't be a problem. Most flights have fruit available for snacking so you probably could leave that at home.

Have a wonderful trip....London is fabulous!

srall Contributor

My goodness, thanks for all the info. I'll print out your post Gemini. I have been to London but never gluten free. We will be in London for 10 days, 4 days in Bakewell and one day at Warwick Castle. Our B & B in Bakewell has assured us that gluten free is no prob. It looks like there are a lot of cute little restaurants in the area too so we'll hopefully be able to get a safe meal. I think this Saturday night in London our hotel is near Kensington Palace so maybe we can find the WF. Plus we for sure will be visiting the Tower of London. At least the food isn't feeling too overwhelming...just everything else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

My goodness, thanks for all the info. I'll print out your post Gemini. I have been to London but never gluten free. We will be in London for 10 days, 4 days in Bakewell and one day at Warwick Castle. Our B & B in Bakewell has assured us that gluten free is no prob. It looks like there are a lot of cute little restaurants in the area too so we'll hopefully be able to get a safe meal. I think this Saturday night in London our hotel is near Kensington Palace so maybe we can find the WF. Plus we for sure will be visiting the Tower of London. At least the food isn't feeling too overwhelming...just everything else.

You probably won't see this as you may already have left but Warwick Castle is AWESOME!!!!!!!! I am pea green with envy...in a good way! :lol:

Whole Foods is easy to find. It's about a block from Kensington High Street tube station, on the same side. It's a huge building and you just cannot miss it. It will blow you away...the best WF I have ever been in. There was plenty of allergy friendly foods there. From the Palace it's a 5 minute walk west, towards Holland Park, right on the high st.

Please post when you return and let us know (me especially)how it all went. I just love that city! Happy Trails.....

love2travel Mentor

I really like Warwick Castle, too. Some of the displays are a touch tacky but it is a lot of fun - they really make it come alive! You could easily spend a few hours there. I, too, love London. Although I am NOT a city person it is an incredible place. Last time we stayed in the Kensington Palace area as well and enjoyed it very much.

B&Bs are the way to go in the UK in my opinion. No one does it better! Love the Full English breakfasts. Well, I used to...now they will be 2/3 Full English! :D

srall Contributor

I'm still here...we leave at 9:30 tonight. I'm checking in while I eat my beans and rice that I made for the plane. Man, I spent the whole morning making bread and beans and rice...and cleaning the stupid kitchen. On top of breakfast for the family FROM SCRATCH of course. It will be nice to have a few days where I have no choice but to eat in restaurants. When we can back to London next week we will be in a house so I guess I'll be back to cooking. But I'm happy about that.

My husband and I thought Warwick castle might be a touch tacky but we have an 8 year old daughter who will eat it up. Plus I outwardly love the Renaissance Festival and drag my family every year, so I think I'll dig it too. Once again, I cannot thank you all enough for your help. I'll post when we get back and let you know how it went.

love2travel Mentor

I'm still here...we leave at 9:30 tonight. I'm checking in while I eat my beans and rice that I made for the plane. Man, I spent the whole morning making bread and beans and rice...and cleaning the stupid kitchen. On top of breakfast for the family FROM SCRATCH of course. It will be nice to have a few days where I have no choice but to eat in restaurants. When we can back to London next week we will be in a house so I guess I'll be back to cooking. But I'm happy about that.

My husband and I thought Warwick castle might be a touch tacky but we have an 8 year old daughter who will eat it up. Plus I outwardly love the Renaissance Festival and drag my family every year, so I think I'll dig it too. Once again, I cannot thank you all enough for your help. I'll post when we get back and let you know how it went.

Warwick is probably the best done castle with a touch of tackiness in the UK! :lol: Very tasteful. I've been to over 125 castles in Europe and remember that one vividly. That is a good sign. Not only will your daughter love it but the two of you will as well.

Have a spectacular time in England! Man, I love it there...cannot wait to hear all the details.

Gemini Experienced

I did not find Warwick tacky at all. I think because they have wax figures from Madame Tussauds, representing a turn of the century week-end party, that some find it odd. I didn't and thoroughly enjoyed how life-like they were. It is one of the best preserved castles in Europe and is very impressive as you approach the castle. I have seen many castles in Europe in my life and, as mentioned, Warwick stands out as one of the best. You will have a blast!

You may also want to consider a trip to Hampton Court Palace. From London, it's an easy 30-40 minute train ride. I have been there twice and really enjoyed the place. I better shut up because I could go on and on....I can feel your excitement!

love2travel Mentor

I did not find Warwick tacky at all. I think because they have wax figures from Madame Tussauds, representing a turn of the century week-end party, that some find it odd. I didn't and thoroughly enjoyed how life-like they were. It is one of the best preserved castles in Europe and is very impressive as you approach the castle. I have seen many castles in Europe in my life and, as mentioned, Warwick stands out as one of the best. You will have a blast!

You may also want to consider a trip to Hampton Court Palace. From London, it's an easy 30-40 minute train ride. I have been there twice and really enjoyed the place. I better shut up because I could go on and on....I can feel your excitement!

In addition to Hampton Court I would recommend Leeds.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I've never had trouble bringing food into the UK from other countries.

The UK is one of the most food allergy-friendly countries I have ever been to. You will have a wide variety of options at restaurants and grocery stores.

srall Contributor

We're taking the Themes to Hampton Court. I'm VERY excited about that!

kareng Grand Master

We're taking the Themes to Hampton Court. I'm VERY excited about that!

We shall require a full report when you return. Unless you want to post everyday? :D

srall Contributor

Oh Karen, I think my husband would have my head. I promise I'll give a full report.

Gemini Experienced

In addition to Hampton Court I would recommend Leeds.

Another outstanding choice! :D If you want a break from the kiddo's, you can always send them into the maze! :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Another outstanding choice! :D If you want a break from the kiddo's, you can always send them into the maze! :lol:

...or even into the moat (I guess lake) if you are desperate! :lol::lol:

This is rather embarassing but once I got stuck in a maze as an adult at a Scottish castle and came within seconds of missing the last bus of the day back to my B&B. There were some worrisome moments! I could hear the bus but just could not get out of that thing. I was already envisioning hitchhiking back... :P

• 1 month later...
samuella Apprentice

Any report on the trip? We are heading to London in a few weeks and would love to hear how it went for you! :)

• 1 month later...
anabananakins Explorer

Any report on the trip? We are heading to London in a few weeks and would love to hear how it went for you! :)

Samuella, I was in London recently and it is a fabulous place to be gluten free (well, the UK generally I found). All the supermarkets have a big range of foods, all together. I adored the sainsbury's "free from" brownies, but they have heaps of other treats too. Restaurants were always helpful, and I went to a few without researching in advance. Servers knew what I was talking about.

The "Genius" brand of bread tastes like regular bread! I had a gluten free warburtons (sp?) brand sliced bread that was also really nice.

There is a chain called "Giraffe" that has extremely knowledge staff (at least, they were at the two restaurants I ate at). I ate at the one at Heathrow on my way home, and the waiter impressed me so much with his care that I tipped something like 25% and told him why (and tipping on a meal like that really isn't customary in the UK.

I got burgers (no bun) at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. But you can't have the fries.

M&S Food (and you find them at all the big London railway stations) have a big range of salads, grilled chicken etc that is all really well-labelled. The options were so numerous that they totally addled my jetlagged brain (wasn't expecting choice!). The labelling in general is nice and clear.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and enjoy your trip!

Regameleca Rookie

Hello all!

I live the uk and it's very good for eating out! Try otto pizza in Notting hill, they do the BEST gluten free cornmeal crust pizza! They say they can't guarantee it's gluten free so they call it "free from gluten" but I've never had a problem! Also Carluccios is a chain of Italian restaurants that offers a huge gluten free menu, they are everywhere. Wahaca is a great mexican chain, they don't have any advice on their menu but are generally helpful if you speak to them.

If you go to Westfield mall in shepards bush they have a lot of restaurants to choose from including wahaca, ooze of risotto (in food court) Pho for..well Pho:p(in food court), busabi eathai for Thai(again no advice on menu but generally helpful in person) and I've heard but not tried that Jamie oliver's italian restaurant can be good! When my sister came over we had dinner there quite often!

They also have an m&s which has gluten-free treats, cakes, bread and over priced sandwiches

Also there is a great shop called planet organic in nottinghill for gluten free goods and another called portobello whole foods on portobello road, which has an amazing Market on sat! Also try cookies (or biscuits ad they are known here) by Kent and fraser! Sold at the above shops... My favourite is lemon shortbread! Amazing! And genius bread!!

love2travel Mentor

Samuella, I was in London recently and it is a fabulous place to be gluten free (well, the UK generally I found). All the supermarkets have a big range of foods, all together. I adored the sainsbury's "free from" brownies, but they have heaps of other treats too. Restaurants were always helpful, and I went to a few without researching in advance. Servers knew what I was talking about.

The "Genius" brand of bread tastes like regular bread! I had a gluten free warburtons (sp?) brand sliced bread that was also really nice.

There is a chain called "Giraffe" that has extremely knowledge staff (at least, they were at the two restaurants I ate at). I ate at the one at Heathrow on my way home, and the waiter impressed me so much with his care that I tipped something like 25% and told him why (and tipping on a meal like that really isn't customary in the UK.

I got burgers (no bun) at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. But you can't have the fries.

M&S Food (and you find them at all the big London railway stations) have a big range of salads, grilled chicken etc that is all really well-labelled. The options were so numerous that they totally addled my jetlagged brain (wasn't expecting choice!). The labelling in general is nice and clear.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and enjoy your trip!

Can you please describe Genius bread in detail? I have read about it but want to know what it REALLY tastes like for when we go to the UK.

Regameleca Rookie

Can you please describe Genius bread in detail? I have read about it but want to know what it REALLY tastes like for when we go to the UK.

It looks just like 'normal' bread, it's a bit drier but not at all solid and hard like so many gluten free breads are. when it toasts it almost tastes exactly like normal bread, but you can easily eat it untoasted as well. It's got a slightly starchiness to it but the best thing about it is they got the texture and feel bang on! i hate how gluten free bread is so crumbly. It doesn't last long so it's best to keep in the fridge or better yet frozen. I've only just gone properly gluten free so the taste of normal bread is fresh in my mind but i've tried several brands over here and this one is the best. My sister has celiacs and she gets me to bring it back to her in Canada every time i come home.I'm sorry it's tough to describe it's flavour exactly but it's good..:)

anabananakins Explorer

It looks just like 'normal' bread, it's a bit drier but not at all solid and hard like so many gluten free breads are. when it toasts it almost tastes exactly like normal bread, but you can easily eat it untoasted as well. It's got a slightly starchiness to it but the best thing about it is they got the texture and feel bang on! i hate how gluten free bread is so crumbly. It doesn't last long so it's best to keep in the fridge or better yet frozen. I've only just gone properly gluten free so the taste of normal bread is fresh in my mind but i've tried several brands over here and this one is the best. My sister has celiacs and she gets me to bring it back to her in Canada every time i come home.I'm sorry it's tough to describe it's flavour exactly but it's good..:)

Um, what she said! I'm rubbish at describing - and I've never eaten gluten-containing US bread - but the genius bread tastes pretty much like normal, sliced wholewheat bread, I think. At least, how I remember it tasting. It's soft, slightly crumbly but you can make sandwiches and has no weird lingering taste. It's also available in regular supermarkets and is not crazy expensive.

I dragged a bag of groceries around with me on a million trains around england and so my bread wasn't kept in the fridge or frozen, and it lasted fine in the days I had it before using it up. Be gentle with it though - the last few slices got mangled and rather than doing that squashed thing that regular bread does, they shattered into crumbs. But I was throwing that bag all over the place.

Archived