Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pre-Workout Drink

17 posts in this topic

I'm only one week into being gluten free so still learning every day. I am used to taking whey protein and N.O. Explode (creatine, nitrus oxide and a bunch of crap) as my only suppliments. I confirmed that my gold standard whey is gluten free. I'm looking for a new pre-workout drink and was leaning towards trying the Jack3d. Any recommendations / feedback? How about any recommendations for gluten-free energy bars? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Lara Bars are gluten-free http://www.larabar.com/

I just drink gatorade and water before my games and chocolate milk afterwards :)

I'm only one week into being gluten free so still learning every day. I am used to taking whey protein and N.O. Explode (creatine, nitrus oxide and a bunch of crap) as my only suppliments. I confirmed that my gold standard whey is gluten free. I'm looking for a new pre-workout drink and was leaning towards trying the Jack3d. Any recommendations / feedback? How about any recommendations for gluten-free energy bars? Thanks!

For a good gluten free energy bar for working out try Purefit bars. I have only seen them at a gluten free store i go to but I know you can also buy them off their website. Check out the link. Best tasting gluten free bar I have tried and has 18 grams of protein in them.

My link

Actual food works too: PB, almond butter, hard boiled eggs, deli meat, tuna, etc for protein and then fruit/dairy/grains for carbs.

Cold boiled potatoes a fav for me pre-run.

Lara Bars are gluten-free http://www.larabar.com/

I just drink gatorade and water before my games and chocolate milk afterwards :)

I see WalMart carries these so I will give them a try. Thanks!

For a good gluten free energy bar for working out try Purefit bars. I have only seen them at a gluten free store i go to but I know you can also buy them off their website. Check out the link. Best tasting gluten free bar I have tried and has 18 grams of protein in them.

My link

Those look good. I'm going to order a box from Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion.

There are a few things that I religiously take before my workouts:

- BIG Bowl of blueberries with about a cup of 0% fat Greek yogurt

- Green tea (two tea bags to make it strong)

- gluten-free protein shake

- AAKG (L-Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate) It's a better substitute for N.O. Explode and will help give you those immediate pumps at the gym.

- Large glass of water

Don't fall for any of the Gatorade or Muscle Milk pre-work out claims. WAY too expensive in my mind.

There are a few things that I religiously take before my workouts:

- BIG Bowl of blueberries with about a cup of 0% fat Greek yogurt

- Green tea (two tea bags to make it strong)

- gluten-free protein shake

- AAKG (L-Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate) It's a better substitute for N.O. Explode and will help give you those immediate pumps at the gym.

- Large glass of water

Don't fall for any of the Gatorade or Muscle Milk pre-work out claims. WAY too expensive in my mind.

GlutenGladi8or -

I'm going to give that AAKG (L-Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate) a try. It's the first ingredient in Jack3d. I think it's a good idea to keep the ingredients simple, plus I haven't taken a break from creatine in a while. By the way, how long did it take you to start putting on weight once you went gluten-free? I've worked out for years and get stronger but never could add lbs.

I have been on a gluten free diet for 5 years. It was tough in the beginning, but I have really gotten use to it - it's a very healthy diet.

When I was first diagnosed in 2006 at the age of 24 I weighed 184 pounds, and I'm 6"4". I was very skinny and looked sickly.

5 years later - I weigh 206 pounds. I got tired of everyone calling me skinny, so I joined a gym last year. Best move of my life.

I am extremely sensitive to gluten, so it was tough finding high quality protein products and workout supplements. Here are my recommendations:

Protein powder - Solgar Whey to go protein - excellent quality, 20grams of protein per serving. I buy it in larger quantities at Vitacost. Wegman's also sells it in smaller containers. I like the natural vanilla.

Preworkout - Jack3d Raspberry lemonade - awesome flavor. I only take 1-1.5 scoops before my workout. This product works!!!! I could hit the weights for an hour plus, and in the end, I'm not even tired.

Post workout - Proasis protein shots. Excellent taste. All natural and allergen free. 2.9 ounces has 25g of protein. Wegman's sell these as well.

Proetin bars - as stated above Purefit are awesome. Best if you buy by the box of 15, usually around $28 a box. Berry almond, Peanut Butter, and almond crunch are excellent.

Also, I buy the Organic food bar "Protein bars". These are soy & dairy free, and have 22g of protein per bar. Excellent taset, made from almond butter. Buy them by the box of 12 at Vitacost at around $25-$26 a box.

Add these into an additional 3 healthy mneals with lean meats, veggies and fruits, you'll be putting on lean muscle in a few weeks. I also take a multivitamin each day as well.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Thanks for the excellent info. Now that I am gluten-free for about 2 months I want to begin working out and put some weight back on.

I'll keep you posted, but I just read about "Questbars" as another great high protein, gluten free bar. Their mixed berry sounds excellent. They are also really high in fiber. I just went on their website, and you can get 2 free samples of their bars.

I just completed the tour, and I requested my 2 free samples - it only took a minute. I'll let you know how they are once they arrive. I would suggest everyone do the same, the price is right:)

Tony

I pop a few or three raw eggs before the workout and a few after. Then throw in a little raw coconut with some cocoa mixed in with a bit of coconut oil as a chaser. Then it's meat and veggies a little later on. I was having some fruit as well but discovered today that by skipping the fruit I feel a lot better. Have gained a few pounds these last few weeks on this and all maximums have been climbing too. Keeping it all natural.

By the way, how long did it take you to start putting on weight once you went gluten-free? I've worked out for years and get stronger but never could add lbs.

It took me about 2 months to get "stable" after being glutened for years. After that, I re-evaluated how I looked at my dinner plate in the past. Once all of the fully gluten items were off the plate, I made room.... and slowly increased my LEAN protein intake at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you want to add muscle, I would suggest that you do the same.

Just try and eat as clean as possible (all natural and organic), and don't expect to add a pound overnight. Sometime, just a pound a month can add up over a 12 month period of time. Or if you're really pushing it, 1.5 pounds a month is 18 pounds. Pretty significant when you think about it.

Keep me posted. I thrive when I hear about others who have "dusted themselves off" after they know that gluten is the culprit that hinders our potential.

Defeat wheat!

I'll keep you posted, but I just read about "Questbars" as another great high protein, gluten free bar. Their mixed berry sounds excellent. They are also really high in fiber. I just went on their website, and you can get 2 free samples of their bars.

I just completed the tour, and I requested my 2 free samples - it only took a minute. I'll let you know how they are once they arrive. I would suggest everyone do the same, the price is right:)

Tony

Quest Bars are amazing. Some of the other bars mentioned here have like 30 grams of carbs and a ton of sugar which are the kind I used to ate before I knew better :D

I actually found them from an ad I saw here. Worth checking out for sure!

Quest Bars are amazing. Some of the other bars mentioned here have like 30 grams of carbs and a ton of sugar which are the kind I used to ate before I knew better :D

I actually found them from an ad I saw here. Worth checking out for sure!

This is helpful! I was only diagnosed with celiac a week ago. I'm into heavy weight training and have spent years critiquing my diet to now have to intermingle the diet I love to do with a diet I have to do. Still feeling really uneducated and stressed about being gluten free until I am able to critique this too.

Having to part with my whey protein and the protein bars set in some serious separation anxiety! Ha. I did much research this past week and found that Perfect Nutrition Diesel Protein out of New Zealand is gluten free and contains most of everything else I'm after..... but it's really expensive.... much like the rest of this diet.... but I'm trying it anyways.

I'm going to try the Quest bars. Taking your advice on this. Thanks

I am gluten-free for two months now. Before i was used to take Maximuscle products but most of them turned out to have gluten. So i am looking for protein drinks that are gluten-free. I am searching about the Optimum Nutrition (ON)Gold Standard Whey and the Cytosport Muscle Milk. Is anyone familiar with these products and do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much !!