16 replies to this topic

#1 Iornsman

Iornsman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

I'm only one week into being gluten free so still learning every day. I am used to taking whey protein and N.O. Explode (creatine, nitrus oxide and a bunch of crap) as my only suppliments. I confirmed that my gold standard whey is gluten free. I'm looking for a new pre-workout drink and was leaning towards trying the Jack3d. Any recommendations / feedback? How about any recommendations for gluten-free energy bars? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Lara Bars are gluten-free http://www.larabar.com/

I just drink gatorade and water before my games and chocolate milk afterwards :)

I'm only one week into being gluten free so still learning every day. I am used to taking whey protein and N.O. Explode (creatine, nitrus oxide and a bunch of crap) as my only suppliments. I confirmed that my gold standard whey is gluten free. I'm looking for a new pre-workout drink and was leaning towards trying the Jack3d. Any recommendations / feedback? How about any recommendations for gluten-free energy bars? Thanks!

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#3 Ryan T

Ryan T

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

For a good gluten free energy bar for working out try Purefit bars. I have only seen them at a gluten free store i go to but I know you can also buy them off their website. Check out the link. Best tasting gluten free bar I have tried and has 18 grams of protein in them.

My link

#4 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Actual food works too: PB, almond butter, hard boiled eggs, deli meat, tuna, etc for protein and then fruit/dairy/grains for carbs.

Cold boiled potatoes a fav for me pre-run.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#5 Iornsman

Iornsman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

Lara Bars are gluten-free http://www.larabar.com/

I just drink gatorade and water before my games and chocolate milk afterwards :)

I see WalMart carries these so I will give them a try. Thanks!

#6 Iornsman

Iornsman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

For a good gluten free energy bar for working out try Purefit bars. I have only seen them at a gluten free store i go to but I know you can also buy them off their website. Check out the link. Best tasting gluten free bar I have tried and has 18 grams of protein in them.

My link

Those look good. I'm going to order a box from Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion.

#7 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

There are a few things that I religiously take before my workouts:

- BIG Bowl of blueberries with about a cup of 0% fat Greek yogurt
- Green tea (two tea bags to make it strong)
- gluten-free protein shake
- AAKG (L-Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate) It's a better substitute for N.O. Explode and will help give you those immediate pumps at the gym.
- Large glass of water

Don't fall for any of the Gatorade or Muscle Milk pre-work out claims. WAY too expensive in my mind.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#8 Iornsman

Iornsman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

There are a few things that I religiously take before my workouts:

- BIG Bowl of blueberries with about a cup of 0% fat Greek yogurt
- Green tea (two tea bags to make it strong)
- gluten-free protein shake
- AAKG (L-Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate) It's a better substitute for N.O. Explode and will help give you those immediate pumps at the gym.
- Large glass of water

Don't fall for any of the Gatorade or Muscle Milk pre-work out claims. WAY too expensive in my mind.

GlutenGladi8or -
I'm going to give that AAKG (L-Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate) a try. It's the first ingredient in Jack3d. I think it's a good idea to keep the ingredients simple, plus I haven't taken a break from creatine in a while. By the way, how long did it take you to start putting on weight once you went gluten-free? I've worked out for years and get stronger but never could add lbs.

#9 Honus Wagner

Honus Wagner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:18 AM

I have been on a gluten free diet for 5 years. It was tough in the beginning, but I have really gotten use to it - it's a very healthy diet.

When I was first diagnosed in 2006 at the age of 24 I weighed 184 pounds, and I'm 6"4". I was very skinny and looked sickly.

5 years later - I weigh 206 pounds. I got tired of everyone calling me skinny, so I joined a gym last year. Best move of my life.

I am extremely sensitive to gluten, so it was tough finding high quality protein products and workout supplements. Here are my recommendations:

Protein powder - Solgar Whey to go protein - excellent quality, 20grams of protein per serving. I buy it in larger quantities at Vitacost. Wegman's also sells it in smaller containers. I like the natural vanilla.

Preworkout - Jack3d Raspberry lemonade - awesome flavor. I only take 1-1.5 scoops before my workout. This product works!!!! I could hit the weights for an hour plus, and in the end, I'm not even tired.

Post workout - Proasis protein shots. Excellent taste. All natural and allergen free. 2.9 ounces has 25g of protein. Wegman's sell these as well.

Proetin bars - as stated above Purefit are awesome. Best if you buy by the box of 15, usually around $28 a box. Berry almond, Peanut Butter, and almond crunch are excellent.

Also, I buy the Organic food bar "Protein bars". These are soy & dairy free, and have 22g of protein per bar. Excellent taset, made from almond butter. Buy them by the box of 12 at Vitacost at around $25-$26 a box.

Add these into an additional 3 healthy mneals with lean meats, veggies and fruits, you'll be putting on lean muscle in a few weeks. I also take a multivitamin each day as well.

Hope this helps,
Tony

#10 RL2011

RL2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the excellent info. Now that I am gluten-free for about 2 months I want to begin working out and put some weight back on.
Richard

#11 Honus Wagner

Honus Wagner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I'll keep you posted, but I just read about "Questbars" as another great high protein, gluten free bar. Their mixed berry sounds excellent. They are also really high in fiber. I just went on their website, and you can get 2 free samples of their bars.

I just completed the tour, and I requested my 2 free samples - it only took a minute. I'll let you know how they are once they arrive. I would suggest everyone do the same, the price is right:)

Tony

#12 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

I pop a few or three raw eggs before the workout and a few after. Then throw in a little raw coconut with some cocoa mixed in with a bit of coconut oil as a chaser. Then it's meat and veggies a little later on. I was having some fruit as well but discovered today that by skipping the fruit I feel a lot better. Have gained a few pounds these last few weeks on this and all maximums have been climbing too. Keeping it all natural.

#13 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:08 AM

By the way, how long did it take you to start putting on weight once you went gluten-free? I've worked out for years and get stronger but never could add lbs.

It took me about 2 months to get "stable" after being glutened for years. After that, I re-evaluated how I looked at my dinner plate in the past. Once all of the fully gluten items were off the plate, I made room.... and slowly increased my LEAN protein intake at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you want to add muscle, I would suggest that you do the same.

Just try and eat as clean as possible (all natural and organic), and don't expect to add a pound overnight. Sometime, just a pound a month can add up over a 12 month period of time. Or if you're really pushing it, 1.5 pounds a month is 18 pounds. Pretty significant when you think about it.

Keep me posted. I thrive when I hear about others who have "dusted themselves off" after they know that gluten is the culprit that hinders our potential.

Defeat wheat!
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#14 Februaryrich

Februaryrich

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

Banana, Whey Powder and peanut butter shake = the way to go.
Gluten free since 01/09/11
Food intolerance to be determined!

#15 BurningItOff

BurningItOff

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

I'll keep you posted, but I just read about "Questbars" as another great high protein, gluten free bar. Their mixed berry sounds excellent. They are also really high in fiber. I just went on their website, and you can get 2 free samples of their bars.

I just completed the tour, and I requested my 2 free samples - it only took a minute. I'll let you know how they are once they arrive. I would suggest everyone do the same, the price is right:)

Tony

Quest Bars are amazing. Some of the other bars mentioned here have like 30 grams of carbs and a ton of sugar which are the kind I used to ate before I knew better :D

I actually found them from an ad I saw here. Worth checking out for sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: