5 replies to this topic

#1 Kitt

Kitt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

In the old days, :~)when I could use self-rising flour I made drop biscuits using self-rising flour, canola oil and milk and had the best biscuits with sausage gravy.

Now, all I can find are recipes using crisco/marg/butter.

I'm lazy. Would anyone have a recipe similar to the one I used to use. Thanks bunches.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:58 AM

In the old days, :~)when I could use self-rising flour I made drop biscuits using self-rising flour, canola oil and milk and had the best biscuits with sausage gravy.

Now, all I can find are recipes using crisco/marg/butter.

I'm lazy. Would anyone have a recipe similar to the one I used to use. Thanks bunches.

Living Without magazine has a list of substitutions and gluten-free flour blands including one for self-rising flour. You could try your own recipe to see how it works with this blend (you'll probably have to add xanthan gum).

Here's also a recipe from their website for Buttermilk Biscuits
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:17 AM

I have a good biscuit recipe, but they are not drop biscuits. You pat the dough out and cut them out with a glass. Every drop biscuit recipe I have tried, gluten-free, has not turned out tasting or looking very good. One thing that has helped me is to read the comments under the online recipes to see how the recipe turned out for others.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

I have a good biscuit recipe, but they are not drop biscuits. You pat the dough out and cut them out with a glass. Every drop biscuit recipe I have tried, gluten-free, has not turned out tasting or looking very good. One thing that has helped me is to read the comments under the online recipes to see how the recipe turned out for others.

I always read the comments, too...many times good suggestions are given that I would never have thought of.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 Kitt

Kitt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

#6 Kitt

Kitt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

Living Without magazine has a list of substitutions and gluten-free flour blands including one for self-rising flour. You could try your own recipe to see how it works with this blend (you'll probably have to add xanthan gum).

Here's also a recipe from their website for Buttermilk Biscuits

Checked out the site. Thanks so much. Many questions answered and I'm sure it will make life simpler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: