#1 Beth C from MA

Beth C from MA

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone else ran into this - Was diagnosed with Celiac on 6/20/11 based on positive blood test, haven't had biopsy but went gluten free on 6/20/11 regardless.

For years, I had bloating, fatigue, intermittent unexplained anemia which no tests could explain, digestive/bathroom issues, and even weak muscles and awful balance. I've also had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20 years and have been taking NSAIDS for almost that long. (Along with other injectable meds)

Having had R.A. this long, I understood it came with significant fatigue, even with how well I am responding to my Enbrel/Methotrexate therapy. I knew something ELSE was going on, and after doing my own research I requested the Celiac test. That's how we found out I had Celiac Disease.

I've taken Omeprazole for about 18 mos. now, as my Rheumy Doc attributed my stomach issues to the long term NSAID use. And I have to say my digestive issues are a bit better when I am on Omeprazole. But my digestive issues do seem to be backing off even more the longer I am gluten-free, although admittedly it's only been about 3 weeks. This makes me wonder if perhaps the Omeprazole use was masking my celiac symptoms to some degree the last 18 months. I'm not crazy about taking it anyway since it can block the absorption of calcium and some B vitamins.

Has anyone else run into this/heard of this/discussed Omeprazole with their doc?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: