arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone LDS? How Do You Handle The Sacrament Bread?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 terpeng

terpeng

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

My 16 yr old DD was diagnosed with Celiac Disease last week. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, (LDS) we have sacrament of bread and water each week. The bread is one small torn piece, I would say about the size of a nickel. We asked the bishop permission to subsitute gluten free bread, but were told no, but that we could do home sacrament. I don't want to have to do that for the rest of her life. Anyone else LDS and have this problem? How do I get the bishop to agree to let us bring in some gluten-free bread in a ziploc bag? Is there any info I can show him? His attitude is "It's only one small bite once a week. That's so small I won't hurt her."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,535 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

Would it help to show him info from a doctor?

http://www.celiacdis...luten-free-diet

I don't believe that God wants her to stay sick. God made us smart and he wants us to use our brains. We have discovered what makes her sick. Knowing that the wheat makes her sick, but still giving it to her, dishonors God's gift. Maybe someone on here has an LDS branch that does gluten-free and you can show that info to him, too.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

I firmly believe what Kareng stated. He must not want to be troubled & he for sure lacks knowledge of celiac disease.... I would supply him with every report I could find & also send it to the higher authority in your church.and have a meeting with the higher suthority. If that doesn't work I would find a new place to pray...
blessings

mamaw

#4 loneferret

loneferret

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Here's a snip from Wikipedia (for what it's worth)
http://en.wikipedia....eligious_issues

In the Christian Eucharist a wafer or small piece of wheat bread is eaten (see Sacramental bread).
A typical wafer weighs about half a gram[89] Wheat flour contains around 10 to 13% gluten, so a single communion
wafer may have more than 50 mg of gluten, an amount which will harm the health of many coeliac patients especially
if consumed every day (see Diet above). Many Christian churches offer their communicants gluten-free alternatives,
usually in the form of a rice-based cracker or gluten-free bread.
These include United Methodist, Christian Reformed, Episcopal, Lutheran, Roman Catholic
and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.[90]

As others have just said, I go higher up the chain of command.
Good luck.

#5 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

i am not lds (i'm methodist) we have communion once a month and i do exactly that: bring a tiny piece of bread in a snacky ziplok bag and when it's time to go up to the altar, i take it out. our pastor brings out torn bread for everyone but when he gets to me i open my hand (have spoken abt this to him prior) and he blesses it just like he blesses everybody else's bread. the wine is grape juice and i checked the ingredients so no substitution needed. is this a special kind of bread? like made by priests or unleavened or something necessary for the sacrament? because the same could be said to him: it's only one little piece for him (or her) to bless and not nitpick what it's made of?

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#6 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

Although not LDS, but Christian, I was bring a piece of bread and then bringing it out at the appropriate time for the past few months. Last week my pastor asked about how to make the communion bread for everyone gluten-free. I was surprised and happy to be included.

#7 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,535 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

Here's a snip from Wikipedia (for what it's worth)
http://en.wikipedia....eligious_issues

As others have just said, I go higher up the chain of command.
Good luck.

Actually, for the Catholic church this is not true. They have gotten it into their heads that it must contain wheat. There is a very low low gluten wafer they will accept. However, receiving the wine ( blood of Christ) is considered equal to the wafer.

Not trying to start a religious debate....just offer solutions. :)

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#8 loneferret

loneferret

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Actually, for the Catholic church this is not true. They have gotten it into their heads that it must contain wheat. There is a very low low gluten wafer they will accept. However, receiving the wine ( blood of Christ) is considered equal to the wafer.

Not trying to start a religious debate....just offer solutions. :)

That's why I wrote in "for what it's worth". But I'm not surprised.
IMO, it comes down to the priest. My cousin's a priest, and he sees no problem with a gluten free alternative. Which is why I think a good long intelligent conversation with your priest/pastor/<insert name here> is something that needs to be done. If he/her won't agree, go see his/her boss and start over. I do think faith is important, you kinda need to be healthy to practice your faith.

Just my 2cents CAD

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

This topic is very old, but may be of some help: http://www.celiac.co...85-lds-mission/ None of the participants there have been here recently.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#10 DianeMu

DianeMu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

I am Catholic, but I talked to my priest who offered to buy rice host. But he also said that God knows our intentions. If our intention is to receive but we can not - God knows that! Intention goes a long way. We receive Communion in the form of Bread and Wine and in receiving one we believe we are receiving the body and blood of Christ. I know beliefs differ from one Christian religion to another - but I hope this helps.

#11 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

I read an article about a family in Rexburg ID that would bring their own bread for their family. They had to get some buy in so the teenage boys that handle it knew about how easy cross contamination was. Turns out there were others in the ward that needed to be gluten-free and eventually they had a whole tray of gluten-free bread that went to those who needed it.

Keep talking to leadership. Your DD should in NO WAY compromise her diet. If nothing else, bring a bite of your own bread/cracker and just eat that.
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

#12 StepbyStep

StepbyStep

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:36 AM

I am Lutheran, and we are lucky that our church offers gluten-free wafers to take when you come to the communion rail. I'm not sure how I will handle things when we visit my father-in-law's much smaller church (I was just diagnosed two weeks ago), but may use a snack bag and my own bread as others have suggested.
I hope you can convince the leadership in your church that just as they would not insist someone with a peanut allergy eat something with peanuts, they should not discount the damage a small amount of gluten can cause to someone with celiac disease.

#13 deinanthe

deinanthe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

My mother is LDS and has celiac. There is no reason in the world that you can't be accommodated. Yes, you need to go to a higher authority if the bishop will not help. For my mother, someone else would bring a piece of gluten-free bread that would be served first to the celiacs in the ward (there are 3 in her church). That worked for a time, but then she had a minor gluten reaction one Sunday which she thinks may have been from a contaminated hand or serving tray. She now has permission to bring her own little bit of gluten-free bread in a tiny Rubbermaid container with a lid. They keep the lid on, and when they get to her, the lid gets popped off and the bread dropped into her hand. Nobody else touches it. Works great.

#14 Brooksbelle

Brooksbelle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm a Seventh-day Adventist and we usually have communion 4 times a year. I think I'll let my pastor know (small church) and see if I can just bring my own and see if he'll "prayer" it in when they bless the emblems (what we call the bread and grape juice). I usually sit near the front so my cracker should be close enough to count when being blessed! Seriously though, I do want to be included as this is a really beautiful service and a big part of my belief system Fortunately, our Pastor has food intolerences of his own (and a good sense of humor) so I think he'll accomodate my needs with no problem.
Gluten-free since 6/26/11
Undiagnosed for 14 years
Currently also Lactose and Soy intolerant
Vegetarian

#15 Cattknap

Cattknap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

I supply the sacrament gluten-free bread for the 5 people with celiac in our ward. I would ask the Stake President about this because I believe your Bishop is incorrect in not allowing you to bring gluten free bread or rice cakes for the sacrament.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: