23 replies to this topic

#16 Menic

Menic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

I absolutely recommend reading The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life Without Wheat by Jax Peters Lowell. It's a little out of date but it's got a lot of good information and personal experiences. I read it cover to cover after getting diagnosed and it made me feel better.

Also, when in doubt, post here!
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

Chocolate may not be your thing, butÖ

Peanut M&Mís are gluten free!

Hang in there!

He will need to check that, as some American versions are and Canadian manufactured ones are not, and vice versa on several other manufactured food items.

I agree that safe chocolate and nuts is a dietary staple ;)

#18 loneferret

loneferret

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Jeez... I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but I do enjoy it from time to time.
And yes, it seems that US and CAN foods aren't automatically the same. That goes for distribution/manufacturing of products.
For example, Kellogg's Gluten Free Rice Krispies. According to an email I got, there's no market for it up here so they won't make it available.

So in keeping with the title of this thread.. man this sucks. At least now I know that special attention needs to be given towards chocolate.

#19 loneferret

loneferret

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

Well been off gluten for almost 2 months now... and guess what? I'm in no mood to continue.
My general attitude towards everyone is bad going to worse.

So I've taken a step in keeping my sanity in check: Back to the food I love.
Unless my children are diagnosed with Coeliac, I'm sticking to my decision.
I've lived with the pain most of my life, I can deal with it for the rest of it.

#20 angel9165

angel9165

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

Well been off gluten for almost 2 months now... and guess what? I'm in no mood to continue.

I've lived with the pain most of my life, I can deal with it for the rest of it.

So sorry to hear things haven't gotten better. As I was reading through all the positive feedback from other members I was thinking how tomorrow will be exactly 1 year and it has gotten better. I don't crave bread anymore and like you, that was a staple for me. I do have Udi's most days for lunch as I like sandwiches but no other bread. I have good days and bad ones too. Sometimes I'm still very angry...like just now when my co-worker walked in w/ a huge brownie and was offering to share. Or the days they cater Valentino's (very yummy italian food restaurant in these parts)...I can smell it from my office. But from where I was last year...I cried when someone walked by w/ lasagna and a breakstick...I'm doing so much better. I wish only the best for your health.
Diagnosed w/ Celiac disease on Sept 1st, 2010

#21 long silver hair

long silver hair

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Dear Loneferret,

Fret not. 99% of normal food in the grocery store is already naturally gluten free. You are just used to eating lots of the stuff with gluten in it. When I told my boyfriend about it, he freaked! You'll have to eat WIERD food from now on!!!! We won't be able to eat out!!! No, Hon, fruit, meat, veg have no gluten. That's most food. I can eat in ANY restaurant. Breathe. Its going to be ok.

There's more and more really delicious food available in grocery stores that have no gluten in them. Betty Crocker gluten-free cakemix OH MY! AWESOME!!! There's Lots of bread recipes without wheat rye or barley that look and taste and feel like real wheat bread. Peanut butter cookies and choc chip cookies and cupcakes that my buddy can't tell are gluten-free, hahaha. Now that I've got my deary calmed down, I am going to dive into the gluten-free cookbooks for noodle recipes and more bread recipes. :))) Its been a long long time since I've bought store bought bread and was surprized to find "normal" bread is already 5 bucks a loaf OMG. gluten-free specialty breads are about that, so no big deal. I'll just make my own for less cost.

CAn't wait to make eggrolls again, and sourkraut dumplings YUM. So read the labels, and wander through this fab site for specific foods that hide gluten in them.. like instant coffee.. who knew!!!? Friends with years more experience living gluten-free sent me a package Starbucks instant "ready brew VIA" French roast instant coffee. When I don't have the 10 minutes to make real coffee, I can nuke a cup of water and have one of these, knowing I'm safe from days of gut wrenching that gluten gives me. You'll find your favorites, and make a few mistakes, but it will be ok.

#22 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

Loneferret, we have all felt like you do right now but you really need to take a look at this decision.

It's hard. Really hard. I sat in the car and cried the other day because my one safe takeout restaurant was closed and I was hungry and exhausted and didn't want to go home and cook a gluten free meal for 7 people but I did it anyway. Because my health is not just important to me, it's important to my kids.

Why would you condemn yourself to a lifetime of pain because you miss bread and beer (or whatever it is you are missing)? Over the course of your life the pain can (and will) get worse. You could suffer serious nerve damage, multiple types of digestive system cancers, depression, chronic pain, fatigue and more other health problems than I can list right now.

Your kids deserve better. Your wife deserves better.

I am the only confirmed celiac in the family and all 7 of us eat gluten free. My house is a completely gluten free zone because it makes my life easier and when I am healthy I can better care for the needs of the whole family.

Are you the main income earner for your family? If you had to go on disability how would your family get by? This is a real possibility. I am 35 and have osteoarthritis in my feet and extensive nerve damage in my neck and back from celiac. I will never be able to earn a full time income.

Plan on growing old with your wife? Want to do it with an ostomy bag?

I'm sorry if this all sounds harsh but this is the reality. This disease kills you slowly. Eating gluten is just not worth it.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#23 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

It helps me to focus on what I CAN have & just try to forget about the rest. It might sound dorky but I literally say to myself as I walk through the grocery store "I can still have that!" I do it in an over exaggerated way. But I make an effort to point out to myself all the things I can have, especially the junk food ;) I also make a point not to even go near the bakery section because that's just unnecesary torture. There really ARE many great foods out there. And if you are a die hard bread lover (like myself) you should really try UDIs bread. They also have muffins and hamburger and hot dog buns and pizza crust... The stuf is so amazing I would still eat it even if I could have the poison bread again.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#24 ENF

ENF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

Good luck, if this is your final decision on the matter - but quitting the gluten-free diet, as others have mentioned, could have dire consequences for anybody with Celiac Disease.
Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: