This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Mad....

shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf Proficient

It is still up to question weather or not i have celiacs or not (acording to my GI doc). Had both the genetic and regular blood test come back positive for it, however my intestens were negative <_<. He said if i wanted to go Gluten free, do so if it made me feel better. I haven't looked back since.

However, as of late (past week or so) my burning has come back on my head/neck/face, and i've been trying to figure out what is causing it (have had it before with gluten/tomatos/green beans). Grrrrrrr....

I'm starting to think it might be the bread i've been eating (pamaela's mix), because i have been eating it on a daily basis (i eat quite a bit of it because it helps calm down my acid reflux).

My normal day looks something similar to this:

rice chex or toast with peanutbutter

apple with peanutbutter

chedder cheese

something for lunch

something for dinner

bread before i go to bed

Yes, i know there isn't much variety there at the moment, however due to my throat still not being fully healed <_< i can't have anything acidy (it causes it to go off so bad ><).

I've also been thinking it -might- be the benifiber i've been taking (before you jump on me for this, the GI doc ordered it and my family is in the mindset of "why bother going to the doctor if you aren't going to do what he says?") Though i doubt its the cause because i've been taking it for quite some time and it hasn't buged me before this.

Any advice/tips for me? Right now i've been dealing with it with ice packs and, on occasion when i can't stand it anymore, benadryl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

If you continue to eat/take gluten foods or supplements, under the excuse of "was told to by this expert" you will continue to have problems. There are numerous write ups on the web over the years, describing problems people have had taking the supposedly gluten free "Benefiber" - which is made of wheat dextrin, and obviously not processed enough to be gluten free.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well and are so frustrated Shadow.

I don't know anything about benifiber or benefiber. Can you do Romaine lettuce?

The only reason I ask is because after having D for a very long time, I started having constipation after going gluten-free for about 8 months. When I started having a big healthy salad with Romaine lettuce every day, the C stopped being a problem.

If acidity bothers you, I guess that would mean boring salad dressings, but maybe you could tolerate a small squirt of lime juice. If not, just seasoned olive oil seasoned with garlic or herbs.

I'd question the processed foods or legumes. (I know, I know, DON'T MAKE ME GIVE UP MY PEANUT BUTTER!) (I had a hissy fit about that one, but I can now tolerate peanut butter about every 3 or 4 days.)

Another alternative is eating 4-5 prunes every day (they're great with chicken) or drinking a few ounces of warmed prune juice. (I've never seen a precautionary statement on prunes or prune juice, but I haven't had to check in awhile.)

Good luck, I hope you start to feel better. :)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Well, number 1 is the Benefiber. It's a NO NO! Wheat Alert! Wheat Alert! Number 2 The Chex cereals get me, kick those out for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Number 3 kick the bread out for a couple of weeks as it bothers some folks to and last but not least the tomatoes which is in the nightshade family. Some of us can't handle those either. I get throat burning as well as reflux along with joint/muscle pain and swelling with those.

Archived