8 replies to this topic

#1 DianeMu

DianeMu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

I bought Tostitos Hint of Lime chips. I checked their website and it had a symbol - that meant "NO Gluten Ingredients" So I ate them. Got a reaction - huge headache and stomach pains. I checked back on the website to make sure I wasn't crazy and noticed that on all the Tostitos (Frito Lays) snacks they had lots of different symbols. On the Plain tostitos it had a Gluten Free Symbol, but on the Hint of Lime it had a No Gluten Ingredients Symbol. What is that all about? Why 2 different symbols? I have a call in and waiting for a call back. But I was wondering if anyone could explain. Does the No Gluten Ingredients mean they are made on the same line as Gluten Ingredients? Just a Guess. Here's the link to show you what I mean: http://www.fritolay....s/tostitos.html

Thanks, Diane

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hint o lime chips have milk in them. Any chance you're reacting to that?

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#3 DianeMu

DianeMu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

No... I'm fine with milk.

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

My guess is that they are made on the same lines as their multi-grain chips which contain wheat. No way to know unless you contact them however.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:34 AM

If you go to the FAQ section and look up their gluten-free list the Lime ones are under this disclaimer:
"Please note however, some of the products listed below may be manufactured on the same lines as products that contain gluten. Although our lines are washed between batches, Frito-Lay has not tested these products for gluten content and the ingredients in these products may have come into contact with gluten-containing products prior to manufacturing. Individuals who are sensitive to gluten should take these factors into consideration in consuming these products."

Personally the only Frito Lay product I will eat are plain potato chips. Many of the others have gotten me.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

I think that Frito Lay has announced that a few products will be labelled gluten-free coming soon. These are products made in a factory where they don't use any gluten ingriedients. The others may have no gluten ingredients but may have been processed where they use wheat - either in the chip or in the flavoring(chili Fritos for example). They do clean between flavors but it might bother some people.

Sorry. I looked for the announcement but didn't find it. Not sure if it was on this site.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

I found it!

http://www.snacks.co...luten_free.html

Supporting National Celiac Disease Awareness Month, Frito-Lay to Label Several Products as Gluten Free
May is National Celiac Disease Awareness Month, and in honor of this I am excited to announce that Frito-Lay will make gluten free claims on several of our products starting this year! Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition that causes a toxic reaction when a person consumes gluten, a protein that occurs in the grains wheat, rye and barley. There is no cure for celiac disease, but it can be treated by following a gluten free diet.
Since many of our chips are made from simple ingredients like corn or potatoes, they have naturally always been made without gluten. However, consumers with celiac disease have told us it is more helpful when they shop to have the words “gluten free” included on the packaging. So to help meet their needs, Frito-Lay is now validating with analytical testing that these products contain less than 20 parts per million (ppm) of gluten, the level put forward by the FDA Proposed Rule on Gluten Free Labeling, and then adding the “gluten free” claim to our bags.

Products that will make the gluten free claim on the back of the bag include Lay’s Classic potato chips, Fritos Original corn chips, Tostitos Scoops! tortilla chips and Baked! Lay’s Original potato crisps. For a full list of products that are qualified as gluten free, please visit our website. We are working to add more products to this list in the coming months.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 loneferret

loneferret

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

I found it!

http://www.snacks.co...luten_free.html

Supporting National Celiac Disease Awareness Month, Frito-Lay to Label Several Products as Gluten Free
May is National Celiac Disease Awareness Month, and in honor of this I am excited to announce that Frito-Lay will make gluten free claims on several of our products starting this year! Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition that causes a toxic reaction when a person consumes gluten, a protein that occurs in the grains wheat, rye and barley. There is no cure for celiac disease, but it can be treated by following a gluten free diet.
Since many of our chips are made from simple ingredients like corn or potatoes, they have naturally always been made without gluten. However, consumers with celiac disease have told us it is more helpful when they shop to have the words “gluten free” included on the packaging. So to help meet their needs, Frito-Lay is now validating with analytical testing that these products contain less than 20 parts per million (ppm) of gluten, the level put forward by the FDA Proposed Rule on Gluten Free Labeling, and then adding the “gluten free” claim to our bags.

Products that will make the gluten free claim on the back of the bag include Lay’s Classic potato chips, Fritos Original corn chips, Tostitos Scoops! tortilla chips and Baked! Lay’s Original potato crisps. For a full list of products that are qualified as gluten free, please visit our website. We are working to add more products to this list in the coming months.

Whooray!
Good news.. today I'm not much of a chip eater LOL

#9 DianeMu

DianeMu

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

Thanks guys for all your input. I actually just talked to some people at frito lays and they were quite Un-knowlegable. They kept mixing up whether 'gluten free' or 'no gluten ingredients' meant made on the same line. They kept putting me on hold and asking another person. One person came on and said that frito lays is going to start labeling gluten free - which will mean less that 20 ppm or close to it (she added the close to it). That they will not be in a dedicated facility they will just be tested. I thanked the girl for clearing it up for me and made the suggestion to add "no gluten ingredients, but made on the same line" at least on the website. That all makes me nervous - I think I'll stick to other brands for now.

It is frustrating when I check before I eat and then get glutened because I didn't check far enough. I've been gluten free for a year now and I still make mistakes. It just stinks to feel lousy over stupid chips!!

OK... enough boo-hooing....

But I did learn a few things, so that is good. If I'm going to try a new product, don't just check online, also call ask to speak to someone knowledgeable about the nutrition of the product not just a customer service rep. OY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: