Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Any Other Basic Otc Products For Dh

7 posts in this topic

My DH is getting worse and i don't have to time to go to DERM. right now. Is there anythign that u guys have been using that has been working on healing and dealing with the itch?

and i know i've been gluten-free for 9 months but been still around on fingers and slowly spreading. Maybe from being a waiter touching gluten all day?

Thanks for the help

Eddie

Ads by Google:

DH causes skin reactions to gluten as well and I would think being around gluten all day that it may have something to do with your reaction.Are all of your products like shampoos and soaps gluten free? That may be causing a problem if you haven't changed that.

Most scientists who have studied DH and celiac do not believe that simply touching gluten triggers DH. Touching gluten has never triggered my DH, although I'm also not extremely sensitive.

It's more likely that if you're touching gluten all day, you're accidentally getting small amounts into your mouth. I'm sure it's impossible for you to wash your hands every time you touch it.

Some people have reported being soothed somewhat by anti-itch creams or aloe, but the only thing that will heal the sores is being gluten-free or taking dapsone.

richard

Since you are in and out of the kitchen all day, you may also be taking in some of the gluten just breathing the dust of the flours and spices. I react strongly anytime the stuff gets into my mucous membranes.

I do not use the dapsone, but I take warm baths with Shaklee's Basic H as a bubble bath. I also will add 1 tsp clorox to the water to kill any bacteria in the sores. I keep mine soft and moist using either Clindamycin gel from the dermatologist or a petrocarb gel from Watkins. When I am out of that, I just use Vaseline. Anything to keep them moist and not get that extra itch from the tightness and stretching. I keep Vistaril around for my true allergic reactions. It also seems to help some with the itch so Benedryl might.

I have never found an otc product that did anything for my DH. I can't take dapsone either, which stinks because it takes weeks for an accidental gluten outbreak to clear up. All I can do really is to use hand cream to keep the areas from drying out and cracking as they heal. I really like bee propylis cream for this, it seems to work much better than regular lotion.

I use gold bond anti itch cream. It keeps my skin moisturized and helps sooth the itch. It does have oatmeal in it but I have never had a bad reaction. Good Luck! Oh, and I have used benedryl at night with good results.

yea ur right i guess it was b/c i was touching Gluten all day...i had to take off a month from work and it was slowly clearing up, then just got back to work to have it itchin and burning and reacting again...well i got 4 months till i go to the Police Academy anyway...= )

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• This 4 out of 5 criteria does not apply to children. I was never given a reason why, but it isn't.     That said, you may try to get a second opinion from another GI who may be willing to give her a firm dx.  We were in your boat 6 years ago and while I'm sure I'll get slammed for it, I wish we had kept gluten in our kiddos diet till he scoped positive for a variety of reasons.  Again, even family is different and you have to find what is best for you!
    • Mnoosh, I had swollen lymph nodes prior to celiac dx and for a while after going gluten free. My neck as well as groin. The groin ones were the worst. Guess what? All gone! It's hard to recall a time line & consider that everyone is different but I think mine completely resolved within a year.  You've been given great information. Just breathe and then again, breathe. You're going to be fine. 
    • It is the only thing you have eaten, so it can't be anything else?  I eat it with no issues so I am not sure how you can be certain that is the problem.  All I am saying is that its sort of "your word against mine and the company's word".  
    • Thanks cyclinglady & manasota! I appreciate it. I came to give an update...... I'm still 99% itch free. I get a "place" like a bug bite once in a while that itches and I just use the prescription steroid cream on it & that takes care of the itch. My rash is healing up rapidly everywhere. Almost clear skin now! Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyy! Now for a rundown of the "treatment". For 20 days I took a 100mg doxycycline twice a day. Then we upped it to two 100mg doxy twice per day. I took those for 5 days & made rapid progress and the itching stopped. The doxy was getting my tummy though. It was getting really rough despite my eating yogurt. So on day 6 and day 7, I took two 100mg doxy in the am but in the pm I just took 1 of them. On day 7, I was nauseous for hours on end. So since I was still doing well without itching and the rash was healing everywhere, I decided to cut back some more. On days 8, 9, & 10 I have only taken two 100mg doxy in the am and none at night. I'm doing good and my tummy is much, much happier! No more nausea!  I'll update as things go along.
    • Many things can damage the small intestine besides celiac disease: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/ Happily, I can share that I became a Great-Aunt this week for the first time  to a charming little boy. Sadly, my lovely 19 year old niece was diagnosed yesterday with Crohn's.  She had so many symptoms of celiac disease, I was sure she had it.  Actually, I was hoping that she'd have it, because Crohn's can be much worse.  At least there is a "cure" or known trigger for it -- gluten!   Anyway, your daughter might be suffering from something other than celiac disease.  It is possible.  It could be a food intolerance (e.g. milk).  My niece has suffered for years with periodic episodes of abdominal pain, vomiting, etc.  She doesn't have all the "classic" Crohn's Disease symptoms either, yet a recent pill cam revealed a lot!  Her endoscopy was normal.  Celiac panel normal.  Gallbladder scan normal (non-functioning gallbladder is a family curse).  My heart goes out to her, but at least we know what we are dealing with.  Will she ever get celiac disease?  It could happen. Keep advocating, Mom.  That's what I kept telling my SIL.  I also provided my SIL  a family health history tree that each GI was happy to receive.  Unfortunately, no one has had Crohn's in the family.  But, at least it allowed him to test my nieces gallbladder and for celiac disease (a full panel,  mind you).   It would not hurt to get a second opinion.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Red Butt in hemet