6 replies to this topic

#1 EddieJP125

EddieJP125

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:21 PM

My DH is getting worse and i don't have to time to go to DERM. right now. Is there anythign that u guys have been using that has been working on healing and dealing with the itch?
and i know i've been gluten-free for 9 months but been still around on fingers and slowly spreading. Maybe from being a waiter touching gluten all day?
Thanks for the help
Eddie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:34 PM

DH causes skin reactions to gluten as well and I would think being around gluten all day that it may have something to do with your reaction.Are all of your products like shampoos and soaps gluten free? That may be causing a problem if you haven't changed that.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:55 PM

Most scientists who have studied DH and celiac do not believe that simply touching gluten triggers DH. Touching gluten has never triggered my DH, although I'm also not extremely sensitive.

It's more likely that if you're touching gluten all day, you're accidentally getting small amounts into your mouth. I'm sure it's impossible for you to wash your hands every time you touch it.

Some people have reported being soothed somewhat by anti-itch creams or aloe, but the only thing that will heal the sores is being gluten-free or taking dapsone.

richard

#4 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:24 AM

Since you are in and out of the kitchen all day, you may also be taking in some of the gluten just breathing the dust of the flours and spices. I react strongly anytime the stuff gets into my mucous membranes.

I do not use the dapsone, but I take warm baths with Shaklee's Basic H as a bubble bath. I also will add 1 tsp clorox to the water to kill any bacteria in the sores. I keep mine soft and moist using either Clindamycin gel from the dermatologist or a petrocarb gel from Watkins. When I am out of that, I just use Vaseline. Anything to keep them moist and not get that extra itch from the tightness and stretching. I keep Vistaril around for my true allergic reactions. It also seems to help some with the itch so Benedryl might.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#5 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

I have never found an otc product that did anything for my DH. I can't take dapsone either, which stinks because it takes weeks for an accidental gluten outbreak to clear up. All I can do really is to use hand cream to keep the areas from drying out and cracking as they heal. I really like bee propylis cream for this, it seems to work much better than regular lotion.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#6 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

I use gold bond anti itch cream. It keeps my skin moisturized and helps sooth the itch. It does have oatmeal in it but I have never had a bad reaction. Good Luck! Oh, and I have used benedryl at night with good results.

#7 EddieJP125

EddieJP125

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:23 PM

yea ur right i guess it was b/c i was touching Gluten all day...i had to take off a month from work and it was slowly clearing up, then just got back to work to have it itchin and burning and reacting again...well i got 4 months till i go to the Police Academy anyway...= )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: