Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Homemade Ice Cream

7 posts in this topic

I have been experimenting with making homemade ice cream. First few times it tasted good but was to grainy and icy and only two of us would eat it. So on a quest to make a creamier product I used this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cream-no-eggs-93725

Ice Cream (no Eggs)

Ingredients:Servings:

12 12 12Servings Size

1 (14 ounce) can eagle brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)

2 tablespoons vanilla

2 cups half-and-half cream

2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped

Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directions:

1 In a large bowl combine ingredients, mix well.

2 Pour into ice cream freezer container.

3 Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

4 Freeze leftovers.

5 FRUIT ICE CREAM:.

6 Reduce half-n-half to 1 cup.

7 Add 1 cup pureed or mashed fruit (bananas, peaches, strawberries, etc.) and a few drops of food coloring, if desired.

8 Proceed as above.

After some reading I modified the recipe a bit. I decreased the vanilla extract to 1 tablespoon and proceeded with the rest of the recipe as is. Then to get a more creamy, less grainy texture I added in the following to the icecream mix: 1 package unflavored gelatin dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water (I slowly added the gelatin as I was wisking to avoid big clumps) then add this mixture to 1 cup of hot milk (again as I was adding the gelatin mixture I added it slowly as I was wisking). I then added the whole mixture into the original icream mix while the mixer was running with the wisk attachment. Put it in my icream maker and I got lovely icecream. Even after it hardens it scoops out well after it sits a few minutes. From what I understand the gelatin helps the fats distribute more evenly and prevents large ice crystals from forming.

So the possibilities are endless with this recipe. The first time I didn't have half and half so I substituted 1 cup whole milk mixed with 1 tablespoon melted butter for each cup of the half and half. Tonight I made mint chocolate chip by replacing the vanilla in the recipe with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3/4 teaspoon mint extract and adding in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. If I keep this up I'm gonna get fatter. :o:P:lol:

Ads by Google:

I wondered where you've been! :D

I wondered where you've been! :D

I was on vacation in PA the last two weeks of June and had no computer access at all. That wasn't a bad thing though. We all communed with the farm, river and nature. I asked my mom if I could have the ice cream maker she had when I was a teenager. She hardly used it so I brought it home. Been having too much fun experimenting and eating. :D

OMG!! I made homemade cookies and cream icecream and it was fantastic!! I had two happy kids and I was pretty excited to eat it since it has been probably over four years since I had any. I made a regular batch of vanilla and then folded crushed Kinni Too chocolate sandwich cookies in it. I really need to quit experimenting..my thighs are not going to like me later. :P:lol:

What about cookie dough icecream? Have you made that yet? :3

One of my favourites is browned butter vanilla bean ice cream with pralines. Gorgeous! And another is strawberry balsamic.

What about cookie dough icecream? Have you made that yet? :3

That is next on the list. Both boys want me to make it. I never liked it so it will be just for them.