6 replies to this topic

#1 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

I have been experimenting with making homemade ice cream. First few times it tasted good but was to grainy and icy and only two of us would eat it. So on a quest to make a creamier product I used this recipe http://www.food.com/...m-no-eggs-93725

Ice Cream (no Eggs)

Ingredients:Servings:
12 12 12Servings Size

1 (14 ounce) can eagle brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped
Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directions:

1 In a large bowl combine ingredients, mix well.
2 Pour into ice cream freezer container.
3 Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
4 Freeze leftovers.
5 FRUIT ICE CREAM:.
6 Reduce half-n-half to 1 cup.
7 Add 1 cup pureed or mashed fruit (bananas, peaches, strawberries, etc.) and a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
8 Proceed as above.

After some reading I modified the recipe a bit. I decreased the vanilla extract to 1 tablespoon and proceeded with the rest of the recipe as is. Then to get a more creamy, less grainy texture I added in the following to the icecream mix: 1 package unflavored gelatin dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water (I slowly added the gelatin as I was wisking to avoid big clumps) then add this mixture to 1 cup of hot milk (again as I was adding the gelatin mixture I added it slowly as I was wisking). I then added the whole mixture into the original icream mix while the mixer was running with the wisk attachment. Put it in my icream maker and I got lovely icecream. Even after it hardens it scoops out well after it sits a few minutes. From what I understand the gelatin helps the fats distribute more evenly and prevents large ice crystals from forming.

So the possibilities are endless with this recipe. The first time I didn't have half and half so I substituted 1 cup whole milk mixed with 1 tablespoon melted butter for each cup of the half and half. Tonight I made mint chocolate chip by replacing the vanilla in the recipe with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3/4 teaspoon mint extract and adding in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. If I keep this up I'm gonna get fatter. :o :P :lol:

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,044 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

I wondered where you've been! :D

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

I wondered where you've been! :D

I was on vacation in PA the last two weeks of June and had no computer access at all. That wasn't a bad thing though. We all communed with the farm, river and nature. I asked my mom if I could have the ice cream maker she had when I was a teenager. She hardly used it so I brought it home. Been having too much fun experimenting and eating. :D

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

OMG!! I made homemade cookies and cream icecream and it was fantastic!! I had two happy kids and I was pretty excited to eat it since it has been probably over four years since I had any. I made a regular batch of vanilla and then folded crushed Kinni Too chocolate sandwich cookies in it. I really need to quit experimenting..my thighs are not going to like me later. :P :lol:

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

What about cookie dough icecream? Have you made that yet? :3

#6 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

One of my favourites is browned butter vanilla bean ice cream with pralines. Gorgeous! And another is strawberry balsamic.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:13 AM

What about cookie dough icecream? Have you made that yet? :3

That is next on the list. Both boys want me to make it. I never liked it so it will be just for them.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: