8 replies to this topic

#1 brbangl3

brbangl3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Hello! My apologies in advance if I am posting this under the wrong category... I just joined this message board today after receiving some concerning lab results from my doctor's office regarding my self-requested Celiac panel. (Sadly, I received these lab results without an appointment with my doctor to discuss them.) I am seeking some insight and feedback on the results, as I am currently in a panic state thinking the worst possible outcome until I can discuss it with my doctor during my follow-up appointment next week.

A brief background: I am 30 y/o and have been treated for Hashimoto's hypothyroidism since my early 20's. Just a few weeks ago, after years of never feeling quite "optimized" with my thyroid, I decided to investigate beyond thyroid dysfunction for the source of some longstanding ailmentsónamely chronic fatigue, depression, migraines, G.I. disturbances (mainly constipation) and weight loss/muscle wasting. I did some research on gluten intolerance/Celiac Disease and approached my doctor with a list of tests for determining the presence of Celiac Disease, along with any other vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Fast-forward to the results:

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA: 114 units (Moderate to Strong Positive >30)
Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG: 3 units (Negative: 0-19)
t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA: <1 U/mL (Negative: 0-3)
t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG: <1 U/mL (Negative: 0-5)
Endomysial Antibody IgA: Negative
Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum: 247 mg/dL (Range: 70-400)

I posted these results on another message board, and also had a phone conversation with a doctor-friend of mineóboth eased my mind a bit by explaining that because there is only one positive among the six tests, it is highly unlikely I have Celiac Disease. In addition, when I asked my friend about the "strong positive" Deamidated Gliadin IgA, he said it is possible that my Hashimoto's antibodies contributed to the result. However, I still have some concerns about it... Even if it's not full-blown Celiac Disease, I would like to know the relevance of the results. Do they still indicate gluten sensitivity? Should I still have an endoscopy?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 brbangl3

brbangl3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Does anyone have any advice on these results and/or how to proceed? I'm finding limited info online and going slightly crazy as a result.

Thanks!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

The Deamidated Gliadin Abs is the newest and best test for celiac. With your results being as high as they are it is pretty likely, from what I understand, that you are in the right place. This is not as bad a news as you might think as the diet will likely relieve a lot of the issues you are having. The diet can be a bit daunting at first but it is very doable. If you are going to choose to have an endoscopsy with biopsies do not go gluten free quite yet, wait until the day of the endo. Do realize there are pretty high rates of false negatives both with the biopsies and the blood tests so when all testing you choose to do is done then do the diet strictly. Chances are you will be feeling much better before long.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I posted these results on another message board, and also had a phone conversation with a doctor-friend of mineóboth eased my mind a bit by explaining that because there is only one positive among the six tests, it is highly unlikely I have Celiac Disease. In addition, when I asked my friend about the "strong positive" Deamidated Gliadin IgA, he said it is possible that my Hashimoto's antibodies contributed to the result. However, I still have some concerns about it... Even if it's not full-blown Celiac Disease, I would like to know the relevance of the results. Do they still indicate gluten sensitivity? Should I still have an endoscopy?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, brband13, welcome to the forum!

Your doctor friend has one thing correct. From my journeys around to different laboratory websites, it is possible (and I stress possible that your Deaminated IgA is affected by Hashimoto's antibodies. Did your doc test those? If you've been treated for Hashi's for any length of time you might not HAVE Hashi antibodies to mess with the gliadin tests.

He is probably not so good on saying that you shouldn't worry that you have celiac. Celiac and Hashimoto's are very common companions, and it is really a good idea for Hashi's patients to be gluten free even without a celiac diagnosis. Celiac can contribute (not always!) to an increase of organ specific antibodies like anti-thyroid.

Take comfort though, a celiac diagnosis is not as fearful as some things might be! Careful attention to diet is the treatment, and once you get used to the few things you CAN'T have, you'll realize there is a whole world of yummy things that you CAN!

And, once the doc is done testing (he might want to do a biopsy on the upper end of your small intestine) you can give up gluten without a prescription and see if it helps you feel better. Give it a good go, 3 months at least. Though many have dramatic results very quickly.

Best,

beachbirdie
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#5 sue1234

sue1234

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

I'm in the same exact boat as you. I have normal or negative everything, EXCEPT my deam. anti-gliadin at 45.4(0-10). Mine is really high also, but was told I didn't have celiac. I'm not too sure. What other reason would make that so high?

#6 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

The blood tests don't always tell the true story. Mine came back in the normal range, but the Dr scheduled an endoscope/with biopsy anyway. The scope is the "gold standard" of testing, if you have been eating gluten. Mine came back very definitely positive with severe damage evident.
Don't just rely on the blood work..push for more answers.

#7 sue1234

sue1234

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:22 AM

In my case, I had the biopsies and they were negative. So, I am left to wonder what the high anti-gliadin means.

#8 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

now it looks like the deaminated gliadin test can pick up early celiac, or patchy celiac.
The old ttg test is not so good at picking up patchy celiac.

The newest endoscopy method is the pill cam, and it finds patchy celiac, while the old-fashioned biopsy method easily can miss the patches.

(the most common form of celiac is patchy celiac)
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#9 brbangl3

brbangl3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thanks to all for your invaluable and supportive replies! I have been eating gluten-free per doctor's order since July, when I started this thread with the results of my Celiac panel. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my overall health, much to my disappointment; and, when I do slip and eat gluten, I don't report any adverse reactions besides maybe some fatigue.

I received my follow-up Celiac panel lab results today, which show similar readings to the ones from May:
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Antibody, IgA: 35.0 (Reference Range: < 6.1)
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Antibody, IgG: 0.6 (< 4.9)
Anti-human Tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 0.3 (< 10.3)
Anti-Endomysial IgA IFA: Negative
Total Serum IgA: 208 mg/dL (Range: 44-441)

I'm still curious to know what all this means, and how to proceed. The doctor who performed this follow-up Celiac panel is not the same one who performed the initial one back in May. And, whereas my first doctor (in May) did not diagnose Celiac Disease following my results, my new doctor who performed and interpreted these new results immediately diagnosed me with Celiac Disease. Who to believe?

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: