19 replies to this topic

#16 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'm super sensitive too. I was reading through this thread and thought about the food fights we used to have as teens. We're in full tilt food war now. :ph34r:

I gave up on Chex about six months ago, and I've gradually given up on most grains and proceesed foods. I'll have rice about once a week. I rinse it well and inspect in, then cook it.

I love crispy fried Hormel Corned Beef Hash with a fried egg on the weekend, but I can't eat the yolk. Most days my breakfast is fruit salad or a piece of fruit or a smoothie.

I ordered some almond flour from nuts on line because the other flours weren't agreeing with me. I'm looking forward to experimenting with that.

Good luck with the food wars, everyone. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

My understanding with processed foods... and correct me if I'm wrong... but gluten free only means tested down to 20 parts per million or lower, doesn't it? So not really free of gluten in the strictest sense of the word. I think my tolerance is simply lower than that, and of course everyone's is different as has been said.

That's just how I see it. (And also my GI).

#18 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

I need to buy my gluten free grains whole and very carefully sourced and then sort and wash. I often find gluten grains mixed in. I can't imagine any gluten free cereal maker is going to go to all that trouble. It doesn't make a difference if the facility is dedicated or not if the grain is contaminated before it gets there.

+1 to this - do companies even bother to test their "naturally gluten free" products, especially if they're made in a gluten-free facility? Why bother if there's "no risk of contamination". Add to that the below 20ppm rule, and it's makes for some very confused sensitive celiacs :/ I can't eat any of the sorghum flour brands, tried everything I could get my hands on, every time a distinct gluten reaction. So I pretty much can't trust anything with sorghum flour either...

I can eat certain Nature's Path cereals (The eco-friendly, support endangered animals line of cereals), but only the very plain ones without soy added to them.
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#19 rchase

rchase

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

I have severe neurological and immune reactions to wheat, but I'm not allergic, I have a rarer form of celiacs and MCS which did not pass the genetic test, which still does affect any tissue with inflammation. I also have a similar reaction to a variety of foods. Consider that celiacs may just be the first in a long line of immune sensitive food diseases, celiacs is just the worst I think. I know because I can differentiate 15 foods, oils, and spices as hazardous to my immune system on top of my 'celiacs.' I basically go blind temporarily now. I even sneeze upon entering a bakery because of my multiple chemical sensitivity and wheat sensitivities. Basically my crazy allergies and food sensitivies and chemical sensitivity have made me just super sensitive.
Good news is once I avoid all that stuff, I can feel just dandy for a time.
Currently wondering if I ate a bread crumb off the household butter. Blood pressure up, feel like puking.

#20 padma

padma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

I have severe neurological and immune reactions to wheat, but I'm not allergic, I have a rarer form of celiacs and MCS which did not pass the genetic test, which still does affect any tissue with inflammation. I also have a similar reaction to a variety of foods. Consider that celiacs may just be the first in a long line of immune sensitive food diseases, celiacs is just the worst I think. I know because I can differentiate 15 foods, oils, and spices as hazardous to my immune system on top of my 'celiacs.' I basically go blind temporarily now. I even sneeze upon entering a bakery because of my multiple chemical sensitivity and wheat sensitivities. Basically my crazy allergies and food sensitivies and chemical sensitivity have made me just super sensitive.
Good news is once I avoid all that stuff, I can feel just dandy for a time.
Currently wondering if I ate a bread crumb off the household butter. Blood pressure up, feel like puking.

Hi. Sorry you are feeling so punk. You can get excellent info on MCS from TheCanaryReport.com Lots of good threads there.
I don't go in bakeries any more. Too much wheat dust in the air.
Our sensitivity to gluten is a different mechanism than the MCS, which is triggered by a nitric oxide irregularity. Dr. Martin Pall has studied this and a number of doctors are studying Dr. Pall's work.

I have quit eating any "community" food. Quit eating most gluten-free foods and anything prepared in a factory that processes gluten.

Hope you feel better soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: