Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

When You First Went Gluten Free, Did You Lose Weight?

58 posts in this topic

I notice I've still been losing weight and am wondering if when you went gluten free if you lost weight?

I would guess it's from not eating empty calories from breads, bars, cakes etc.

If you lost, how much did you lose? How long before it started normalizing?

Paula

Ads by Google:

I lost weight after I switched to a gluten-free diet. My doctor was pretty upset with me but I wrote it off that I was now eating all whole foods and basically no carbs (except for occasional rice and corn chips). He did have me start tracking calories though and I figured out that while I was full I was not consuming as much as I should be but it has now stabilized. In all, I lost 15 lbs since starting the diet (5-10 was ok by me!) and I stopped dropping after 2-3 months.

Did you start losing weight immediately?

It took me about 3 months to stop losing too and I lost about 40 lbs, my weight has pretty much stabilized in the last month. That may be because I mostly lived on pasta and crackers before because I thought bland food would be good for my belly :lol:

I lost 20 lbs my first month. I had it to lose however, as gluten makes me gain weight instead of wasting away. My weightloss stopped when I added carbs back into my diet (I had cut out all grains and all sugar as part of my elimation diet).

I have always been overweight and couldn't lose it no matter what I did. When I went gluten free it wasn't to lose weight but get rid of all the other problems I had. D, migraines, tingling, depression, stomach pain, anxiety, etc.

Losing weight was a shock. I went from 235 to 160 and it has stabilized. That's 75 pounds and I wasn't even trying. Took almost 2 years. But that's because I realized I was super sensitive. Can't really eat any of the gluten free processed foods. I have to stay with mainly whole foods. Plus finding out I have other food intolerances might have helped to.

I lost about 10lbs in the first few months, but gained about half of it back once I started to figure out everything I could eat.

Like others mentioned, I started out overweight. I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did. Once I went gluten free I still ate the same # of calories (I'd been tracking for a while and continued when I went gluten-free), but the weight started dropping off. Quickly at first, then slower. I'm 17 months in and have lost 55 pounds. I went from a size 16 to a size 6. I'm at a great weight now. My body was hanging on to every calorie I ate because the Celiac damage had left me malnourished. Now that I can absorb nutrients I'm so much healthier. Who would have ever guessed I was fat due to malnourishment?! :P

I notice I've still been losing weight and am wondering if when you went gluten free if you lost weight?

I would guess it's from not eating empty calories from breads, bars, cakes etc.

If you lost, how much did you lose? How long before it started normalizing?

Paula

I lost weight as soon as I eliminated Gluten. I figured it was because I was eating more regularly. I lost 10lbs in the first month and have kept it off.

I did read somewhere that some people lose wt. and some gain wt. I'm glad I'm on the 'losing side'

I've lost about 30 lbs. (which I had to lose) over the course of a year. I think this is mostly attributable in my case to no beer and no fast food anymore. Cooking non-processed foods and making my own healthy meals has mostly been the culprate of my loss.

since being off dairy and gluten I have lost 40 lbs. I still want to (need to) lose about 50 lbs. right now my weight has bee at a standstill...I hope the weight loss will kick in again.

I thought I might but gee, I found enough really good gluten-free food that I haven't. B)

i lost 25ish before i started and am still loosing weight and not even trying :/

When I first went gluten-free (prior to my gluten challenge) I gained weight as I was in panic mode and ate weird processed things I normally would not such as potato chips. Then I went back on gluten for my challenge and after my celiac diagnosis in February have lost a few pounds but need to lose more. I do not eat processed junk and must work hard to lose weight. I guess it does not help that I love to bake! In fact, I bake more now than I ever did before (and I have always loved baking). Must put a stop to this madness. :lol:

About six months after I was diagnosed (Nov. 2006) I had lost fifteen pounds. Now that my diet is more varied, I've probably gained about five of those back and stabilized there.

I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks and then stabilized at 129. After years and years of my weight swinging wildly between 125 and 150 it hasn't budged in 3 months now.

Yes, I lost weight after being diagnosed last year. Anyway, I'm down about 20 and still losing gradually, which is great because I have it to spare and am very happy to lose a healthy pound or two a week. Back when I was still having gluten and unaware of the whole celiac thing, I think the biggest thing that brought on my weight gain was that I would get nauseous if I got hungry. The hungrier I was, the more nauseous I was, to the point of getting sick to my stomach. Needless to say, I didn't let myself get hungry if I could help it. And for some reason, that made me gain weight. ;)

Losing weight without trying was the first symptom my PCP took as real. I had lost 20 lbs. in just a few months.

I was diagnosed on June 28th of this year and have been trying to eat things that are healthy. I'm still losing weight. I didn't know if was due to malabsorption..or lack of breads/cookies/ etc. in my diet? I mostly eat fruits and veggies, and meat, some rice.

I always think I lost more than I did (keep messing up my actual weight with how much I lost, LOL), but looking to make sure I'm not screwing up...

I lost 50 pounds in the first 6 months (I was about 50 pounds overweight, though). Over the next few months, it fluctuated between about 5 pounds, up or down, and then finally dropped another 10 pounds within 5 months.

Since then, we think we've figured out the pattern. If I get glutened frequently, my weight starts to climb, no matter what I eat or how many calories. If I don't eat gluten, my weight drops rapidly into 'woo hoo skinny!' and stabilizes there. But if I eat any of the foods we realized I am allergic to, then my weight keeps dropping (lots of D) and the weight doesn't stabilize.

I got too skinny, really, until we figured everything out. I've gained a little from my lowest weight, at this point. :-)

Who would have ever guessed I was fat due to malnourishment?! :P

I feel the same way! I never would have guessed (nor would anyone else) that I was malnourished!

I re-started Weight Watchers in Jan and from then till my dx in June I lost 7 lbs. When I got dx, I dropped 6 lbs in 3 weeks. I think I've put some on in the last couple of weeks but that's cause I spent some time eating gluten-free junk! I'm starting back today using WW simply filling plan. It consists of "power foods" which are fruits, veggies, lean meats, fat free milk, etc.

3 weeks in and down 7 pounds without even trying. My appetite has stabilized; before going gluten-free I always felt this weird mix of bloating/nausea/hunger all the time. I still need to lose a few pounds too--so I'm happy about the weight loss. =)

I had lost a lot of weight before going gluten-free. I didn't lose anymore once I went gluten-free. I started to gain 3 months gluten-free and now have gained 10 pounds. I needed to gain some of it back, but now trying to stable my weight. I don't eat a lot of gluten-free replacement foods or junk. I believe in treats every now and then :)

Unfortunately I have lost about 5 lbs which is alot being as I am already about 10lbs underweight. I want to gain some weight. I feel I am wasting away because so many foods cause me pain. It's ironic because I am a recovering anorexic and when I was mentally sick, I didn't want to eat over fear of gaining-----now it's not my mental state, but my physical state. Ain't life one giant irony!!!

Didn't lose a pound! But I was a bit overweight before and still am although weight watchers is now helping with that.

I gained 10 lbs in the first two months (and wasn't trying to gain or lose) Now after 4 months gluten-free we are back to normal again.