Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

When You First Went Gluten Free, Did You Lose Weight?

• Please log in to reply

57 replies to this topic

#1 Prezwilson15

Prezwilson15

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

I notice I've still been losing weight and am wondering if when you went gluten free if you lost weight?

I would guess it's from not eating empty calories from breads, bars, cakes etc.

If you lost, how much did you lose? How long before it started normalizing?

Paula

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rachbomb

rachbomb

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

I lost weight after I switched to a gluten-free diet. My doctor was pretty upset with me but I wrote it off that I was now eating all whole foods and basically no carbs (except for occasional rice and corn chips). He did have me start tracking calories though and I figured out that while I was full I was not consuming as much as I should be but it has now stabilized. In all, I lost 15 lbs since starting the diet (5-10 was ok by me!) and I stopped dropping after 2-3 months.

#3 sleer

sleer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

Did you start losing weight immediately?

#4 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

It took me about 3 months to stop losing too and I lost about 40 lbs, my weight has pretty much stabilized in the last month. That may be because I mostly lived on pasta and crackers before because I thought bland food would be good for my belly :lol:

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

I lost 20 lbs my first month. I had it to lose however, as gluten makes me gain weight instead of wasting away. My weightloss stopped when I added carbs back into my diet (I had cut out all grains and all sugar as part of my elimation diet).
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:33 AM

I have always been overweight and couldn't lose it no matter what I did. When I went gluten free it wasn't to lose weight but get rid of all the other problems I had. D, migraines, tingling, depression, stomach pain, anxiety, etc.
Losing weight was a shock. I went from 235 to 160 and it has stabilized. That's 75 pounds and I wasn't even trying. Took almost 2 years. But that's because I realized I was super sensitive. Can't really eat any of the gluten free processed foods. I have to stay with mainly whole foods. Plus finding out I have other food intolerances might have helped to.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#7 Gfreeatx

Gfreeatx

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

I lost about 10lbs in the first few months, but gained about half of it back once I started to figure out everything I could eat.

#8 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Like others mentioned, I started out overweight. I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did. Once I went gluten free I still ate the same # of calories (I'd been tracking for a while and continued when I went gluten-free), but the weight started dropping off. Quickly at first, then slower. I'm 17 months in and have lost 55 pounds. I went from a size 16 to a size 6. I'm at a great weight now. My body was hanging on to every calorie I ate because the Celiac damage had left me malnourished. Now that I can absorb nutrients I'm so much healthier. Who would have ever guessed I was fat due to malnourishment?! :P
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#9 stellinpa

stellinpa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

I notice I've still been losing weight and am wondering if when you went gluten free if you lost weight?

I would guess it's from not eating empty calories from breads, bars, cakes etc.

If you lost, how much did you lose? How long before it started normalizing?

Paula

I lost weight as soon as I eliminated Gluten. I figured it was because I was eating more regularly. I lost 10lbs in the first month and have kept it off.

I did read somewhere that some people lose wt. and some gain wt. I'm glad I'm on the 'losing side'
Life without horse? I don't think so!

Gluten Free since Jan. 2011. Not diagnosed, got tired of going to Drs and tried it on my own.

#10 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

I've lost about 30 lbs. (which I had to lose) over the course of a year. I think this is mostly attributable in my case to no beer and no fast food anymore. Cooking non-processed foods and making my own healthy meals has mostly been the culprate of my loss.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#11 jemms

jemms

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

since being off dairy and gluten I have lost 40 lbs. I still want to (need to) lose about 50 lbs. right now my weight has bee at a standstill...I hope the weight loss will kick in again.
Dairy/Casein Intolerant March 2011
Gluten Intolerant March 2011

Endo done May 2011~Negative but Doc said I "very likely" still have Celiac's

#12 angel9165

angel9165

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

I thought I might but gee, I found enough really good gluten-free food that I haven't. B)
Diagnosed w/ Celiac disease on Sept 1st, 2010

#13 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

i lost 25ish before i started and am still loosing weight and not even trying :/

#14 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

When I first went gluten-free (prior to my gluten challenge) I gained weight as I was in panic mode and ate weird processed things I normally would not such as potato chips. Then I went back on gluten for my challenge and after my celiac diagnosis in February have lost a few pounds but need to lose more. I do not eat processed junk and must work hard to lose weight. I guess it does not help that I love to bake! In fact, I bake more now than I ever did before (and I have always loved baking). Must put a stop to this madness. :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#15 BaldurBen

BaldurBen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

About six months after I was diagnosed (Nov. 2006) I had lost fifteen pounds. Now that my diet is more varied, I've probably gained about five of those back and stabilized there.
Baldur - gluten free since Nov. 2006.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: