Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

When You First Went Gluten Free, Did You Lose Weight?

• Please log in to reply

57 replies to this topic

#16 Poppi

Poppi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks and then stabilized at 129. After years and years of my weight swinging wildly between 125 and 150 it hasn't budged in 3 months now.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 deinanthe

deinanthe

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Yes, I lost weight after being diagnosed last year. Anyway, I'm down about 20 and still losing gradually, which is great because I have it to spare and am very happy to lose a healthy pound or two a week. Back when I was still having gluten and unaware of the whole celiac thing, I think the biggest thing that brought on my weight gain was that I would get nauseous if I got hungry. The hungrier I was, the more nauseous I was, to the point of getting sick to my stomach. Needless to say, I didn't let myself get hungry if I could help it. And for some reason, that made me gain weight. ;)

#18 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Losing weight without trying was the first symptom my PCP took as real. I had lost 20 lbs. in just a few months.
I was diagnosed on June 28th of this year and have been trying to eat things that are healthy. I'm still losing weight. I didn't know if was due to malabsorption..or lack of breads/cookies/ etc. in my diet? I mostly eat fruits and veggies, and meat, some rice.

#19 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

I always think I lost more than I did (keep messing up my actual weight with how much I lost, LOL), but looking to make sure I'm not screwing up...

I lost 50 pounds in the first 6 months (I was about 50 pounds overweight, though). Over the next few months, it fluctuated between about 5 pounds, up or down, and then finally dropped another 10 pounds within 5 months.

Since then, we think we've figured out the pattern. If I get glutened frequently, my weight starts to climb, no matter what I eat or how many calories. If I don't eat gluten, my weight drops rapidly into 'woo hoo skinny!' and stabilizes there. But if I eat any of the foods we realized I am allergic to, then my weight keeps dropping (lots of D) and the weight doesn't stabilize.

I got too skinny, really, until we figured everything out. I've gained a little from my lowest weight, at this point. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#20 mamabear272

mamabear272

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Who would have ever guessed I was fat due to malnourishment?! :P

I feel the same way! I never would have guessed (nor would anyone else) that I was malnourished!

I re-started Weight Watchers in Jan and from then till my dx in June I lost 7 lbs. When I got dx, I dropped 6 lbs in 3 weeks. I think I've put some on in the last couple of weeks but that's cause I spent some time eating gluten-free junk! I'm starting back today using WW simply filling plan. It consists of "power foods" which are fruits, veggies, lean meats, fat free milk, etc.
Molly
dx: celiac sprue 6/7/2011 via blood test and biopsy
gluten-free: 6/7/2011

#21 Brooksbelle

Brooksbelle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

3 weeks in and down 7 pounds without even trying. My appetite has stabilized; before going gluten-free I always felt this weird mix of bloating/nausea/hunger all the time. I still need to lose a few pounds too--so I'm happy about the weight loss. =)
Gluten-free since 6/26/11
Undiagnosed for 14 years
Currently also Lactose and Soy intolerant
Vegetarian

#22 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

I had lost a lot of weight before going gluten-free. I didn't lose anymore once I went gluten-free. I started to gain 3 months gluten-free and now have gained 10 pounds. I needed to gain some of it back, but now trying to stable my weight. I don't eat a lot of gluten-free replacement foods or junk. I believe in treats every now and then :)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#23 AmyE

AmyE

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Unfortunately I have lost about 5 lbs which is alot being as I am already about 10lbs underweight. I want to gain some weight. I feel I am wasting away because so many foods cause me pain. It's ironic because I am a recovering anorexic and when I was mentally sick, I didn't want to eat over fear of gaining-----now it's not my mental state, but my physical state. Ain't life one giant irony!!!

#24 okieinalaska

okieinalaska

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

Didn't lose a pound! But I was a bit overweight before and still am although weight watchers is now helping with that.
Amy in Alaska
Gluten Hit Girl

#25 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

I gained 10 lbs in the first two months (and wasn't trying to gain or lose) Now after 4 months gluten-free we are back to normal again.

#26 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

On the contrary! I was diagnosed w/in 2 months of symptoms so there was no unexplained weight loss for me. And after I was diagnosed, I was so upset at all the food I could no longer have... I OD'd on all the foods (translate carbs) I could have and gained 40 lbs. in the first year!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#27 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

I actually gained about 25 pounds. But they were 25 good (muscle) pounds. For years, my body was robbed of its ability to absorb the lean protein that I was consuming. That also goes for the multiple protein shakes that I was drinking.

While gaining those pounds I also was able to decrease my body fat percentage (hovers right around single digit these days).

I will admit, when the doctor first told me that I had Celiac and attached the word "disease" to it, my heart nearly stopped. But today, I feel blessed to live a gluten free lifestyle. I do NOT miss those empty wheat carbs at ALL. :)
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#28 mamabear272

mamabear272

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

I will admit, when the doctor first told me that I had Celiac and attached the word "disease" to it, my heart nearly stopped. But today, I feel blessed to live a gluten free lifestyle. I do NOT miss those empty wheat carbs at ALL. :)

I was the same way! I was pretty freaked at first but now I embrace it. I pride myself on making gluten recipes gluten-free. It's like a game for me. And the fact that I feel so much better is amazing!
Molly
dx: celiac sprue 6/7/2011 via blood test and biopsy
gluten-free: 6/7/2011

#29 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

I was the same way! I was pretty freaked at first but now I embrace it. I pride myself on making gluten recipes gluten-free. It's like a game for me. And the fact that I feel so much better is amazing!

I told a woman at the gym this morning that I had Celiac Disease. She said "oh... I'm SO sorry".

My reply "Don't be sorry for me, it's been nothing but smooth flying AND body building".
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#30 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

I lost in the neighborhood of 35 pounds in the first two months gluten free. It was scaring my wife but I felt so much better. I was weak and skinny fat. I looked like a typical "healthy" American middle aged male before being diagnosed but I knew how weak I had become. It didn't help that I had rheumatoid arthritis as an excuse for my immobility, etc. I lost so much body fat that it revealed just what muscle mass I had left. Bottomed out in the low 130's. I was able to workout more and more as I healed and started to absorb nutrients. Contrary to what many contend here, I consume plenty of fats, including whole fat raw dairy and plenty of raw eggs. I am up to a very lean 150 pounds now and have never been stronger. The thing I noticed once I started adding fats like coconut oil and fatty meats was that I feel much younger uh.. shall we say.. hormonally. I eat a very low carb diet with a few servings of fresh fruit and a select group of non nightshade veggies and greens (turnip, mustard, collard.) I eat good sized meals every day and am finally not starving all the day long like I was at first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: