Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

When You First Went Gluten Free, Did You Lose Weight?

• Please log in to reply

57 replies to this topic

#31 mamabear272

mamabear272

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Good for you GlutenGladi8tor!
Molly
dx: celiac sprue 6/7/2011 via blood test and biopsy
gluten-free: 6/7/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

I actually stayed about the same after going gluten-free at first but did gain some lbs after a while. But my appetite changed a lot and I found I was staying at basically the same weight but eating much less food after going gluten-free. I just wasn't as hungry all the time like I Was before. I could stand to lose a few pounds now, but I never had a weight problem at all before gluten-free. I guess I Wasn't absorbing a whole lot of the nutrients I Was eating. I was kind of thin my whole life but always ate plenty of food, more than my brothers who were heavier than me. Except for my youngest brother who had Crohn's, he was even skinnier than me. Both my remaining brothers are fairly heavy now though. They are big boys. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#33 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

I didn't just go gluten-free - we did GAPS. I lost 20 lbs almost immediately, then stabilized. I was around 145 at 5'6 and went down to about 125. I was concerned because if I got any smaller I'd be too thin, but it seems my body was just finding a new normal. This is actually the size I was before I had kids (about 13 years ago!)
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#34 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

I Wasn't absorbing a whole lot of the nutrients I Was eating.

That's the beauty of being diagnosed... your body absorbs the protein and nutrient that has been lacking. If you're trying to gain muscle and just newly diagnosed, prepare for take off!

"Houston... we DON'T have a problem!"
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#35 zentex

zentex

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

Three months into the gluten-free lifestyle...I have not gained nor lost a pound. In the year before I went gluten-free, I had a lot of stomach troubles and gained about 30lbs--mostly because I didn't feel good and quit exercising. I also turned to comfort foods.

As soon as I feel comfortable with the diet (and this heat wave breaks); I'll look into resuming my active lifestyle

#36 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

This is so interesting. I have been gluten free for 1 month now and the nutritionist told me to be careful because I will probably gain weight due to absorbing more of the food I am eating. All I know is I used to run religiously and even completed 2 half marathons and was around 195-200 pounds which is very heavy for a runner since I am only 5'10. After I got a bad sinus infection in January the symptoms I always had magnified and I felt horrible all the time and didn't exercise at all. Everything I ate seemed to floor me and my weight dropped from 204 to 188 with no effort of my own. Now after being gluten free for 1 month, I feel great and my weight has gone from 188 to 179. First time since college in the 170's. I started exercising again which could explain some of that. I think it is interesting that so many people lose weight when I was told not to be surprised if I started gaining weight. 25 pounds since the first of the year, not bad considering I haven't made a conscience effort to lose.

#37 Junior Chef

Junior Chef

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

I've been gluten free for 6 months and I've lost 20 pounds, without exercising! So far I'm not gaining any back, either.

#38 Rocketlegs

Rocketlegs

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I couldn't lose weight no matter what I tried before, but since juicing and eating fruits/vegetables/meat/rice I've been losing 1 pound a day. I was 5'5" and 260 when I started so I have fat to lose. I'm going this to feel better though!

#39 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

This is so interesting. I have been gluten free for 1 month now and the nutritionist told me to be careful because I will probably gain weight due to absorbing more of the food I am eating. All I know is I used to run religiously and even completed 2 half marathons and was around 195-200 pounds which is very heavy for a runner since I am only 5'10. After I got a bad sinus infection in January the symptoms I always had magnified and I felt horrible all the time and didn't exercise at all. Everything I ate seemed to floor me and my weight dropped from 204 to 188 with no effort of my own. Now after being gluten free for 1 month, I feel great and my weight has gone from 188 to 179. First time since college in the 170's. I started exercising again which could explain some of that. I think it is interesting that so many people lose weight when I was told not to be surprised if I started gaining weight. 25 pounds since the first of the year, not bad considering I haven't made a conscience effort to lose.

Just for the heck of it, you should go to a gym (or somewhere) and see if you can get your body fat tested. I wouldn't be surprise (and your shouldn't either) if you are dramatically decreasing you body fat percentage.
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#40 Guest_Cassie Getty_*

Guest_Cassie Getty_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

Yes I did! With the help of exercise and discipline. Along with the weight, I also noticed that I haven't had migraine attack for quite a long time. I use to wake up feeling dizzy and light headed but not anymore since I started with my gluten free diet. :)

#41 caligirl2001

caligirl2001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

Yes, I lost weight. I dropped 50 lbs over the course of the first year or so. The weight loss stabilized on it's own. I just stopped losing once I reached a certain weight, even though I didn't make any further changes. I've maintained for almost 2 years now. I've seen a few other comments on here from people who said that they couldn't lose weight prior to eliminating gluten and I fall into that category as well. Once gluten was eliminated, the weight seemed to fall off on it's own until my body reached a weight that it was comfortable with. My appetite also regulated itself.
Positive response to elimination diet November 2008
Gluten free since November 2008
Dairy free since March 2011

#42 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

So I thought that my weight stabilized after losing 30 lbs in 3 months, but I started losing again and at 6 months have now lost 70 lbs and I'm still losing some.

#43 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

I haven't weighed...but I starting dropping immediately (I was also moving so very active). then I hit the gluten-free processed foods and was stationary. Now I'm losing again, don't have s scale but when I hit a new clothes size I'll know for sure.

I have a lot of personal training appts. Left at LA Fitness - I'm going to try to use them soon since the DH is disappearing and I can stand to get sweaty again.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#44 glutengirl42

glutengirl42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

I went Gluten Free about 3 months ago and I have gained weight. I constantly feel hungry. I've heard that many have lost weight. I'm hoping that I get this under control and lose weight as well. Hang in there. That's all we can do.

#45 GlutenDude

GlutenDude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

I made the mistake after my diagnosis of buying a lot of gluten free processed foods, because it was easy and I was so overwhelmed. I ended up gaining about 10 pounds the first year. It was only when I thought "healthy" instead of "gluten free" (and of course consistent exercise) that the weight started coming off. I've been gluten free five years now, I'm 46 and feel in the best shape of my life. Celiac does have its assets :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: