Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

When You First Went Gluten Free, Did You Lose Weight?

• Please log in to reply

57 replies to this topic

#46 glutengirl42

glutengirl42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

You are totally right gluten dude. Lots of gluten free pre-made foods are very high in sugar, carbs and fake additives to make up for the taste and lack of gluten. I'm starting the specific carbohydrate diet Oct 17th.. I'm sure I'll lose weight and feel even better on that.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Tracy&Lyss

Tracy&Lyss

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

I was hoping that would be the case for me...but unfortunately I have not lost an ounce...gained about 4 pounds though. I am not 100% sure I am totally gluten-free though, I have to wait for my next blood test, since I have no symtoms!!

#48 granolagal

granolagal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

I was only diagnosed 6 days ago, and have been gluten-free for...6 days! :P As soon as I was diagnosed I've had SEVERAL people tell me "this will be good for you - you'll gain weight!". Problem is...I'm terrified of gaining weight. Right now my BMI is 19.6, and I have actually gained 8 pounds over the summer because I got so sick I wasn't able to work out anymore. So right now I'm at the maximum weight I would want to be. I really really really hope I don't gain....

#49 meinelse

meinelse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

Went gluten-free in July and have dropped nearly 20 lbs--before that I had been steadily gaining weight because I was so sick and wasn't active at all. I think I have gained muscle mass as well because I'm able to do yoga again and move around a bit. I am worried about falling underweight now though--I'm always starving, and I can't eat much because I have hypo and a nightshade intolerance, too. Pretty limiting. I think the weight loss is partially just from those restrictions, I can't just grab a snack off the shelf or drive through McDonald's. But I've wondered whether it is also related to some other changes in my body (absorption, reduced swelling, etc). The reduction in abdominal swelling was the first thing I noticed, I dropped a full pant size in a very short period of time, but I'm also losing weight and dropped almost another full pant size since then. I feel like a skeleton!

#50 K-Lea

K-Lea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

I haven't eaten gluten/wheat for 6 weeks now. I dropped 8 lbs. before I went gluten free because I was sick. The sickness is what prompted me to go gluten free. I expected to gain the 8 lbs. back once I was no longer sick, but the sickness stayed away and so did the pounds. It is my best guess that I would have lost them on the gluten free diet had I not lost them due to sickness first. I am glad to lose those pounds because I had gained them in the past year. That being said, I don't have many other extra pounds to lose (maybe 5 or so). If I lose more than that I will be concerned.

#51 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'm 6' tall and was 185 lbs. when I was still "healthy". Lost 35 lbs. on the South Beach Diet. Started eating gluten again, weight fluctuated. Got sick as a dog, went down to 142 lbs. I've been gluten-free since 4/10 and weigh 140 lbs, size six.

I don't eat many processed gluten-free foods, but I do enjoy Chebe. My gastro wants me at 150 lbs, I'm not too concerned about it. I just try to focus on eating what keeps me from being ill.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#52 dandt

dandt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

I lost a little weight but not heaps. I was losing weight until I started eating alot of rice and pre-packaged gluten free foods. Almost a year after I went gluten-free I'm starting to lose weight, but more because I'm not snacking AT all and going back to basics with jsut salads and stuff. I wasn't overweight and I'm almost 21 so I've lost 5kg or so (well 3.5 but I put on 1.5kg muscle too). I'm still fairly bloated although it varies a bit now.

#53 UKGail

UKGail

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Great post - full of interesting stories!

I gained about 30 lbs in the last year or two as my health declined, due to stopping exercising and constantly eating carby/gluteny foods to stave off nausea and hunger cravings. This switched to weight loss about a month before I went gluten free as the gastro symptoms kicked into high gear. The weight loss continued on the gluten free diet, quickly at first, then stopped as I discovered gluten-free goodies. These didn't agree with me, so I stopped eating them, and now grains too, so the extra weight is coming off again, but I am not hungry, nor have I yet returned to exercising. Over 5 months I have lost about 20 lbs, with another 10 or so to go before I go back to my normal weight of about 125 lbs. Hopefully my weight will stabilise there.

#54 lisalgreer

lisalgreer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

Yes, I have lost weight. I used to be normal weight/moving toward pudgy but realize I was at least gluten intolerant (if not celiac) from age 5. I had a terrible wheat craving and a bunch of other symptoms even as a child. Binging and compulsive overeating haunted me most of my life. Now, one of my big theories is that gluten intolerance and/or celiac cause many eating disorders in people.

So in July 2010, I went gluten free after an IgE test (yeah, I know not really a good test for this) showed I was sensitive to wheat and rye. I dropped about 18 pounds in 6 months with no other changes. At that point, I had been obese and NOTHING I did budged the weight. I had a big, bloated belly and always felt awful.

Then I got lax about things and the weight went up a bit. Fast forward to Dec. 10th of last year. I went gluten-free for good (and am not limiting dairy though I still eat some). In total now from my high weight in July 2010, I've lost about 26 pounds, and again, that's without trying. My doc was amazed at my five pound loss over the holidays and shocked that it was all gluten free that did it.

I find that the burning/nagging/terrible hunger I had when eating gluten disappears when I take out the gluten. If I get glutened, it comes back.

IgE test in July 2010 showed wheat and rye sensitivity and other sensitivities. Low vit. B, low vit. D, elevated liver enzymes, high bp, borderline blood sugar, elevated ANA number, terrible fatigue, brain fog, depression, migraines, eye twitching, compulsive overeating, obesity, inability to lose weight and more; close family member with two autoimmune disorders. DD-- mild/high functioning autism
Went gluten-free for a while but let it creep back in.
12/10/2011-- gluten-free for good
1/10/2011-- Vit. B and D good. Precursor number for anemia up and out of bad range, liver enzymes good, ANA normal
1/20/2011-- Negative celiac panel
1/25/2011-- Reduced dairy

On and off of wagon. :) But on before 2nd pregnancy (that's when I conceived) and during 2nd pregnancy in 2013.

7/29/14-- Enterolab cheek swab showed Double DQ1 genes. (possibility of being very gluten sensitive and of having neurological symptoms, malabsorption, and bad immunological responses to gluten...check).

#55 Jp629

Jp629

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

I have always been overweight and couldn't lose it no matter what I did. When I went gluten free it wasn't to lose weight but get rid of all the other problems I had. D, migraines, tingling, depression, stomach pain, anxiety, etc.
Losing weight was a shock. I went from 235 to 160 and it has stabilized. That's 75 pounds and I wasn't even trying. Took almost 2 years. But that's because I realized I was super sensitive. Can't really eat any of the gluten free processed foods. I have to stay with mainly whole foods. Plus finding out I have other food intolerances might have helped to.

Actually I was losing weight "prior" to being diagnosed. One I went gluten free, I "gained" 12 pounds in 3 months. Doctor says its because I'm now absorbing nutrients via my small intestines.

#56 Jp629

Jp629

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

I have always been overweight and couldn't lose it no matter what I did. When I went gluten free it wasn't to lose weight but get rid of all the other problems I had. D, migraines, tingling, depression, stomach pain, anxiety, etc.
Losing weight was a shock. I went from 235 to 160 and it has stabilized. That's 75 pounds and I wasn't even trying. Took almost 2 years. But that's because I realized I was super sensitive. Can't really eat any of the gluten free processed foods. I have to stay with mainly whole foods. Plus finding out I have other food intolerances might have helped to.

Actually I was losing weight "prior" to being diagnosed. One I went gluten free, I "gained" 12 pounds in 3 months. Doctor says its because I'm now absorbing nutrients via my small intestines.

#57 BrittLoves2Run

BrittLoves2Run

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

I haven't been able to lose months the last 6 months that i've been really sick before being diagnosed. In one week i've lost about 4 pounds. Which is more than i've lost in MONTHS. I hope to lost about 10 lbs total. I need to lose it.
--Brittany
Dxed with IBS in 2010

Celiac Panel/Thyroid blood test done on 1/19/2012
1/23- Positive Celiac blood tests/ TSH Levels 4.5 (range 0.4-5.5)
1/24- Gluten free
3/14--Since being gluten free i've had NO nausea, joint pain, and finally I am not tired all the time!! I am starting to feel like a normal person again!!!
5/30- Just a little over 4 months of being gluten free. While the joint pain and nausea are gone, I'm very sluggish and tired again. I also for the first time in my life have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. Quite annoying. But I'm still very grateful most of my issues are gone!

6th half marathon completed on 5/6/2012

#58 xxikayixx

xxikayixx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

I have always suffered from intestinal pain and ever since I went Gluten free I have NEVER felt as energetic, healthy and pain free as I do now. It has been almost weeks, and I've lost 7 lbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: