10 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

Why do gluten-free processed foods cause so much bloating? Breads, rice pasta, baked goods etc....I thought a gluten-free diet/ foods where supposed to make us feel better? What's going on...I feel more bloated and sick than before going gluten-free.....
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 calgarywalker

calgarywalker

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

Perhaps you have a problem with the sugar substitutes in the diet foods. Apparently its a very common and very unknown problem. Check out the information in this link - you might be very surprised how things like sorbitol can cause bloating and bathroom issues that mimick Celiac gastric symptoms. http://www.cspinet.o...g_sorbitol.html

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Why do gluten-free processed foods cause so much bloating? Breads, rice pasta, baked goods etc....I thought a gluten-free diet/ foods where supposed to make us feel better? What's going on...I feel more bloated and sick than before going gluten-free.....

That happens. Sorry. :ph34r:

It's best to go with whole foods that you've cooked yourself at first. I became convinced when I had a gluten-free salad that cost $15 for lunch at a chain fern bar when I first went gluten-free. Additives may be bothering your system. Good luck, hope you find your way down this path of discovery. :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

Thank you both.....Calgary You might be on to something about the sugar..I don't eat sugar substitutes or diet foods but do crave a lot of sugar.....Marilyn also correct what made me aware of all this was a week away on vacation where I was not exposed to any gluten-free processed foods or junk foods just homemade stuff and the bloating and fatigue went away..however while away did notice potato, and beef seemed to bother me....hmmm do we seem to do better grain and starch free ? Is that discussed here any where?
stool test postive 2009

#5 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

It could be one or more components of the foods. You could gather them together and see if they have things in common like xanthum gum or guar gum, which a lot of people can't handle. I personally have bad stomach issues from brown rice, so I can't eat any baked goods with brown rice flour. Could be sorghum or tapioca. You may want to try to isolate each suspect ingredient and test them on their own. Good luck! I can be a long process...
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#6 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

I too have the same issue and found out that I have an intolerance to rice. Maybe try an elimination diet.
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.
Trying hard to make this my lifestyle! :D

#7 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:42 AM

I too have the same issue and found out that I have an intolerance to rice. Maybe try an elimination diet.

Hi how did you find out you have a rice intolerance? My gosh almost everything I eat daily has rice flour in it....hmmm how would I go about an elimination diet? Could you imagine if it was rice flour....that would be awesome ...I fear meal times as I hate ruining my day with bloat and pain and fatigue cause my body is so busy digesting the foods....
stool test postive 2009

#8 KatV1985

KatV1985

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

I was just coming on to ask this very question. Have decided to eliminate any processed foods.
Before all this when D was an issue, I would eat rice to try and fix it (and it worked) now with all the rice and rice flour in the processed foods, I can only imagine it is doing the same thing.
I am also wondering, other than fruit and veggies, how does one get extra fibre in their diet while being gluten free? I used to have no problem going to the bathroom 2-3 times a day and I could lose weight easily on a diet and excercise. Now I feel like I am lucky if I go once a day, and even with a low calorie diet and lots of exercise I am not loosing any weight!
Any tips?
Pre-gluten-free:
Headaches, back pain, inconsistent BM's, fatigue, stomach pains after eating, pain behind left rib, overeating and always feeling hungry, moodiness, inability to focus on work, Keratosis Pilaris on arms. Have had multiple blood tests done, X-rays, CT scan, Ultrasound, Barium swallow and they cannot come up with anything...its been 6 years now and after eating at a restaurant with my girlfriends a few weeks ago I was in so much pain I had to ask for the bill and leave ASAP...that was my turning point where I decided something had to be done! Now 3 months in. Looking forward to seeing how I feel once I have been gluten-free for even longer!

#9 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:53 AM

Hi how did you find out you have a rice intolerance? My gosh almost everything I eat daily has rice flour in it....hmmm how would I go about an elimination diet? Could you imagine if it was rice flour....that would be awesome ...I fear meal times as I hate ruining my day with bloat and pain and fatigue cause my body is so busy digesting the foods....

To do an elimination diet takes a lot of time! You take out all the foods that you think are bugging you (for example rice) and not eat any for one to two weeks. after that slowly reintroduce the foods one at a time; giving a week in between new foods! I was like that for so long until I did the elimination diet! I feel a lot better! I usually eat vegetables and lean proteins! They have noodles made out of bean which can be a nice subsitute. Also spaghetti squash is very good with everything!

Yeah, having an intolerance to rice sucks!!!! I also can't eat potatoes or corn :(
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.
Trying hard to make this my lifestyle! :D

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

the ones that are made out of bean flour cause me to bloat badly.

#11 lizdehart

lizdehart

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:14 PM

Do you still eat dairy? Could that be the culprit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: