This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tramadol By Purepac

Guest nini

Guest nini

I have researched this as much as I know how to do and I cannot find out FOR SURE what the inactive ingredients are in Tramadol, by Purepac. The pharmacist called the mfr. and they had the basic cya response that they couldn't guarantee gluten-free because they don't test ingredients from suppliers. But she didn't ask WHAT the inactive ingredients are. Now they are closed for the weekend and I'm in the middle of a bad Fibromyalgia flare. I have held off taking it, and am just taking Tylenol (not helping) because I can't find out for sure.

Thanks Donna for the info about Teva's version being gluten-free. I called the pharmacist back over that one and she said that they would have to special order it, and it would take a few days, and then said it was UP TO ME to find a pharmacy that had it in the meantime, however, I would have to bring these back to her and get a refund first and not to take them . GRRRRR This is the pharmacy I normally use, but the regular pharmacist is on vacation and this lady covering for her is a PITA. My regular pharmacist would've fixed this for me by now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I am so frustrated. I feel like I am running into a brick wall with this. It sux it's the weekend and I can't get through to ANYONE that can help me figure this out. I'm in pain and I want to take this, but I'm afraid if it's not safe I'll be even worse off.

debmidge Rising Star

My relative works for Alpharma, which bought out Purpac and that relative says:

They don't say something is gluten-free as they are being honest because they don't know if something their supplier provided may have gluten in it or could be cross contaminated at the supplier's end.

And, no that dept. isn't open after 5 PM on a Friday. They open up again at 9 AM on Monday. They are located in Fort Lee, NJ (headquarters).

Additionally, I too get that answer from various generic pharamaceutical companies, so Purpac/Alpharma isn't the only company that gives this answer.

debmidge Rising Star

Also inactive ingredients are not subject to change. For example, when the formula is approved by the FDA the pharmaceutical company has to use the same "receipe" over and over. The pharmacecutical company has no control over the supplier's cross contamination issues.

If you haven't fixed your problem by 9 AM on Monday, then get phone number from information and give Alpharma/Purpac a call on Monday. Fort Lee, new jersey is their headquarters.

Guest nini

Thanks. I've already got the customer service number, since I tried getting ahold of them already. All of the pharmacists that I talked to in trying to find a gluten-free generic around here, told me that they SHOULD know this. The fact that they don't require their suppliers to disclose this information is incredibly stupid and disturbing. And I had a lot of pharmacists tell me that they run into this problem with a lot of mfr.s. I have been a good girl and haven't taken any, although I'm really hurting.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Nini,

I hope you're doing better. I was prescribed Tramadol last fall when rheumatologists still didn't realize my joint pain was from an allergic reaction. They thought I had R.A. despite despite tests showing there was no other indication for the dx other than excruciating, unrelenting pain. ANYWAY, I want to tell you my experience with Tramadol, even though I don't have Celiac, and I don't have FM. :) All knowledge is good, right!? We're all individuals and can all experience the same drug differently.

Ok. I found that drug raised my blood pressure very high. I felt like my head was going to explode. I called the dr and they said this was normal and that it can take two weeks to acclamate to the drug. I wouldn't have been able to drive a car or do anything "responsible" like that while acclamating to that feeling. I only took it once because I couldn't stand the way it made me feel. Because I didn't have R.A., this might be why I reacted so badly, I don't know. For my pain (which was enough to make me pray repeatedly to die for four months) the only thing that gave me a moment of relief was Vicodin. ... Which doctors hated hearing and made me beg for. I guess there's a lot of addicted housewives on Vicodin these days.

You said you're currently taking Tylenol for the pain, and I'm guessing that's not enough, but working to some degree??? Maybe you could get by with a Tylenol w/Codiene mix, or Vicodin, or some other less "experimental" drug. Frankly, that's how I feel about Tramadol, Arthrotec, Vioxx, ..... I was on soooooooo many different drugs last year, and all of them had the same physical effect on me as Tramadol BUT the only one they took off the market was the Vioxx. For me, Vioxx was way better than Tramadol.

ANYWAY, I don't mean to ramble. I know you're in pain and I know how awful that is for anyone. I have the highest regard for people in pain. I hope you find the Tramadol works for you and solves your pain, but I wanted to let you know it can cause a rise in your blood pressure and it can be weird enough to make you unable to drive and feel steady. I was told by my dr that this is normal and takes up to two weeks to lessen. So, If you take the Tramadol for the first time, make sure it's a time when you can lay down for awhile and put your feet up. Feel better. :)

Guest nini

Thank you for your input. I have taken Tramadol before. Before I knew Gluten was the cause of a lot of my problems. And then took Ultram because my insurance paid for it and I couldn't verify if any of the Generics were gluten-free. That may have been part of what put my blood pressure over the borderline before. I'm still taking Atenolol for that, because I don't know if my blood pressure will stay down if I go off it.

I'm kinda limited in what pain meds I can take because I'm also allergic to codeine, morphine, demerol... anything with a codeine derivative. That's why I'm sticking with Tylenol and so upset about this whole Tramadol experience.

I'm managing ok today with the pain, but I'm also not doing much today! I rested a lot yesterday and I'm really watching what I eat. Trying to not eat anything that might aggravate this. Staying away from sugar, caffeine, gluten (OF COURSE) :P , and dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

That really stinks that you're allergic to those drugs. :(

I don't know what I'd do. Nothing else works for me the way Vicodin does. I had virtually no pain relief from all the drugs they gave me EXCEPT the vicodin. After that experience, I began to understand the whole medical marijuana push. Whatever works for a person should be available. I hope you get your answers soon.

Guest nini
That really stinks that you're allergic to those drugs.  :(

I don't know what I'd do.  Nothing else works for me the way Vicodin does.  I had virtually no pain relief from all the drugs they gave me EXCEPT the vicodin.  After that experience, I began to understand the whole medical marijuana push.  Whatever works for a person should be available.  I hope you get your answers soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes it does stink... I agree with the whole medical marijuana push. It's a plant for cryin out loud! Alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana. It's legal because it's easier to tax. If pot was legal for pain patients, they could grow it in their own homes. It comes back down to the money issue! Of course there's always going to be the possibility of people abusing it, but they do that with narcotics and alcohol just as easily. "God made Marijuana, Man made Alcohol and prescription drugs, Who do you trust?" (can't remember who said that)...

Personally, I just want the pain to go away. I just want to be able to take something with a reasonable assurance that it is at the very least, safe from gluten!

debmidge Rising Star

Suppliers to pharmacetuicals:

The FDA mandates that the drug co. must use the same suppliers over and over. The suppliers however are more than likely not in USA; some Europe, some Asia. I don't think the FDA has much supervison over foreign suppliers other than the drug companies must test the suppliers stock BEFORE they use it to make sure it's pure, etc. They don't test for gluten and they can't be sure that the supplier has cross contamination issues. Drug cos. use foreign suppliers because they are probably less expensive and it keeps the cost of the generic down.

Guest nini

interesting.

I got someone at the mfr to tell me the inactive ingredients yesterday, but I was out and didn't have anything to write on. Nothing in it sounded like a gluten containing ingredient, however, they still went on about their spiel about not testing for gluten.

I told the lady I talked to that, that was frighteningly irresponsible, since wheat/gluten is one of the top allergens. Not to mention toxic to celiacs. Oh well...

I had my appt. with my fibro doc yesterday and he did an Electroceutical Stimulation Therapy treatment on me and I am feeling someone better.

my thinking now on the tramadol is, I will hang on to it, and if I truly need it, I may risk the cc issues and try it.

Archived