This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Does It Take You To Wake Up In The Mornings?

Living Large

Living Large Newbie

I always have to give myself several extra hours before I start work or have breakfast. If I eat right after I wake up, this ends up blocking up my system, causing a bloated stomach and extreme discomfort throughout the rest of the day.

Anybody else have this problem?

Also--although I love to have a snack late at night--I have to avoid this. Interestingly enough, just a small piece of rice cake can mess me up for the next day.

Unlike my family, my weight can swing wildly in one day, sometimes up to ten pounds' difference throughout the day. I always thought that was just a personal quirk but has anyone else with Celiac/sensitivities experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

I always have to give myself several extra hours before I start work or have breakfast. If I eat right after I wake up, this ends up blocking up my system, causing a bloated stomach and extreme discomfort throughout the rest of the day.

Also--although I love to have a snack late at night--I have to avoid this. Interestingly enough, just a small piece of rice cake can mess me up for the next day.

Unlike my family, my weight can swing wildly in one day, sometimes up to ten pounds' difference throughout the day. I always thought that was just a personal quirk but has anyone else with Celiac/sensitivities experienced this?

Hi again,

It really sounds like you are dealing with extra food sensitivities/allergies. I have had the same or should I say, a similar problem. Right now am again fluctuating, but no longer 10 pounds as I did in my twenties and thirties. Am trying out some homeopathics to see if they help. If they end up not working, I intend to get Phenol Assist or some similar supplement. Either that, or I will have to reduce my dietary spectrum even further...

For you Digestive enzymes might help too, especially to get things get your digestion going in the morning.

I find if I exercise a bit in the morning after getting up (like push ups and sit ups) it helps build digestive fire too, as well as helps to get my blood moving so I am not so sleepy/dizzy. Exercise in general helps the digestion as well as many other systems in the body.

I am finding I may be sensitive to phenols as well as gluten and salicylates. Which means there is a lot I am sensitive to.

I am also starting to investigate Donna Eden's ENERGY MEDICINE books and cds. She suggests energy muscle testing foods to see if they give you energy or reduce it. Might be something worthwhile for you to look into too?? Its sort of an East/West approach to the meridians that can help you become a lot healthier.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I need at least an hour before i'm... socible. My family knows not to push my buttons before that hour lol. I can't eat right off the bat either or else it tries to come back up on me.

Fairy Dancer Contributor

It takes me at least several cups of coffee and 3 cigarettes before my brain comes anywhere close to landing back on earth in the morning! I also can't eat when I first wake up as my stomach is one of the last things to wake up. My bowel however seems to be an early riser so morning constipation is rarely an issue for me lol. Actually any kind of constipation is rare for me full stop!

I had no idea the human body could create so much...

shadowicewolf Proficient

It takes me at least several cups of coffee and 3 cigarettes before my brain comes anywhere close to landing back on earth in the morning! I also can't eat when I first wake up as my stomach is one of the last things to wake up. My bowel however seems to be an early riser so morning constipation is rarely an issue for me lol. Actually any kind of constipation is rare for me full stop!

I had no idea the human body could create so much...

Lucky... :<

• 1 year later...
jklivin Newbie

I also have this problem - It takes me at least an hour to get myself going and before I can even think about eating breakfast.. even then, eating breakfast seems to be a bit of struggle.  But once I get going, I start feeling good enough to start my day.. it is more of a gradual thing.. but this is my daily routine anymore.

Gemini Experienced

Slow to start the day can be from low cortisol levels.  I have that problem.  I get up early but am slow to start and need a couple of hours before I am ready to go for the day. But once that happens, I am good to go.  I was tested and my morning cortisol is low and that's the get up and go chemical.  However, I catch up well and my levels are great the rest of the day.  I have to wait a half hour before eating because I take thyroid hormone for Hashi's and you have to take it on an empty stomach.  I have never been a morning person and need a while to get my butt in gear.  I am also slow to wake up.....all because of the cortisol thing.

I am a total night owl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I found I gained 9lbs and 9 inches overnight once after eating pizza.  I have a problem with cheese and wheat as I found out several times later.  Low cortisol can also make one retain fluid according to my functional medicine nurse.

My weight has tended to swing by 10 lbs or so over days and weeks.  I lost 30 lbs once in a week.  I took a supplement that helped rid me of my water weight.  I went from an extra large dress to a small in a week.

I am still waiting to see if such a thing happens when I am taking herbs for adrenal support.

I find I can wake up in 30-45 minutes.  A light one can turn on from the bed seems to help a great deal.  If I prop myself up against the wall in a sitting position, I tend to wake up faster.

Diana

LauraB0927 Apprentice

It takes about an hour and a half and 4 cell phone alarms to get me up in the morning (my fiance isn't too happy with that either haha).  I need to wait about 20 minutes after waking up before I get in the shower so that I don't trigger a syncope episode (I'm assuming I have to wait until my blood pressure rises enough before getting in the shower or else I pass out).  That 20 minutes also allows my bowels to start working so that I'm not bloated all day...

Archived