This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Tennessee

samie

samie Contributor

I live north of Memphis. Just seeing if anyone is around this area or close by.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I'm about 70 miles from Knoxville. I'm just south of Johnson City appx. 40 minutes.

• 3 months later...
millertl2 Rookie

I live in Johnson City, TN. My physician just told me that my Celiac Panel was abnormal and that I had Celiac's Disease. Now, what do I do?.......Tom

Roda Rising Star

I live in Johnson City, TN. My physician just told me that my Celiac Panel was abnormal and that I had Celiac's Disease. Now, what do I do?.......Tom

Hi Tom. It sounds like you are a bit overwhelmed. I'm in Greeneville and you'd be suprised, for the area, how many options/products/stores are available. Just where I live I have access to two health food stores, two mennonite stores, and can find speciality products at Food City and Ingals. I also make trips up to JC to Earthfare. There also is another little health food store in the same shopping center as PetSmart (I don't know the actual shopping center name. I think it is off of State of Franklin.) I have also heard there are a lot of options at Kroger but I haven't been there. There was a speciality place in Kingsport that I went to a few times when I was commuting. I'll have to get back to you on the name of the place. I have sucessfully eaten at Mello Mushroom. I was really suprised at how good their gluten free pizza was.

Curious, did your doctor diagnose you based on your blood work only? Is your doctor recommending a scope? Some doctors will diagnose based on blood work alone. Rarely there is false positives, but a lot of false negatives. If you are going to have a scope/biopsy done however, stay eating a regular diet until it is over. Also it is recommended that all first degree relatives get screened for celiac (parents, siblings, children) because their risk increases from 1 in 133 to 1 in 22 having a first degree relative diagnosed.

I would start by eating things that are naturally gluten free like fresh meats, veggies and fruit. Dairy is fine unless you are having issues with it. Do you live alone or live with someone, ie roomates, wife, kids..? If you do are you going to maintain a shared house or take the whole house gluten free? Here is what I did when I was first diagosed:

-Went through the pantry/fridge and got rid of anything I couldn't eat and that the other "gluten eaters" didn't want and donated what I could to the local food bank. I dedicated a drawer in the fridge and the top shelf of the pantry for gluten foods the rest being for gluten free. I scrubbed the kitchen down and all but one small section of the counter was gluten free. I set up my husband's toaster on the small section for him and he could make his gluten sandwiches etc.

-I replaced or bought another of: toaster, wooden spoons/cutting boards, waffle iron, scratched/worn pots & plastic storage containers, pasta strainer. I kept some of the worn pots for hubby to use for gluten things.

-I rid the entire house of any regular flour. There was to much risk since it can stay airborn for awhile and then settle down on the counters. Any baking was done gluten free and if the gluten eaters wanted something I couldn't/wouldn't make, they went to the bakery.

-All shared meals were gluten free. I had no interest in cooking separate meals. The gluten eaters had their cereal and had luch at work/school. Any gluten products had to be consumed at the table on a plate and the kids/hubby had to wash afterwords so they wouldn't cross contaminate surfaces in the house.

-Let gluten eaters finish up any condiments etc that may have been contaminated and replace with new for everyone to share. They don't cross contaminate because I either bought squeeze bottles or they scoop out of the containers what they want and never double dip. We share things like cheese and lunchmeat. My husband will have clean hands and take out what he wants and put it away before touching his bread.

-replaced any baking items/spices/herbs that may have been contaminated with flour (yeah the double dipping thing, I was guilty before)

-checked all my personal care items and made sure they were gluten free. If you have a girlfriend and she is not gluten free, she will need at least gluten free lip balm and lipstick incase you kiss. Your partner, if not gluten free, will need to brush teeth before kissing too.

I know it seems overwhelming at first, mistakes will happen, but it does get easier. I wish when I had gone gluten free I had someone to help me set things up. It would have been so much easier. If you have any questions or if I can help you with anything you can PM me.

millertl2 Rookie

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I was having concerns of low Testosterone (mine was 75 instead of in the normal range of 300), but I wasn't having low testosterone symptoms, plus I have been on Testosterone injections for the past 2 years, but they were not working at all. I requested to see an Endocrinologist. When I finally had my appointment (about 3 months) and after a thorough exam and blood work, my Endocrinologist called me yesterday to let me know that most of the blood work came back okay, but my Celiac Panel was abnormal. The Endocrinologist explained different symptoms, including low testosterone. After hearing and reading about Celiac Disease, I remember always having some issue areas but physicians couldn't explain. I had scopes done years ago looking for something because at some points I would have unexplained bleeding, but the scopes came back normal. My endocrinologist told me to be Gluten free for a couple of months and he will re-check my testosterone levels and blood work.

Thanks again for the information and encouragement! :)

The Adventure begins.........

Hi Tom. It sounds like you are a bit overwhelmed. I'm in Greeneville and you'd be suprised, for the area, how many options/products/stores are available. Just where I live I have access to two health food stores, two mennonite stores, and can find speciality products at Food City and Ingals. I also make trips up to JC to Earthfare. There also is another little health food store in the same shopping center as PetSmart (I don't know the actual shopping center name. I think it is off of State of Franklin.) I have also heard there are a lot of options at Kroger but I haven't been there. There was a speciality place in Kingsport that I went to a few times when I was commuting. I'll have to get back to you on the name of the place. I have sucessfully eaten at Mello Mushroom. I was really suprised at how good their gluten free pizza was.

Curious, did your doctor diagnose you based on your blood work only? Is your doctor recommending a scope? Some doctors will diagnose based on blood work alone. Rarely there is false positives, but a lot of false negatives. If you are going to have a scope/biopsy done however, stay eating a regular diet until it is over. Also it is recommended that all first degree relatives get screened for celiac (parents, siblings, children) because their risk increases from 1 in 133 to 1 in 22 having a first degree relative diagnosed.

I would start by eating things that are naturally gluten free like fresh meats, veggies and fruit. Dairy is fine unless you are having issues with it. Do you live alone or live with someone, ie roomates, wife, kids..? If you do are you going to maintain a shared house or take the whole house gluten free? Here is what I did when I was first diagosed:

-Went through the pantry/fridge and got rid of anything I couldn't eat and that the other "gluten eaters" didn't want and donated what I could to the local food bank. I dedicated a drawer in the fridge and the top shelf of the pantry for gluten foods the rest being for gluten free. I scrubbed the kitchen down and all but one small section of the counter was gluten free. I set up my husband's toaster on the small section for him and he could make his gluten sandwiches etc.

-I replaced or bought another of: toaster, wooden spoons/cutting boards, waffle iron, scratched/worn pots & plastic storage containers, pasta strainer. I kept some of the worn pots for hubby to use for gluten things.

-I rid the entire house of any regular flour. There was to much risk since it can stay airborn for awhile and then settle down on the counters. Any baking was done gluten free and if the gluten eaters wanted something I couldn't/wouldn't make, they went to the bakery.

-All shared meals were gluten free. I had no interest in cooking separate meals. The gluten eaters had their cereal and had luch at work/school. Any gluten products had to be consumed at the table on a plate and the kids/hubby had to wash afterwords so they wouldn't cross contaminate surfaces in the house.

-Let gluten eaters finish up any condiments etc that may have been contaminated and replace with new for everyone to share. They don't cross contaminate because I either bought squeeze bottles or they scoop out of the containers what they want and never double dip. We share things like cheese and lunchmeat. My husband will have clean hands and take out what he wants and put it away before touching his bread.

-replaced any baking items/spices/herbs that may have been contaminated with flour (yeah the double dipping thing, I was guilty before)

-checked all my personal care items and made sure they were gluten free. If you have a girlfriend and she is not gluten free, she will need at least gluten free lip balm and lipstick incase you kiss. Your partner, if not gluten free, will need to brush teeth before kissing too.

I know it seems overwhelming at first, mistakes will happen, but it does get easier. I wish when I had gone gluten free I had someone to help me set things up. It would have been so much easier. If you have any questions or if I can help you with anything you can PM me.

Celtic Queen Explorer

I'm in Memphis, so I'm close to you Samie.

samie Contributor

Yeah that is close.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rebecca92 Apprentice

I am right outside Nashville

Celtic Queen Explorer

Samie,

Do you go to the support group meetings? I think they're on the 3rd Tuesday at Whole Foods? I haven't been to one yet and was just curious.

samie Contributor

no i haven't i have been thinking about going but just have not been able to go. i probaly will soon got to get another car first

Celtic Queen Explorer

For my Memphis friends,

Huey's is now serving a gluten-free burger. It's comes on a "lettuce bun." It's wonderful. Tastes just like a regular Huey Burger. Unfortunately their fries aren't cooked in a dedicated fryer, so they're off limits. But at least we can eat their burgers.

samie Contributor

I will have to try that.

• 3 weeks later...
millertl2 Rookie

I am still looking for people in the Johnson City, TN area. I would like to get a group going in this area.

Roda Rising Star

I am still looking for people in the Johnson City, TN area. I would like to get a group going in this area.

What did you find out at Earth Fare? I might be intestered if more people show an interest. I'll have to see what I can dig up.

notme Experienced

my daughter (goes to school at ETSU) works at the ruby tuesday up there. she will feed you safely! she recently served a group that had celiac people and they were thrilled that she knew how to keep their food 'good to eat' - she was excited to call and tell me about it :)

millertl2 Rookie

Okay, Great!

Thank you

millertl2 Rookie

What did you find out at Earth Fare? I might be intestered if more people show an interest. I'll have to see what I can dig up.

I asked at the Customer Service area, but they did not have any information about Celiac Groups or Gluten Free Groups. The management people that I spoke with were not very friendly nor helpful.

Desi83 Newbie

I live in Murfreesboro, TN. There are Celiac support group meetings as Whole Foods? As in Cool Springs?

• 1 year later...
whoknewafter25years Newbie

hello. im from mount carmel and would be interested in support group. i am gluten free now for almost a year and have enormous improvement in digestive health. im neg for blood work and biopsy but was gluten free prior to each.i was pos stool for gluten sens.the diet is tough but so worth it. so thankful God revealed to me to do this.apartfrom accidental ingestions im healthier than i have been in 25 years. would love to share recipes or eating out options locally and even physician suggestions.my md is not convinced because of the neg tests.the stool test was suggested by my dietician who helped me more in 3sessions than docs in 25 yrs.

Archived