This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To Gluten Free

Caremate

Caremate Newbie

Hello, I was diagnosed with Celiac probably about 4 weeks ago and I've been trying to stay gluten free so my symptoms will go away. I even payed $225 to see a nutritionist to help me with the transition. It's becoming very hard though because I live in a house with 4 other people (fiance and his family) who are not gluten free. My nutritionist told me to buy my own set of utensils and plates to make it easier but I have no where to store them! She also said I have to wash any dishes with gluten in dishwasher up to a certain temp for them to be ok for me to use (without possibility of cross contamination) Does anyone have any suggestions? or maybe some experience of living with other people who aren't gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutenfreeinminnesota Contributor

Hello, I was diagnosed with Celiac probably about 4 weeks ago and I've been trying to stay gluten free so my symptoms will go away. I even payed $225 to see a nutritionist to help me with the transition. It's becoming very hard though because I live in a house with 4 other people (fiance and his family) who are not gluten free. My nutritionist told me to buy my own set of utensils and plates to make it easier but I have no where to store them! She also said I have to wash any dishes with gluten in dishwasher up to a certain temp for them to be ok for me to use (without possibility of cross contamination) Does anyone have any suggestions? or maybe some experience of living with other people who aren't gluten free?

Hey and welcome! I live with my gluten consuming boyfriend. I didn't get my own cookware at first, but still felt sick occasionally. Maybe it was all in my head, but I did get my own pots, pans and utensils eventually. When I cook ( which is 95% of the time ) I use my utensils, my pots and pans and make everything gluten free. I used to make things separate, ex:pastas and such, but not anymore. Got to be annoying, and he can eat my gluten-free stuff just fine. I live in a townhouse with limited kitchen cupboard space, but I made room the best I could for separate cookware, I just have to be a lot more organized ;) Seems I have developed slight OCD in the kitchen, thinking gluten is lurking everywhere, so I clean my dishes, cookware and utensils really well before I even put them thru the dishwasher...if anything, it makes me feel better. I do keep all my specific gluten free things in a separate cupboard as well now, so we don't get anything confused (I have eaten his soup that was with my gluten-free soups, just to find it had wheat in it a little too late). Good luck! Hope this was helpful.

Caremate Newbie

Hey and welcome! I live with my gluten consuming boyfriend. I didn't get my own cookware at first, but still felt sick occasionally. Maybe it was all in my head, but I did get my own pots, pans and utensils eventually. When I cook ( which is 95% of the time ) I use my utensils, my pots and pans and make everything gluten free. I used to make things separate, ex:pastas and such, but not anymore. Got to be annoying, and he can eat my gluten-free stuff just fine. I live in a townhouse with limited kitchen cupboard space, but I made room the best I could for separate cookware, I just have to be a lot more organized ;) Seems I have developed slight OCD in the kitchen, thinking gluten is lurking everywhere, so I clean my dishes, cookware and utensils really well before I even put them thru the dishwasher...if anything, it makes me feel better. I do keep all my specific gluten free things in a separate cupboard as well now, so we don't get anything confused (I have eaten his soup that was with my gluten-free soups, just to find it had wheat in it a little too late). Good luck! Hope this was helpful.

Eventually my fiance and I will be moving out and we want to become kosher on top of my gluten free diet. My nutritionist said that most kosher foods is gluten free so (as of right now) my fiance said he is willing to become gluten free (with a shelf or drawer of gluten infested products lol) as of right now we are still living with his family and have decided to have a 'family meeting' with his mom/stepdad/brother so we can work something out that will help me. (previous to all this there has been a lot of controversy over who empties the dishwasher, etc.) You're response has helped (esp with moving out and living with just my fiance) Thanks so much for your response :) I am usually the one who cooks for my fiance and myself, except for nights I close (which is usually 3-4 nights a week - 12am) then his mom will sometimes cook for him or he eats left overs lol my problem is when everyone else cooks for themselves. My (future) brother in law has complained about emptying the dishwasher so much he has decided to hand wash everything to avoid emptying it. My fiance and I decided to do the same to prevent problems. Now we cant do that. We called a "family meeting" for tonight to discuss possibly using the dishwasher almost everyday and finding a system for unloading (writing down who empties it when, tallys, we dont know yet lol) Once my fiance and I get our own place I know it'll be easier (even with the kosher home - we'll already have 2 sets of plates for meat and dairy) I might ask for a separate cupboard just to be safe... Thanks again!

lilu Rookie

you might want to double check that kosher thing by heading to a kosher market or the kosher section of your grocery for a field trip. To the best of my knowledge there are plenty of kosher foods that contain gluten. I know I've seen multiple recipes posted for gluten-free Matso.

I would not trust what someone else tells you with respect to ingredients, especially when it regards a generalized category like "kosher", "vegan", etc. Read the labels so you can feel confident! ;)

Caremate Newbie

you might want to double check that kosher thing by heading to a kosher market or the kosher section of your grocery for a field trip. To the best of my knowledge there are plenty of kosher foods that contain gluten. I know I've seen multiple recipes posted for gluten-free Matso.

I would not trust what someone else tells you with respect to ingredients, especially when it regards a generalized category like "kosher", "vegan", etc. Read the labels so you can feel confident! ;)

I'm definitely going to look into more! I don't really trust what anyone says anymore :P I work at a grocery store so I'll be picking everything and anything up to read the ingredients now.

lilu Rookie

Just thought you might be interested in this. I was just searching my Kindle for cookbooks and saw 'The Kosher Celiac: a Passover Cookbook' :-)

Archived