3 replies to this topic

#1 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Thinking of ordering some of this cereal for an upcoming trip to New Zealand. We will be travelling in a small camper van, but it has some storage and a fridge.

The idea of waking up and eating this quickly before starting my day sounds amazing. It was on the Dragons Den, a rerun I caught this week and I was just wondering if anyone has heard of it?

Its called 'Holy Crap'...which makes me giggle to boot! By a Canadian couple, out in British Columbia.

This list was what got me interested...

Gluten free
Lactose free
Wheat free
Sugar free
Nut free
All natural
Vegan
Contains 8 full servings
No cooking required

Its also GMO free, and you only need 2 Tbsp's. I hope its not too good to be true.

If anyone has tried it please post, I would love to hear from you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 calgarywalker

calgarywalker

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

I bought some of this ... the back of the package says:

Ingredients: organic cha, hulled hemp hearts, organic buckwheat, organic cranberries, orgranic rasins, apple bits, organic cinamon. Mix 2 tablespoons with 4 tablespoons of almond, soy or hemp milk or milk or sprinkle 1 tablespoon on yogurt, oatmeal or granola. Stir, wait 3-4 minutes ... enjoy!

(Per 2 tablespoons - 28 grams): Calories 120, Fats 6 grams, Carbs 16 grams, Protien 4 grams, Calcium 8% (of daily requirements) Iron 13%.
"no cooking required - eat it raw"

I tried it raw and my verdict is - I think a coffee with double cream would provide more calories, nutrition and taste better. Lots of calories per tablespoon but its hard to take more than a couple tablespoons with all the little nut bits getting caught in every little cranny in your mouth. The taste is bland in spite of the cinamon and the only good tasting bit is the rasins. If you use it as a sprinkle on something else then maybe it would work for you, but all it's doing for me is giving me a chuckle when I open the pantry.

#3 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:53 AM

I really like Holy Crap and others like it (I bought one called Chia Goodness that is very similar).

However - I don't eat it as a cereal. 2 tbsp ? Not much, soak it in milk or whatever, boring! What I do with it is put it in my baked goods (muffins, cookies) or my cooked rice cereal (Bob's Redmill really tasty rice cereal or whatever it's called). It adds texture & some crunch to otherwise boring gluten-free products !

#4 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:15 PM

Good to know then!

Ty both for the info. I am going to grab a bag from a local store, but just one to see how it goes. I will hold off on the 3 pack/free shipping special lol.

I like the idea of adding it to baked goods, since I already add chia seeds.

Bit bland though? bummer, when I was reading the ingredients It 'sounds' like it should pack a flavour punch...but thats exactly why I wanted to ask the forum, so Thank you for that heads up too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: