This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice At Pf Chengs

Suezboss

Suezboss Apprentice

I ate at PF Chengs this afternoon... had a yummy gluten-free meal (hopefully...) the only thing I wasn't sure of was the rice... When I asked our waitress, who seemed to have NO clue what gluten-free was, nor what the menu was about, I asked her if the rice was gluten-free? She had no idea... so she asked another waiter, he came over and said "it's a Wheat Rice"... I was like "WHAT?"... so he got the manager... and the manager came over and was like "I don't know... the rice is NOT on our Gluten-Free menu, so I'm not sure. Do you normally eat rice".. and I replied, well, yes, gluten-free rice is fine. I then asked her if it was seasoned with anything, or filled etc.., she told me that the chef said it should be gluten-free, but neeless to say, I satyed away...

Does anyone know if it is a safe item?

I think I might have got glutened though... b/c my stomach is hurting... :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've never heard of steamed rice having anything added to it - rice and water. There was something of an urban legend running around at one point that the enrichment on some rice contained gluten, but no one was ever able to substantiate that rumor with a company, as I recall. (Perhaps I'm wrong.) It may simply be a matter of asking the right question - "Is it plain white rice, steamed, with absolutely nothing added?" (Of course, I can't imagine a chinese restaurant doing anything with their steamed white rice! ;-) )

Suezboss Apprentice
I've never heard of steamed rice having anything added to it - rice and water.  There was something of an urban legend running around at one point that the enrichment on some rice contained gluten, but no one was ever able to substantiate that rumor with a company, as I recall.  (Perhaps I'm wrong.)  It may simply be a matter of asking the right question - "Is it plain white rice, steamed, with absolutely nothing added?"  (Of course, I can't imagine a chinese restaurant doing anything with their steamed white rice! ;-) )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

That's what I figured, but when the manager, said she "guessed".. I figured PLAY it safe, JUST incase they added a seasoning of some sort... :rolleyes:

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I've had the rice at PF Changs and never had a problem.

I do want to add a quick note here about all rice being gluten-free, keep in mind at some good restaurants they cook it in some chicken broth for added flavor and that of course might not make it gluten-free.

I've not found this often but I have seen it once or twice so now when I see rice on a menu I always ask if its cooked with just plain water or if they use chicken broth or any other additive.

Susan

happygirl Collaborator

I've eaten at PF Chang's at every chance I get and have been told that their rice is gluten free!!! I have luckily never gotten sick there. Hope that you are feeling ok....

BabySnooks Rookie
I've eaten at PF Chang's at every chance I get and have been told that their rice is gluten free!!! I have luckily never gotten sick there. Hope that you are feeling ok....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Laura,

I have not eaten at P.F. Chang's yet, but I would like to. My favorite is beef chop suey. I heard some soy sauce has gluten and others not. If I ascertain which Chinese restaurants use gluten-free soy sauce (if any), are there also other ingredients in chop suey that I have to investigate?

This site is SO HELPFUL!!

happygirl Collaborator

Yes, this website is so helpful. It's great because new people learn things, old people can share what they've gone through, and even people who are experts still learn things! I don't know the answer to your question about beef chop suey. I've heard a lot of Thai places use gluten free sauces. Yes, some brands of soy sauce have wheat in them and some do not. At PF Chang's, their "normal" sauce is NOT gluten-free, but if you tell them you need the gluten-free soy sauce, then your meal will be prepared with that. I don't know if you've already seen on PF Chang's website that they have a list of which menu items are gluten-free or can be prepared gluten-free (i.e., using gluten-free soy sauce in place of the non-gluten-free).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jknnej Collaborator

There's another thread here somewhere about PF Chang's.

Although I dont think it's a gluten issue, I get sick almost every time I eat there.

Several of my friends who are not Celiacs have the same problem.

I think it might be an MSG issue or something else they add to their food.

I LOVE PF chang's but unfortunately, I have to stay away b/c of these stomach aches.

I usually eat at Outback and Carrabba's instead.

Archived