No replies to this topic

#1 greghof

greghof

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:38 PM

I am very new to all of this, so please bear with me. I have been having stomach problems since my 10th grade year in high school, and I am now completing my sophomore year of college so it has been 4 years now of fairly consistent acid reflux, coming about mostly at bedtime. In the years since coming to college it has gotten progressively worse, along with more occurrences of severe gas, sometimes in the stomach, sometimes lower down the tract and sometimes everywhere. First my doctor told me to use zantac, and when that had no affect he told me to use prevacid. Still no result. I made an appointment with another doctor, which led to an endoscopy on saturday. The test showed that i had an enflamed esophagus, but no other symptoms. I am still waiting for the results of blood tests. Anyway, for all this time that i've been having what i thought was acid reflux i've been cutting out more and more meat and dairy out of my diet and replacing it with breads and pastas. After my endoscopy the doctor told me that its likely to either be Crohn's disease or Celiac Sprue. After my endoscopy i ate gluten free for the rest of the day and woke up the next morning with no heartburn. Same thing last night - i ate a big helping of rice noocles with red sauce tuna brocolli and mushrooms at 7 and went to bed at 10 - no heartburn. The last 6 months i had been stopping my food consumption at 5 and still suffering through the night even if i stayed upright until 12. Obviously i have been extatic about not having hearburn, but I am wondering 1. what i have done to myself in my unknowing gluten-gluttany, and 2. is this likely to be celiac sprue or just gluten intolerance, and 3. are they the same?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: