This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Word Of Caution At Pf Changs

CaraLouise

CaraLouise Explorer

Hello friends! I recently dined out at the PF Changs in Allen, TX. I ordered the Buddha's Feast and I ate most of it before I found out I was served one not gluten free! I have been served a stir-fried one before and I knew that was not gluten free, however this one had tofu. Now I have been served one with tofu, but last night I did not eat any since I particularly don't like it. The manager noticed that I had pushed it to the side and rushed over to apologize to say that it should never have tofu. None of the items at PF Changs with tofu should be gluten free. I was shocked!!!! I was thinking well at least I didn't eat it, but look at all the cross-contamination. The manager did pay for my parties meal and give free dessert (which I partook of), I mean if I am going to be sick I might as well have chocolate beforehand. Needless to say I have not been feeling good for two days, from something I had eaten. Anyway, I just wanted to give everyone a head's up because this was something that I was completely unaware of!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kledford Rookie

I don't understand why PF Changs has to use tofu with gluten/wheat in it...if they try so hard to offer gluten-free items why not switch over toGF soy sauce and gluten-free tofu and not worry about having to stock 2 items or worry if someone gets it by accident....it would also allow more items for people that already have a limited selection....just my opinion!

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

I don't understand why PF Changs has to use tofu with gluten/wheat in it...if they try so hard to offer gluten-free items why not switch over toGF soy sauce and gluten-free tofu and not worry about having to stock 2 items or worry if someone gets it by accident....it would also allow more items for people that already have a limited selection....just my opinion!

Totally agree with you on that!!

I've only been to PF Chang's once (mainly b/c it's on the other side of the city & when I'm there, I don't usually have time to stop at a restraunt, even if it's to pick up take out (for the particular area our PF Chang's is in, being as it's downtown, it would mean parking my car elsewhere & walking)... and that time, we were ordering it to go/ take out, my husband and I ordered ALL our stuff off the gluten- free menu, and when they brought it out, told me there was soy sauce... luckily I had the presence of mind to ask if it was the gluten- free soy sauce (I mean, gee whiz, everything we ordered was gluten- free-- and labelled thus!), he wasn't sure, but didn't think it was, so went back and got me some that was from their gluten- free stash!

So, yeah, I totally agree... I don't see why both their tofu and their soy sauce couldn't be totally gluten free...

psawyer Proficient

We don't have PF Changs here, but I will offer a comment that may be relevant. There have been some reports here of sushi bars that made gluten-free soy sauce their only soy sauce. Apparently ordinary customers didn't like it as well as the wheat-loaded version.

TB4me2000 Newbie

The gluten-free soy sauce I've had isn't nearly as good as I remember "normal" soy sauce being. If I didn't have to go gluten-free, I don't think I'd be happy with it.

Also, not sure what PF Changs does to their tofu to make it not gluten-free, but none of their gluten-free dishes contain tofu (that I noticed on the menu, anyway), so if you see tofu on your gluten-free plate, there's probably something wrong.

brendygirl Community Regular

I've had exceptionally wonderful gluten free dining at P.F. Chang's for years, all over the U.S., from Hawaii to Florida, Louisiana to D.C. since 2005!

What makes me feel so at ease is that they bring it on a special plate, signifying to the staff that it is gluten-free. From what I recall the plate is round with writiing around the edge of it. I am highly sensitive to the slightest cc and have never been sick from their food.

In fact, I've had so much luck there, that I recommend to other restaurants (especially after one manager ran to my table and grabbed my spaghetti away before I could eat it) that they use a visibly different plate to draw attention to specially prepared, non-allergen meals.

kareng Grand Master

I have been going to Pei Wei. They are the faster food version of PF Changs. They only have a few gluten-free items but they are good. They bring them out to your table special. No one who works there or PF Changs acts like they don't know what you are talking about. My hub likes to go. I can get a glass of wine, he gets a beer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

We don't have PF Changs here, but I will offer a comment that may be relevant. There have been some reports here of sushi bars that made gluten-free soy sauce their only soy sauce. Apparently ordinary customers didn't like it as well as the wheat-loaded version.

I never liked La Choy as well as other soy sauces. If that's what the sushi bar switched to I can see the issue. I do like San J tamari as well as others.

Sorry to hear about P.F. Chang's and thanks for the warning.

lovegrov Collaborator

Peter is right. A local Japanese restaurant went to all gluten-free soy sauce once without telling folks, and the owner immediately started getting complaints that their food didn't taste the same and wasn't as good. This was from regular customers who has no idea the soy sauce had been changed. The owner and the chef both think San J gluten-free tamari is a good, quality product, but it still isn't the same.

richard

CaraLouise Explorer

I know, the problem is when they bring it out on the special plate and it is still wrong! Still I love both PF Changs and Pei Wei, although I wish PF Changs had spring rolls and Pei Wei chicken lettuce wraps. What an interesting conversation about the soy sauces too!

I've had exceptionally wonderful gluten free dining at P.F. Chang's for years, all over the U.S., from Hawaii to Florida, Louisiana to D.C. since 2005!

What makes me feel so at ease is that they bring it on a special plate, signifying to the staff that it is gluten-free. From what I recall the plate is round with writiing around the edge of it. I am highly sensitive to the slightest cc and have never been sick from their food.

In fact, I've had so much luck there, that I recommend to other restaurants (especially after one manager ran to my table and grabbed my spaghetti away before I could eat it) that they use a visibly different plate to draw attention to specially prepared, non-allergen meals.

Ev7777 Apprentice

Thank you for the inf. I'll have to be especially vigilant since I take my nephew there a lot. If they were to mess up his order, I'd never notice since he would probably not say a word and just eat it (he's 8 years old). Then the poor thing would have to suffer the consequences later. Luckily I know exactly what his favorite dessert looks like, (gluten-free FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE DOME) because he orders it every single time we go!

Takala Enthusiast

I like the San- J wheat free tamari much better than regular soy sauce.

But now I don't like soy sauce on sushi at all. I guess I'm evolving.

American food manufacturing seems to be de - evolving. Why would anyone put wheat into tofu, anyway ? Are they having some sort of contest to see the most absurd place they can hide gluten where it wouldn't be expected ? Do they get assigned several tons a year to infiltrate into normal food ?

Archived