5 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

My doctor ordered a second cbc/metabolic panel for me about a week ago. When it came back, she told me it was normal. I asked for a copy of it, which I got today.

My last cbc, four months ago, was totally normal, with all my values square in the middle of the normal range. Not this time.

These were off:

White Blood Cell Count
Current test: 2.2
4 months ago: 8.5
"normal": 4.0-10.5

Platelet Count
Current test: 123
4 months ago: 255
"normal": 140-415

Polys-Man% (neutrophils)
Current test: 39
4 months ago: 59
"normal": 40-75

Monos% (monocytes)
Current test: 17
4 months ago: 7
"normal": 0-14

I tried to get a hold of my doctor but could only leave a message with her office. I am concerned about the white blood cell count- when I looked into it 2.2 is very low- I saw a few people saying that when their WBC was 2.2 it was considered critical by their doctor. I'm not on any medicine that causes leukopenia, I've been gluten free for about a month and a half and the only abnormal test result that I've gotten recently besides this was a low serum iron. My main symptoms are fatigue and various GI complaints, mostly stomach cramps and nausea. I've bruised easily all my life and I have reactive airway disorder so a cold can put me in the emergency room- neither of those symptoms are abnormal to me.

I'm not sure if I'm even dealing with celiac disease at this point, but I don't know where else to ask because you guys are so nice and my doctor is unreachable. Am I in danger?
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jungle

Jungle

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

I do think you need the Dr to read these results again. It looks like pretty much all of them fall out (or almost) out of the normal ranges. You need to go back with test in hand to ask again. What any of it means is beyond me but the practice of getting copies of your tests is a smart one.

#3 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

I do think you need the Dr to read these results again. It looks like pretty much all of them fall out (or almost) out of the normal ranges. You need to go back with test in hand to ask again. What any of it means is beyond me but the practice of getting copies of your tests is a smart one.

Well, I highlighted the ones that were out of normal range. Everything else (red blood cells, etc) were all apparently normal. Some of the liver function ones had also changed significantly since my last test but were still within normal.

I am hoping she will call me back. It is actually my psychiatrist that ordered these tests- but my GP seems to always just tell me to follow up on my referral to the gastroenterologist. It seems like what I really need is to see a hematologist.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Well, I highlighted the ones that were out of normal range. Everything else (red blood cells, etc) were all apparently normal. Some of the liver function ones had also changed significantly since my last test but were still within normal.

I am hoping she will call me back. It is actually my psychiatrist that ordered these tests- but my GP seems to always just tell me to follow up on my referral to the gastroenterologist. It seems like what I really need is to see a hematologist.

If your GP will not address these blood results IMHO you need to find a new GP. That much of a change in 4 months needs to be addressed.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

I'm not a doctor, but common sense suggests that if you feel basically normal you are not in immediate danger. Some insurance programs have "ask a nurse" phone lines where you might be able to call for reassurance. I'm sure your GP will get back to you as well. You probably need the tests repeated and a referral to a hematologist if they come up the same.

#6 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

I'm not a doctor, but common sense suggests that if you feel basically normal you are not in immediate danger. Some insurance programs have "ask a nurse" phone lines where you might be able to call for reassurance. I'm sure your GP will get back to you as well. You probably need the tests repeated and a referral to a hematologist if they come up the same.

Basically normal for me these days is low grade fever and significant fatigue, it's a bit hard for me to tell sometimes if I'm ok or not. I did some research and found that a WBC <1.0 is considered acutely dangerous, so I won't keel over and die, but I am concerned about getting an infection.
I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow to actually get in and see my doctor as opposed to discussing over the phone.

Thanks, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: