arrowShare us:

arrowSubscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

arrowJoin Celiac.com's New Online Support Group

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

"glutened"? "contaminated"? What Do You Call It?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 melikamaui

melikamaui

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

A friend recently told me that the word I use when my sons or I accidentally get gluten was really scary. We say that we have been "contaminated" and it never occurred to me that could be construed as frightening until she said it. She pointed out that it was very technical or medical, almost like poison or a nuclear leak, and it freaked her out. I had never thought of it like that. It just is what it is. We get contaminated with gluten. But now, seeing it through her eyes, it makes me wonder...is there a better word out there? Something less clinical and easier for people to handle?

I don't want to dumb down what happens when we accidentally ingest gluten. I'd just like to use a word that is less terrifying to our friends who try so hard to make things safe and wonderful for us.

So what word do you use? "Glutened" has never sounded right to me, but maybe I'll start using it. It does seem less threatening than "contaminated".

edited to fix a typo

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lilu

lilu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Ar our house, we say that food got contaminated. When talking about our internal experience ingesting contaminated food, we say glutened.
Lilu

Wife of a wonderful, gluten intolerant DQ2/DQ2 husband!
Gluten Free home since June 2011

#3 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

I use a wide variety of words depending on the audience and my mood at the time. Here's a nice little list for you:

I'm currently reacting really badly to something I ate
I ate something that I clearly shouldn't have
Glutened
Cross-Contaminated
CC'd
The gluten got me
Poisoned with gluten
Never again!
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
and my most recent "I must be allergic to children I'm getting rashes ALL the time"
Self diagnosed as gluten free as all tests were negative and the doctor was completely useless.

Gluten Free since June 2010
Suspecting soy and milk as of June 2011

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Like Coinkey I have a bunch of phrases.

I ate some gluten and I don't feel good.
I've been gluten poisoned.
I'm having a gluten reaction.
My food was cross-contaminated with gluten.
Uh oh, I think there was wheat in that ____.
I must have eaten something that doesn't agree with me.
...and if I'm in a foul mood becasue someone lied to me about ingredients, an impressive string of swear words.

#5 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the help! I am going to work in the more gentle language. :D

#6 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

i say i got glutened... i heard it on here- and it stuck. my friends think it's pretty hilarious.. i like words that are kinda made up B)
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#7 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:21 AM

why dumb it down for them? You are being contaminated, if that word frightens them, then perhaps it will encourage them to be careful when parparing food for you. To say you've "been glutened" is probably meaningless to anyone but another Celiac.

#8 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

why dumb it down for them? You are being contaminated, if that word frightens them, then perhaps it will encourage them to be careful when parparing food for you. To say you've "been glutened" is probably meaningless to anyone but another Celiac.

That's what I think too. The only reason I would want to dumb it down is because I really care about these friends and I don't want to freak them out. The friend that said this to me had very noticeably stopped inviting us over to her home. She admitted that she was terrified of poisoning us and that was due in large part to the language I choose. The word "contaminated" really scared her. I don't want people to feel like they're going to kill us by having us in their homes. That is the only reason I want to change the word.

#9 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

To my knowledge I have only been glutened glutenated or contaminated once in these past six months but I do not know (and I do not intend to deliberately find out). I do not think "contaminated" is too harsh - it may be the jolt some folks need! :) It is like poison to our bodies, after all. Probably a bit better than walking around wearing a poison or biohazard symbol t-shirt! :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

To my knowledge I have only been glutened glutenated or contaminated once in these past six months but I do not know (and I do not intend to deliberately find out). I do not think "contaminated" is too harsh - it may be the jolt some folks need! :) It is like poison to our bodies, after all. Probably a bit better than walking around wearing a poison or biohazard symbol t-shirt! :lol:

:D Funny!

My youngest is super sensitive so there has been a lot of trial and error with him. He has been contaminated quite a few times in the last year I am sad to say. Twice really horribly, and the rest were "light" contaminations but made him sick none the less. We have found that he cannot eat anything made on shared equipment with wheat and that took a long time to figure out. "But it says gluten free!" he would cry. Now that we know how sensitive he really is he gets contaminated a lot less. And sometimes I do feel like putting a T-shirt with a big poison symbol on him! :P

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

:D Funny!

My youngest is super sensitive so there has been a lot of trial and error with him. He has been contaminated quite a few times in the last year I am sad to say. Twice really horribly, and the rest were "light" contaminations but made him sick none the less. We have found that he cannot eat anything made on shared equipment with wheat and that took a long time to figure out. "But it says gluten free!" he would cry. Now that we know how sensitive he really is he gets contaminated a lot less. And sometimes I do feel like putting a T-shirt with a big poison symbol on him! :P

Oh, poor guy. It is sad when the words "gluten free" sometimes can be so misleading. I recently saw a product state "Gluten Free" on the front but "wheat" was listed under the ingredients. I know it must be under 20 ppm but I don't care. If I can help it no wheat is going to cross these lips of mine.

Maybe we should make some bright orange poison shirts! We would all know each other on sight. :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

i say i got glutened... i heard it on here- and it stuck. my friends think it's pretty hilarious.. i like words that are kinda made up B)

Hee, me too Cass and my friends find it hilarious too.

I would say "I was glutened" but if I'm worried about a food I'd say "no, I won't have any because it's probably contaminated". I want people to realise that take even the chance of a dusting of "poison" seriously. They wouldn't eat something if there was the slightest chance it was contaminated with rat poison, so I think using the term contaminated helps get across how seriously I take gluten contamination.

#13 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:31 AM

I think of it as "gluten poisoning" because it's not unlike real food poisoning :/ I would also use the word "contamination", don't see anything wrong with that :)

"Glutening" is probably the kindest way to phrase it, if people are really that sensitive about the details. They wouldn't want to hear about the result of a glutening then I take it - also too scary? ;)
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#14 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

I think of it as "gluten poisoning" because it's not unlike real food poisoning :/ I would also use the word "contamination", don't see anything wrong with that :)

"Glutening" is probably the kindest way to phrase it, if people are really that sensitive about the details. They wouldn't want to hear about the result of a glutening then I take it - also too scary? ;)

I really like "gluten poisoning". That gets the point across with enough seriousness but still has a softer edge to it than "contaminated". Thanks!

#15 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

u know- i actually use "glutened" when i talk about what might happen to me... but i DO use the word "contaminated" when i talk about the food itself... like when my mom accidentally put the leftover rice pasta in the same container with the spelt pasta- then i say- "ya, i cant eat it, cause the food could be contaminated"
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: