Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

"glutened"? "contaminated"? What Do You Call It?

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#16 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

It's good your friend is taking it seriously. If you think she's afraid to invite you over, why don't you talk with her about it? Reassure her that you appreciate her concern for your health, and that you are comfortable visiting as long as you take the steps you need to take to be safe. For us the basics are washing hands and eating only the food we bring (usually with our own dishes, too). Maybe she just needs to know that *you* are comfortable, and that you feel safe with her, especially given her awareness.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 melikamaui

melikamaui

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

It's good your friend is taking it seriously. If you think she's afraid to invite you over, why don't you talk with her about it? Reassure her that you appreciate her concern for your health, and that you are comfortable visiting as long as you take the steps you need to take to be safe. For us the basics are washing hands and eating only the food we bring (usually with our own dishes, too). Maybe she just needs to know that *you* are comfortable, and that you feel safe with her, especially given her awareness.

I did talk to her about it and it went really well. I think she was scared to death because when my son was first diagnosed I was scared to death. I was freaked out (because he had been SO sick) and I was terrified that every little thing was going to make him sick again. Couple that with the use of a "scary" word and she got spooked. I totally understand why it happened and I'm incredibly grateful that she cares so much about us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: